• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Nother harricane comin

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
Well it looks like another hurricane is about to hit fl. Somewhere on the gulf coast. somewhere between tampa and the big bend area.
You folks in its path even up into ga batten down
This one is predicted to be pretty strong with a shit ton of storm surge. Twc showing 10-15’ of storm surge in the bug bend area.
Those folks not long ago got hammered over there with quite a few business just reopening. Taylor county was just issued a mandatory evac.
10-15 ‘ surge is a shit ton of water moving inland.

3 in the past 13 months right in the Big Bend area.
Big-Bend.jpg

Im surprised anything on the gulf coast is insurable for hurricane damage anymore. I love it down there but you fuckers that live down there are gluttons for punishment. Pretty much asking to get your shit wiped out. Maybe just looking for a real "lost muh guns in a boating accident" situation. Good luck with this one, stay safe and have a hurricane for me.

Reactions: lash
I will say the handful of folks over in the bend are some resilient fuckers. They sure come together to help each other out and get squared away.
There are also a bunch of folks from the east coast of fl that go over there to fish and scallop.
Then when these things hit they go and help rebuild.
True dat. It's a lot less like the rest of Florida. People are more Southern, than what you think about when you think Florida. Except for the money on the coast it's very rural and working class. It's also hard to get to because Tindal AFB (28,000+ acres), The Apalachicola Nat Forest (600,000+ acres), and the timber land that The Port St. Joe company owns (1,000,000+ acres) are MASSIVE. It is the most undeveloped part of Florida. Your are hours away from the nearest Interstate and insulated by huge undeveloped tracts of land. At night you're driving through pitch black pine forests forever.

It does suck, because the Big Bend is historically one of the least hurricane prone places on the gulf coast. I will say that Michael cleared out almost anything that can't withstand a CAT 5. Most of what's still there is 2015 BOCA and 2018 IBC built. My house on the beach sustained minor damage, and a couple of the ones around it were flattened. The Port St. Joe fire chief and his family lived in my house for three months after Michael because their house was gone-gone. There is still evidence of Michael years later. In fact, I would say it's just now completely recovered.

The storm surge is going to probably take out my fence and paver pool-deck again, but I am pretty confident the house itself will be undamaged except for all the no-see-um screens. When you pay $5k per window, that can withstand a 180MPH impact, and the roof trusses are 3/8" cabled to the concrete pylons it tends to be pretty hurricane resistant. The storm surge is the worst, but I have almost 150 yards of wetland and dunes between the house and the beach. The boardwalk will probably get anihilated again...

Fingers crossed that it doesn't get too bad.

I live where Ian made actual land fall. That left a ton of destruction but the worse was the surge of water

Many are still rebuilding two years later. The landscape may never look the same

You guys up north are going to get it bad. If your not inland go
Inland. You can do nothing against the water.

Right now Helen is way away from us and we already have flooding. But we should be fine
Prayers for the ones up
North

Reactions: lash
Nothing real funny guys. Lots of people are about to be financially ruined and or dead from this MF’r

We already have flooding in the Ft Myers Cape Coral Florida areas The barrier islands can’t respond to rescue calls. This in the area it passed by 150 miles away so when it hits it will probably be worse than Ian

A few of us were just up at Atena in Blakely, GA last weekend. They are dead in the sights of this storm. I hope all of them up there’s batten down real well and don’t get a bunch of damage from this.

A friend used to be heavily involved with XTC and LR matches in the Blakely area, but I don’t recall the name of the range. How long have you been shooting there?

A friend used to be heavily involved with XTC and LR matches in the Blakely area, but I don’t recall the name of the range. How long have you been shooting there?
Just the once, this past weekend. Some ELR-ish practice out to 2300 yards. First time there, but I’ll do it again. I live in the Orlando area, so currently not ranges much past 1000, if that, in my close area.

Reactions: EddieNFL
Gonna be a big time tonight down in Florida.

It might not be Michael but it’s related that is for sure. Storm surge up to 20 feet and hurricane driven waves on top of that and High Tide coming in.

Folks who don’t/wont evacuate are being told to write their name/birthdate on their arms or legs with a PERMANENT Marker so the next of kin can be notified. People are so stupid.

For those smart enough to get the heck out of there, prayers to them that they will have something left when they can return.

130 winds now, maybe going as high as 140, and tropical force winds extending out for some distance. And inland Florida and Georgia. Some of our people on the hide live in those parts. We need them in our thoughts and prayers and maybe our wallets after Helene passes through.

IMG_4027.jpeg

Reactions: Im2bent
Gonna be a big time tonight down in Florida.

It might not be Michael but it’s related that is for sure. Storm surge up to 20 feet and hurricane driven waves on top of that and High Tide coming in.

Folks who don’t/wont evacuate are being told to write their name/birthdate on their arms or legs with a PERMANENT Marker so the next of kin can be notified. People are so stupid.

For those smart enough to get the heck out of there, prayers to them that they will have something left when they can return.

130 winds now, maybe going as high as 140, and tropical force winds extending out for some distance. And inland Florida and Georgia. Some of our people on the hide live in those parts. We need them in our thoughts and prayers and maybe our wallets after Helene passes through.

View attachment 8511259

Yikes.

Sounds like it’s going to be expensive.