Official M14/EBR Discussion Thread

Re: Official M14/EBR Discussion Thread

I've really beel looking at M1A's and/or M14's to add to the arsenal. I think it would be a great compliment to my AR's.
subscribing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling H2O.... </div></div>

Sorry, he's on vacation for not playing well the first time around
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read the rules 34 post hero... and while this is a free country, THIS is a privately owned website with rules regarding the advertising of products.

How about I lock it, ban you, H20man and then I can start a thread dedicated to the M14/EBR.

Nobody is going to the lengths H20man has to promote a single product and he has been warned about it before. </div></div>

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

More to rain on someones parade . Here in alaska , army units are already receiving the M110 kit from Knights Armament all in 1 box complete with optics and mags . allt eh Sage Stocked EBR 's went back months ago to the Department of the Armory in the lower 48

Not sure if the Army is going to fully retire the EBR's as they were intended for the Designated Marksman not the sniper. Unless there has been a major shift the M110 is supposed to be the Army's supplemental Semi-auto Sniper rifle a part of the arsenal along with the M24 (what version .308 or .300WM) the M109 .50 cal. The Designated Marksman program was leaning towards the AMU upgraded M16 upper using the 77gr 5.56 bullet or the EBR for the 7.62

But who knows what each Division/unit has abopted

The M14/M1A is STILL an outstanding system for military, Law Enforcement or sportsmen or HE HE KILLING ZOMBIES!!

So how accurate are the standard "wood stocked" M14/ EBR's ? You see them in the hands of the designated marksmen, and have to wonder how old these are, and how many times they've been rebuilt. Not to mention the variation on the optics mounts.
Are the stocks bedded ?

I'm interested 'cause I just picked up an M1a Springfield off a friend, and I'm contemplating a mount for it.

Thanks....

Lee.

Ok since I really like the M14 and have a couple in standard form I was very interested in modernizing one of them. I saw the Troy Industries video for the MCS does anyone have experience with them? It is kinda ugly but makes a lot of sense to have the stock mounted so that the recoil does not effect muzzle rise as much.

Another question I have is how good is the consistency of the scope mount? I was looking into the Sage stock but it seems that there are problems with it but I have not read any posts on it. I would be happy with a 1.5 moa DMR type gun if it was consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking into the Sage stock but it seems that there are problems with it but I have not read any posts on it. I would be happy with a 1.5 moa DMR type gun if it was consistent. </div></div>

A decent shooting M1A should be around 1.5MOA factory with handloads, a loaded or NM might be a lot better depending on the one you get.

If I bought one of the sage stocks I would get he one with the AR stock/pistol grip. A friend of mine has one with a springfield scout mounted in it and it shoots quite well, muzzle velocity and accuracy similar to my 18" dpms clone.

I had 2 rifles built on the sage stock. One has an 18 barrel the other a 22, both are medium heavy. I had a blast collecting parts for the builds while I was waiting on the receivers to be built. I had SEI inc put the rifles together and they built me two fine Battle Rifles, fit and finish were top knotch on both rifles. I took these rifles to the range and being new to the M1A my first range day was a very,very humbling experience. Rifles functioned flawlessly, the shooter...not so much!! I have a POF rifle I have shot for the past 2 years and thought they would be similar..boy was I wrong!
Maybe its my imagination, but when you fire the M1A you feel alot more going on during the recoil. Just feels way different than the POF. I started shooting groups at 100 yds, 3 shots would be touching and I would have two flyers, was very humbling. After about the third range trip and about400 rounds,I finally got the hang of it. You have to be very consistent with the way you shoulder the rifle, pull the trigger,and keep your follow through after the shot. Any breakdown in form and you will see it at the target.
Now for the fun stuff, I loaded 3 25 round mags of various ammo from different manufacturers; fgmm 168, 175, SA 147gr surplus, DAG 147 surplus, hornady 168, prvi 168, winchester and radway. Shot all three mags as fast as I could and not a hiccup, I know that while not a great test, I was very pleased because of the four rifles we tried it on the M1A was the only one that ate everything that particular day.
In conclusion, I probably ( i have) way more invested in these rifles than I ever could recoup. But they are a blast to shoot and have actually made me a better shot with my bolt guns because I have become more consistent with my form. Not to mention they are just way cool!!

RIFLE BUILD:
LRB receivers
TRW and HRA trigger groups with max-pak
SEI 18 and 22 barrel m80 ht
Sage stock with SEI tops Op rod guide m80 ht
SEI oprods
SEI gas system m80 ht with chrome piston
gas plug m80ht
2006 scope mounts
direct connnect vortex
SEI GLFS hooded

Theres so many really good options its hard to know what will work best for you. Ive done some research but I was a bit lost too.

What kind of optic are you going to mount?

The Wood stock M14s/M1a can be very accurate if setup right. I have a scout M1a in wood that is able to hold a steady 5.5 in group at 300m but that was prior to putting a sage stock on it. I guess I got one of the ?Lucky? ones? I havn't really tested it to see where its at now but I will be at the range tuesday and can provide some reliable info with pictures after that. I don't much trust some of the accuracy claims as I have seen them but I have heard from reputable sources in the armed forces saying that it is a decent system. There are better out there but it works for the short term.

Maybe someone can chime in and verify/dispute?

I recently saw a modified wood stock on a Socom that looked Amazing. Not sure if the guy did the work himself or not but it was a beauty for close in. EoTech, Cheekpiece, etc... Ill see if I can find that as well.

I had some experience with the M14, I like the wood stock for offhand work.

I think it makes it into the top 10 308 battle rifles of all time. I'd take one if there were no FALs, G3s, FNARs etc. available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres so many really good options its hard to know what will work best for you. Ive done some research but I was a bit lost too.

What kind of optic are you going to mount?

The Wood stock M14s/M1a can be very accurate if setup right. I have a scout M1a in wood that is able to hold a steady 5.5 in group at 300m but that was prior to putting a sage stock on it. I guess I got one of the ?Lucky? ones? I havn't really tested it to see where its at now but I will be at the range tuesday and can provide some reliable info with pictures after that. I don't much trust some of the accuracy claims as I have seen them but I have heard from reputable sources in the armed forces saying that it is a decent system. There are better out there but it works for the short term.

Maybe someone can chime in and verify/dispute?

I recently saw a modified wood stock on a Socom that looked Amazing. Not sure if the guy did the work himself or not but it was a beauty for close in. EoTech, Cheekpiece, etc... Ill see if I can find that as well. </div></div>

He has it for sale on m14tfl.com His screen name is HEAD HUNTER.

I spoke to some of the project managers in Rock Island a while back and they were building the EBR's using the SAGE stocks and standard M14's. They where not changing the barrels to NM. The armorers where reporting that the rifles where holding "quarter size" groups using M118LR. The rifles were fitted with Leupold scopes and Harris bi-pods.

Not bad considering that this is with a chrome lined rack grade barrel.

Give a few weeks til I get home and I most likely will have a Fulton armory m14 in a Troy up for sale. So I can get an LMT

Back when 14's were issued, rack grade iron sighted, shooter, and std ball ammo had to do a 4 minute mim to BSZ . Better shooters were (same weapon) always in the 2 min range. Good shooters were about 1.5 min.

Glassed NM sticks and quality shooters, with NM ammo were moa or under, and that was even dependent upon ammo, and some lot numbers of same.

The thing many are missing is the fact, that when the 14's were first fielded with glass, they were always worked within a shooters prefered comfort zone. Some guys worked much closer than others and reach ability, was down the list. Many think a far reach is the ticket when back then, most things would start as short 200 (or less sometimes) and unless your in over watch, stop about 600. The ability of the weapon depends 100% on it's operator, his ability to change tactics on the fly, the target and A/O. The M14's were more than up to the task they were given all over this rock, and that's in AAR's still in typed print.
Reach ability/stand off is nice but, if your doing your job right you will always be set up on them/him before they know your there. Your not there as a long range fire base, and static is only your friend if you want to leak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longbow_06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how accurate are the standard "wood stocked" M14/ EBR's ? You see them in the hands of the designated marksmen, and have to wonder how old these are, and how many times they've been rebuilt. Not to mention the variation on the optics mounts.
Are the stocks bedded ?</div></div>

M14 rifles at the factory were test fired for accuracy. In 1962, TRW M14 rifles averaged 2.5 " to 3 " five round groups with M80 ammunition at 100 meters. IMO, this is the accuracy baseline to adjust expectations from.

M14 NM and M21 rifles have bedded stocks. Some M14 NM and M21 rifles have been issued to U. S. Army units in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is my understanding that the majority of M14 rifles in those areas are rack grade M14 rifles with wood, fiberglass or Sage metal chassis stocks. Some of the M14 rifles built with Sage metal chassis stocks were assembled by TACOM-Rock Island Arsenal and others assembled by individual Army units.

Reference: Howe, Walter J. and E. H. Harrison. “Making the M14 Rifle.” American Rifleman February 1963: 19.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn...I can see already this thread is going to cost me a BUNCH of money. </div></div>

You could probably do it minus optics for under 2k. A troy or sage stock should be no more than 650-700 if you shop around, and ~1200 for a used M1A standard.

Since you're in Cali keep in mind that you'd have to have a mag lock since those stocks have p-grips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Different</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longbow_06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how accurate are the standard "wood stocked" M14/ EBR's ? You see them in the hands of the designated marksmen, and have to wonder how old these are, and how many times they've been rebuilt. Not to mention the variation on the optics mounts.
Are the stocks bedded ?</div></div>

M14 rifles at the factory were test fired for accuracy. In 1962, TRW M14 rifles averaged 2.5 " to 3 " five round groups with M80 ammunition at 100 meters. IMO, this is the accuracy baseline to adjust expectations from.

M14 NM and M21 rifles have bedded stocks. Some M14 NM and M21 rifles have been issued to U. S. Army units in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is my understanding that the majority of M14 rifles in those areas are rack grade M14 rifles with wood, fiberglass or Sage metal chassis stocks. Some of the M14 rifles built with Sage metal chassis stocks were assembled by TACOM-Rock Island Arsenal and others assembled by individual Army units.

Reference: Howe, Walter J. and E. H. Harrison. “Making the M14 Rifle.” American Rifleman February 1963: 19. </div></div>When I see photos of the wars and fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, I see many of the soldiers there using M14's of some variation. They seem quite popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn...I can see already this thread is going to cost me a BUNCH of money. </div></div>

You could probably do it minus optics for under 2k. A troy or sage stock should be no more than 650-700 if you shop around, and ~1200 for a used M1A standard.

Since you're in Cali keep in mind that you'd have to have a mag lock since those stocks have p-grips. </div></div>Thanks...I have plenty of AR's so I'd be looking at something in more of a traditional stock. I keep hoping someone will trade me one for my old Winchester 1895...
wink.gif

What kind of condition is the 1895 in? I know a guy that may be interested. PM me with the details and I will forward the info to him and see if its something he may want to trade for. He has an older standard in wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But who knows what each Division/unit has abopted
</div></div>

True I only know what I saw in the armory and what 4/25 and the AK Nat. Guard are going with. Like you said individual divisions etc will do what they want it seems . Stars and Eagles on shoulders dictate that as we all know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only know what I saw in the armory and what.... the AK Nat. Guard are going with</div></div>

PolishX, Tell me about the present systems of the AK NG.

I was the SARTS Commander until May 92, I taught sniper schools for the Guard using first M1C/Ds and then getting the M21.

What't like up there now. We had a pretty good program but my replacement turned in most of the stuff I spent years accumulating because he didnt want to be responsible for it.

I was pretty good with budgets and was able to come up with funds to take our rifle/pistol teams to Hawaii twice a years, and yearly trips to 29 Palms and Ft Lewis' 4th of July matches, plus more we could sneak in. I understand the that has stopped and now they only travel to NGB funded programs.

When i deployed to iraq in 05 i had to beg for m14 rifles.I was with the 155 armored brigade out of Miss.I wrote a proposal to the brigade commander about said rifles.They said no.Then one day we got a call at the orderly room.They said come get these old relics.I knew what they were and how i would use them.I had 4 plts and got 5 rifles.I would give the best shooter in each plt one and keep one for me ha ha.I asked where the rifles came from nobody knew.They looked like old rifle team guns because they had names and dope sheets on the stocks.4 of them where super heavy barrels and 1 had a lightweight barrel.I also recieved 4 mounts and 4 leupold mark 4 scopes. I know 1 short.So i took the rifles to the OMS shop to have them headspaced and gauged.The shop guys laughed and said we will have search for the tools to work on those weapons.They all gauged good except the lightweight barrel.The bore was to tight.Seeing we were going i thought ill try it anyway.They told us if the rifles didnt work too bad.About 8000 rds of m118lr later we where set.The light weight barreled rifle shot 1 MOA at 100 with iron sights so i kept it for myself.We only got 2 mags per rifle that they bought online somewhere.The mags where not militay marked but all ran fine.I got a friend to send me 10 more mags for a total of 4 per rifle.When we got to Iraq i skulled (i.e.)barrowed a few more mags from the Blackwater boys and carried the rifle instead of my M4 for the rest of the year.Did i mention i love M14s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only know what I saw in the armory and what.... the AK Nat. Guard are going with</div></div>

PolishX, Tell me about the present systems of the AK NG.
</div></div>

What I saw was no M14's at all hadnt been in inventory in a while. "unoffically" I saw 2 Knights M110 kits in hard cases . Harris bipods and what looked like leupold 3.5x10x 40 or 50 scopes. Something in the case might be IR set up or something. It came as a kit from knights though all packaged in nice cut outs. oh and on the M4 front , Aimpoints are being phased out in favor of leupold mk 4 CQ/T

That’s a shame.

When I left we had tons of M-14s of one sort or other. My rifle teams were issued two each, one with the Military 4 grove match barrels for M118s and one with the 6 grove Barrnett barrels for the M852s. Plus I had extras I would take to matches to support juniors.

I also got standard M-14s to issue to the Battalions (10 each) and separate companies so they could have unit teams giving them something to work with giving them a leg up for try outs for the state rifle teams. When I ordered these service grade rifles I got several with the selector switches. We had a ball shooting them full auto, couldn’t hit much but they were fun to shoot.

That’s not counting the M-21s the Battalions had. They were big on snipping in the Scout (Native) units. Our biggest problem was getting funding for the schools, I couldn’t get people trained up enough to support our sniping program.

Even our State Assn had several loaner M-14s from the CMP (Then DCM).

What the hell happened to all my M-14s? Also wonder what happened to the M1C/Ds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcnpthfndr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">these are brand new EBR's we shot this morning, enjoy the pics

147.jpg

144.jpg

135.jpg
</div></div>

SWEET!

Thank you for the pictures and good hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcnpthfndr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">these are brand new EBR's we shot this morning, enjoy the pics

147.jpg

144.jpg

135.jpg
</div></div>

Dudes need to get straight back behind the rifle . . . .
whistle.gif

Seriously, cool pictures, thanks for posting.

BMT

147.jpg

144.jpg

135.jpg
</div></div>

I can't believe no one caught this one.......from Leupolds website

Counterfeited Leupold Mark 4® riflescopes:
In general, most of the scopes appear to originate from Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China), and have “Leupold Mark 4” laser engraved on the bottom of the turret in a silver etch, while the black ring on the objective is etched in white and does not include the name “Leupold”. The scopes also do not bear the old <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Leupold medallion</span></span>, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess. An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring.

lets see who finds it with this hint^

don't take this serious,I'm just bored

they ran well, no issues. getting ahold of sufficient quantities of 118LR is a more pressing issue. i have more pics i will post later and i am running a class/range for them real soon and will get some more pics of them banging steel. I had them confirm zero (per their SOP) and ran steel/targets out to 800. nothing formal, just seeing where their skill set was.

The missing Leupold medallian can be attributed to the Soldiers removing anything that is not cammo. The medallians are just stick ons that sometimes come off on their own. I can assure you that they are real Leupold scopes purchased under contract from Leupold.

Hey EBR Builder, been messing with the EBR/Sage Stock. What a great system. Only problem I found was the 1" sling mounts but I fixed that easily so it now accepts 1.5" wide slings.

Its just a great stock and price is a great value for all the work that went into it. I am going to build up an EBR of my own because I like the stock so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Its just a great stock and price is a great value for all the work that went into it.
I am going to build up an EBR of my own because I like the stock so much. </div></div>

That's cool, but don't go all H2O on us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont worry about that. </div></div>

Gotta love it when a plan comes together
laugh.gif

BTW, how did you manage a 1.5" wide sling on an EBR stock?

EBR, I will be at US Tacticals Booth part of the time, but you can get ahold of me on my cell 510-919-7286. I need to get around and drop samples with various folks. I takeit you want to see the sling/adapter set up? If so send me PM with address and I will get TxE set off to you

H2O, often things written on net are never what writer intended to be understood and are as confusing as this sentence

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

H2O, often things written on net are never what writer intended to be understood and are as confusing as this sentence </div></div>

That's clear as mud... allow me to buy the 1st round or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if I can buy the next two </div></div>

Gotta love it when a plan comes together
cool.gif