• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Nosler ABLR performance on game

762 ULTRAMAGA

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I recently started testing 265 ABLR's in my 338 NM.
I've recovered a few bullets that went through a sump and wet soil and am really impressed with how well they stayed together and expanded.
I've been hearing some reports on another forum that they're extremely explosive
Id really like some feedback from those of you who've used them on game.
Velocity and which bullet used would be awesome.

I shot some of the 162’s out of a 7wsm years ago. Shot one buck at 40-ish yards quartering to and got a half dollar sized exit behind the shoulder. Can’t remember if there was an exit on the second one, just know he didn’t go but a few steps and piled up.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
I've shot several TX white tails with the 142 6.5 bullets at about 2875 from a 6.5x55. Ranges were from about 75 to right around 300 yards. Not much of a test i know but all gave complete penetration with a relatively small exit wound even if it hit the shoulder bones. As a bonus these things shoot like match bullets.

129 and 142 6.5 out of creedmoor, PRC, and SAUM. killed elk, deer, antelope, bears from 30yds to 800yds. Only bullet I'll hunt with now, perfect performance everytime on 30-40 animals. Never had one come apart.
Here is a pic of a 129gr LRAB through both front shoulders of a bull elk at 250yds. Bullet recovered just under offside skin.
20180121_143718.jpg

IMG_4918(1).JPG

And after writing Nosler and telling them how impressed I was with the LRAB performance. They put our pic in their catalog.
IMG_20190207_192541_430.jpg

129 and 142 6.5 out of creedmoor, PRC, and SAUM. killed elk, deer, antelope, bears from 30yds to 800yds. Only bullet I'll hunt with now, perfect performance everytime on 30-40 animals. Never had one come apart.
Here is a pic of a 129gr LRAB through both front shoulders of a bull elk at 250yds. Bullet recovered just under offside skin.
View attachment 7253888
View attachment 7253889

And after writing Nosler and telling them how impressed I was with the LRAB performance. They put our pic in their catalog.
View attachment 7253890
That's awesome, great to hear they held together through the shoulder.
I've had some really explosive failures on elk shoulders with ELDM's, ELDX, and Berger's.
I absolutely want a bullet that'll hold up on heavy bone.

A bunch of guys on another forum have been claiming that the ABLR'S are the most explosive bullets they've ever used, more so than even the ELDM's..
Obviously I'm skeptical of those claims after seeing how awesome the 265's held together at 2800 fps through wood and wet soil.

Here's a few pics of the ABLR's compared to a few recovered Berger 250's through the same stump.
The ABLR's weighed 207, and 168 grains.
The biggest piece of the 250 Berger's I found weighed 60 grains.
IMG_20200214_190240003.jpg

IMG_20200217_161135269.jpg

Reactions: BCX
Very interested in these bullets. I bought some to try but ended up selling right i did cut 2 in half long ways and sideways comparing them to eldx. 142 vs 143 i really liked what i saw with the ablr. But ive heard samething on other places they blow up worse then target bullets then some say hold together better. Ive had great luck with 212 eldx and 200 eldx great bullets. But wanting to try the new 27 nosler and the new 165 ablr bullet

I run 260 ABs at 2800fps in a .375HH for Elk.
Shots behind the shoulder give excellent pass through performance.
I shot a bull at 35yds through both shoulders (deliberate as he was on the edge of a huge ravine and I didn't want to risk him going over the edge)
It dropped him on the spot, broke (shredded) both shoulders and lodged under the skin on the offside.
I don't remember for sure but I think it weighed 94 grains. It was mushroomed nicely despite what it went through.
They are much more fragile than the TSXs that I previously used but I consider this a good thing as TSXs didn't impress me on bear and caribou.(wound channel seemed more like a solid)

I don't have any experience with the smaller calibers but I suspect they will perform very well.
I forgot to mention that I also used a 225gr .338 at just over 3000fps (.338 Lapua Mag) on a sub 100yd antelope. (broadside behind shoulder)
Pencil hole in and a golf ball sized exit wound. It actually made a very short run despite the damage!
I would call that perfect performance but it appeared more explosive in appearance than I expected.
No idea of course regarding the retained weight. I guess I need a fatter antelope or a few of them lined up!
Good luck on your bear!

My buddies both used the 142 ABLR out of 6.5x284’s on bull elk last fall. Muzzle velocity was around 2,975 IIRC.
one shot his at 364 yards, busted the front shoulder and the bull plowed downhill about 30 yards and died quickly. bullet didn’t exit but we didn’t find it when we field dressed him.
second shot his at 300, hit him high and spined him, then shot him from closer range through the lungs. The spine shot lodged in the offside hide, I found the bullet and it was a nice mushroom. Should have kept it as he lost it.

Last edited:
We need more large game captured bullet results, the antelope doesn't count.

Just joking, the bear should be interesting

Keep us posted

well no bear yet, I keep getting pics randomly on my trail camera but so far he can't be patterned.
I found a really accurate load with the 142 in my 6.5 saum, 3 shots at 200 yards just under an inch.
I was shooting across a draw on my property and there was a pretty good cross gust otherwise my cold bore might have been touching the other two, or so I tell myself..
IMG_20200516_175511384.jpg

I'm a fan of the ABLR. I killed a big whitetail with a 129ABLR out of my 6.5CM this year. MV of 2700 fps, hit it high in the neck at 175 meters and still had a golf ball sized exit hole. Dropped on the spot. I was very impressed. I'm currently working up a load for my 280AI with 175ABLR's. Right now I'm at 59.1 grains of RL26 and they're doing 2774fps, which I'd say is respectable for that round with a bullet of that weight. I'm going to keep working though, still haven't hit any pressure with it. Using Peterson brass and 210M primers. Hoping to find a node at 2850-2900fps. If I don't I'll happily go back to the 2774 node.

Reactions: Stache