• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch VS Falcon Menace.....need opinions

Spanky4888

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
TX, USA
I am trying to decide between these two scopes. Either one will be roughly around 4x-18x magnification with 50 mm objective. I will be using this on a Rem 700 in 308 mounted in a Bell & Carlson A5 medalist Tactical Varmint stock. This is primarily just a range toy, shooting mostly at 100 yards but also going up to 300 yards.

I have always had good luck with the Nikon Monarch line, the warranty and customer service have always been top notch.

I do not have any experience with the Falcon Menace scopes. I am looking at the 4.5-18x56. It seems like alot of features for the money. I do not see any mention of warranty and do not know much about them.

What would you advise me to do. They are roughly in the same price range. I am open to any advice or suggestions.

Thanks for the helps folks....

Randy

Re: Nikon Monarch VS Falcon Menace.....need opinions

I don't think this model is being manufactured/imported anymore.

If you are buying used, the warranty does not carry over. There were major issues with the early manufactured units. The two piece tubes were coming apart.

Honestly, at the ranges you are talking about 14 or 16x will do you fine.
I have a Falcon 4-14x and am very pleased with it.

I have looked through the Nikon monarchs and I must say the glass appears top notch and they have a very good reputation.

The problems:
Falcon warranty sucks, but if you buy through SWFA, Robert Snyder or Matt Wonders, you'll have no real issues.

Nikon has a very limited amount of travel and is a SFP scope with mis-matched turrets.

I have the Menace 14-40, and found it to be terrifically repeatable, accurate, and clear. I have the Monarch 4-12x40 coming early next week from selling a bunch of other stuff on eGhey and will duly report here when I mount it to CrazyMauser next week.

I've no experience with the Nikon but I can offer that the Falcon 4-14x FFP is a much better scope than the 4-18x50 (4-18 is still a great scope for the money though). The Falcons offer a lot of features for their price tag and perform genuinely well on heavy recoiling rifles out to long range. They'll never be a Nightforce but its horses for courses...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nikon has a very limited amount of travel </div></div>

This is the biggest problem I have with my 4-16x42 Monarch.

The glass is great but the limited amount of travel is its biggest weakness.

With the limited amount of travel you speak of, what range do you think you are limited to. Assuming flat base.....

If I went with the Nikon Monarch, which reticle do you guys think is better between mildot and the BDC reticle?

Spanky if your only going to 300 yards you shouldn't have to dial much in elevation. I can not comment on the Falcon. The monarch I can. I have had a monarch on a sendero 7 mag for quite a while and it has held zero well. I didn't do a box test on the scope but have read many articles that did and it preformed well. As far as reticle choice it would depend on what you are wanting to do with the scope.
good luck Rthur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky4888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the limited amount of travel you speak of, what range do you think you are limited to. Assuming flat base.....

If I went with the Nikon Monarch, which reticle do you guys think is better between mildot and the BDC reticle? </div></div>

I have a Monarch III 4-16x42 on a .308, flat base. Zeroed at 100m and compared to JBM output, it´s internal adjustment would be enough to approximately 600m - but that is realy to the last click, so I´d assume 500m max with decent repeatability not to take it to the extremes. As a beginner I don´t mind at all. Will buy a 20-30MOA base when I fancy going further.

I think I am going to end up with the Nikon Monarch 4-16x50. Anybody know anything about TPS rings and bases? I am now deciding on rings and base, so if you have had good or bad experiences with certain brands I am all ears.

Randy