• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Not sure how to post a picture. The forward rail, receiver and skins all have a different shade of OD. The skins are a traditional OD, the receiver is greyish with a hint of green and the forward rail is more black than OD. It makes no difference to me, but I don't want to take a hit if I ever need to sell. I love this rifle so if I do sell it would be to buy a black market kidney or get out of hawk with the mob.

For those who told me to "just do it" in regards to getting the monopod with my srs...thanks! Definitely improved my shooting and was very simple to use and fine tune. The only thing I'm unsure of is the tightness of the fine tuning. On the one hand it's great because it's so easy to tune to exactly what you want...but I think I may prefer it a bit tighter. Still getting used to the srs though, so I guess I'll figure that out in the next few trips to the range...

DTA HTI .50 BMG

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZ-BdLusbdE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZ-BdLusbdE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hello Chilli,

Yes it is possible to get one in Europe, in fact the first DTA has landed in Austria this week.

If you are interested and let me know what you wish I can get a price for you.

regards

Ewen

My friend Byron from Delta p Design has sent down some rail weights he made to try on my .338DTA. Should be interesting to see what kind of recoil dampening effect they have both suppressed and with the Brake. Stay tuned
railweightassem2.jpg

Anyone had issues with the safety not functioning properly??? Had a great day shooting today...except whatever keeps the safety in place for s/f isn't functioning. The safety itself works...but the toggle slides freely and wont stay on your safe/fire selection. Sounds like I'll have to ship it back as not to void the warranty by resolving myself, which would REALLY suck since I've only had it a few weeks!

I had that problem once, I have the first run rifles. I just held the rifle upside down and it slid back to fire. Haven't had a problem since, dunno what the cause was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone had issues with the safety not functioning properly??? Had a great day shooting today...except whatever keeps the safety in place for s/f isn't functioning. The safety itself works...but the toggle slides freely and wont stay on your safe/fire selection. Sounds like I'll have to ship it back as not to void the warranty by resolving myself, which would REALLY suck since I've only had it a few weeks! </div></div>

Call and ask them. When I had some problems they just shipped me the parts but didn't say anything about warranty but with their customer service I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sent them an email as nobody was available via phone. Hopefully the customer service stays in line with what others have said and I can get this fixed quickly and without too much pain.

I needed some help yesterday and left a message for Mike in the warranty service department. He called me back within a few hours. Be persistent and I'm sure you'll get through to someone who is eager to take care of you.

Mike was very polite and helpful on the phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent them an email as nobody was available via phone. Hopefully the customer service stays in line with what others have said and I can get this fixed quickly and without too much pain. </div></div>

Adjust your creep setting back a little bit. That should take care of it.

Yep. Ethan is tops in my book. He was very helpful when I was ordering the gun and was equally helpful in trying to diagnose an issue I was having before having me contact Mike.

These guys know how to take care of their customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No luck with adjusting creep. I'll give them a call again tomorrow to try to get this sorted. Thanks for the idea though... </div></div>

Really? I'm surprised. I had the same minor issue and when I adjusted the creep back it fixed it. Hmmmmmmm. I may just have to take mine out and look at it because I know exactly what you are talking about. Try unscrewing the over travel but be sure to count your turn/turns so you can return it to the original position. One thing I did was put pressure on the safety and play with the adjustment screws until it is allowed to move. The trigger is so easy to work with you really can't screw anything up. It's just a thought.

Hello folks, I got my SRS deployment kit last week with 338 LM and 308 Win. I have been hitting the range hard. I have yet to find an accurate load for either caliber. I will not hold anyone accountable for my own reloading and of course will build up loads. If you would please PM me your pet loads for either or both I would be very grateful.

For 308 win using:
155 Lapua Scenars
New meticulously prepped Win Brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer
Closest accurate load was IMR 43.3g IMR 8208 XBR

For 338 LM using:
300 Lapua Scenars
New meticulously prepped Hornady Brass, Rem 9 1/2 M primer
Closest accurate load was 91g H1000

Any help would be appreciated.
Ty

Haven't messed with 155's. But here is my 175smk.

44.2 varget
Fed 210s
Lapua brass
2.866 length.

When I do my part that load will shoot .3's @100
Runs about 2600

IMR 8208xbr 155 L in Lapua case 45.+ gr 2920 fps 8.4 mils 1000 yds 3.4 mils 600 yds .7 300 yds sea level, You are in a low node with your load

There are methods to developed loads; one is the OPTIMAL CHARGE WEIGHT method http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ which IMO is the best. After you find the common POI point of impact and the optimum charge weight, you then will tune the OCW load by ajusting the seating depht.

Might seem a little confusing a first but it real is simple and fast. In about 20 rnds you will learn allot read and study the information from the link then do a search here, there are several threads. If you decide to use this method do it like it is written until you have a couple of years loading under you belt.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/ Is a web site that people who use this method post to to exchange information, you can post if you need help with results of you test. Its back to the old thing you have to do the work to understand the process. If you just select loads from other peoples work you will miss an oppertunity to learn a lot.

I did OCW with 8208 from 43.7 to 44.9 at every .3 grains. I have another group set up from 45.2 to 46.4 again at every .3.

My accuracy was between 1" to 1.5 with 1" being 44.3, and the other two groups at 44 and 44.6 being close. I am not happy with this, but it looks like if I keep going higher it may work out.

Thanks!

I've just started testing my reloads, but the following worked best for me so far with my 308:

168g SMK
38.8g RE15
Lapua Brass

The 42g load is supposed to be the "accuracy" load with the 168g hpbt smk, but I've not seen that thus far with my rifle. Will definitely have to do more testing.

As for my 338lm...still waiting on order status from Bauer Arms for my dies:-( Anyone else had an issue with them as I've called and emailed over the past week or so and not heard anything back?

Fireguyty I just got back from the range, ran 100 rds 8208 xbr 155L, ran about .5 MOA when I did my part. If you don't have a method for developing a load and tuning that load you are making things hard on yourself, some use ladder test others ( myself included) use OCW. You can get a handle in about 30 rds, don't look at group size look at for common POI, tunning will come latter.

Millsd if there is a node at 38.8 RL 17 for 168smk its a low one but that might be what you want a 300 yd load. You are aware the 168 SMK were designed as a 300 yd comp bullet ( boat tail cut at a angle to meet that) if you push them up they will fly out to around 700 after that ( unless you are shooting a altitude)they are not get unstable ( note SMK 168 is what I am speaking about). If you do not have a method you might investigate that also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Millsd if there is a node at 38.8 RL 17 for 168smk its a low one but that might be what you want a 300 yd load. You are aware the 168 SMK were designed as a 300 yd comp bullet ( boat tail cut at a angle to meet that) if you push them up they will fly out to around 700 after that ( unless you are shooting a altitude)they are not get unstable ( note SMK 168 is what I am speaking about). If you do not have a method you might investigate that also

</div></div>

I should have noted that in my response. I'm shooting 300 and below right now. Gotta start somewhere and the range close to my house only goes up to 300. They just opened a 1000 yard range not too far away, but I'm going to spend some time closer in to hone my skills before moving out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Public Announcement time, Louis Corkern (aka Later) no longer works for or with DTA and is not associated with DTA and will not be in the future. </div></div>

hmmmm

Just as a follow up to my previous notes...I got in touch with both DTA and Adam and Bauer Arms. Mike at DTA was very helpful and gave me some things to look at to resolve the issue with the safety. Will have to see if those ideas fix the issue, but the customer service experience was positive and on-par with what others have said. As for Bauer Arms, all seems well on that side too. Adam is working through an injury, but my stuff should be on its way soon so I can start reloading my 338:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Public Announcement time, Louis Corkern (aka Later) no longer works for or with DTA and is not associated with DTA and will not be in the future. </div></div>

I'm sorry to hear this. I have had several great conversations with Lewis and value his insight.

Safety issue was an easy fix. I was a bit concerned about doing anything to void the warranty...but once Mike said to crack open the covers and pointed me in the right direction, it was done. For anyone else having the issue, there is essentially a screw with a bearing at the end as a pressure mechanism to get the safety switch to lock into position. I just had to re-adjust that further in and then tighten the top screw that locks the 1st screw into place. The latter was really the issue as it wasn't tightened to hold the primary screw in place, so it clearly wiggled its way out in a short period of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Public Announcement time, Louis Corkern (aka Later) no longer works for or with DTA and is not associated with DTA and will not be in the future. </div></div>

I'm sorry to hear this. I have had several great conversations with Lewis and value his insight. </div></div>

LC was an asset to the DTA Family. He will be missed.Troy seems to be motivated to keep up the good work as well.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doodle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, what? </div></div>

Sucks that he left. Seemed like he loved that job....

Guys,
We are looking for someone to manage our new firearms training facility, applicants must have at least five years of experience in firearms instruction and sales and business management skills are a must, military experience is required.

Anyone who is interested can email me [email protected] or fax a resume to 801-908-6425 ATTN: Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
We are looking for someone to manage our new firearms training facility, applicants must have at least five years of experience in firearms instruction and sales and business management skills are a must, military experience is required.
</div></div>

Man, that sounds like a great opportunity. If only it weren't for that whole relevant skills and experience stipulation, I'd totally be applying! Would love to trade my office for a shooting range:)

Good luck with the hunt Nick.

I'm getting ready to reload for my 338 and based on all the other threads/etc, it looks like 250 or 300gr scenar or SMK and RL25 powder. Any opinion on which to start with for the SRS (250/300 and scenar or SMK)?

Also, I'm about done with my 168g smk for my 308. It's been great for up to 300 yards, but I'd like something for 600-800 yards. Probably going to stay with smk, but curious on opinions of what size for that range in an SRS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to reload for my 338 and based on all the other threads/etc, it looks like 250 or 300gr scenar or SMK and RL25 powder. Any opinion on which to start with for the SRS (250/300 and scenar or SMK)?

Also, I'm about done with my 168g smk for my 308. It's been great for up to 300 yards, but I'd like something for 600-800 yards. Probably going to stay with smk, but curious on opinions of what size for that range in an SRS? </div></div>

I'd stay away from the 250gr SMKs. Honestly stick with the Scenars and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Agreed, the 250 Scenar performs exceptionally in the SRS. I've shot this load to a mile several times:

250 Scenar
Lapua Brass
F215M
94gr RL-25
COAL 3.685"
This gives me 2950fps out of a 26" barrel

Because the SRS chamber is pretty tight I highly recommend you start lower and work up to this load. It's right on the edge of showing pressure signs.

250g scenars it is then...

Still got to figure out powder, but rl25 is readily available around Austin. I'd like to find some vv165, but I don't think it's worth paying the hazmat fee to order it on-line. And they've also got the Hodgdon in plentiful supply, so giving that some thought as well...