Opinions on the new Savage Axis?

I would love to be sponsored by Savage and shoot only their factory rifles at matches. Really curious how they would stack up.
There were two guys at the prs matches this year up in Michigan who were shooting stock clas savages. They did really well. Their only gripe was the actions being a little sloppy.

Never shot an Axis., but with the 10/110 that's their no 3 problem... bolt slop.

No 4 for me is bolt lift.
No 5 is barrel fouling.

No 1 is their lawyer approved trigger that has only a few choices for replacements.

The good news is they all can be mitigated.

While they're accurate, IMO it's better to buy something you don't need to fix, if you can that is. But they can make good shooters while you save up for something you don't need to fix.

Reactions: Cody S
the only reason to buy a savage is if you can't afford anything else and you really need to shoot something.
if you can, get a non threaded barrel. it will be much more accurate and consistent I suspect.
cheap factory barrels aren't stress relieved and when they thread them the ID goes all to hell.

the only reason to buy a savage is if you can't afford anything else and you really need to shoot something.
if you can, get a non threaded barrel. it will be much more accurate and consistent I suspect.
cheap factory barrels aren't stress relieved and when they thread them the ID goes all to hell.
I may well agree with your first statement if you have the “ budget “ Axis lines in mind. However, if my Model 12 LRPV is any good example of their more upper end ( translates to more expensive, like most things ), more target oriented rifles, I wouldn’t. It’s a very well made, tank of a gun that’s VERY accurate and has been flawless through 1300 rounds. And, to my amazement, my 110 Storm in .223 has an action and bolt that are as smooth as my new Tikka. This is only my own personal experience and in no way represents a generalization to all Savage rifles.

I may well agree with your first statement if you have the “ budget “ Axis lines in mind. However, if my Model 12 LRPV is any good example of their more upper end ( translates to more expensive, like most things ), more target oriented rifles, I wouldn’t. It’s a very well made, tank of a gun that’s VERY accurate and has been flawless through 1300 rounds. And, to my amazement, my 110 Storm in .223 has an action and bolt that are as smooth as my new Tikka. This is only my own personal experience and in no way represents a generalization to all Savage rifles.
yeah it was directed at axis in particular, a model 10 or 12 is a significant step up. i still stick with dont get threaded savage barrels. I bought my dad a model 10 over a decade ago when we were learning long range shooting together. the only downside to that particular rifle was the barrel.
it's just the way button rifling works, you really shouldn't thread a button barrel unless you're going to expertly stress relieve it.
yeah the actions work fine, especially if you're careful.

I’m the Savage lover of the bunch here.
Whenever I mention Savage everyone loses their minds on this forum.
I have 8 Savage rifles all of them are Model 10, 110, or 12.
It is not that I can’t afford custom or semi-custom rifles.
I own a couple of them .
It is that I don’t see the value in them.
Also living in Canada we don’t have the same availability of custom actions and when they are available I am paying far more for them than I would in the USA due to import fees and dealers that want to make more profit.

With a Savage action and a prefit barrel I am not at the mercy of a gunsmith.

All of my Savage rifles are setup to run AICS magazines. Most came from the factory this way
and I have zero feeding issues.

The Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger will allow you to get down to around 1 lb for around $100 USD.
There is also a Sav-2 for around $180 that will go down to 4oz.

I install the tactical bolt handle on every one of my Savage actions.
They are $23.00 on special at MidwayUSA
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...4sLBQom6gBtD3Tj5aJIVtT_nhbPpwkJgpg&pid=674002

There is no doubt that the bolt feel on a Savage feels sloppy. Get behind the rifle, especially with the tactical bolt handle, and run against the clock and you won’t feel any bolt slop.

I have never had extraction or ejection problems but kinneys shooting supply sells an extractor/ejector upgrade kit for $28.00.

I have found used Savage model 10 rifles in an AICS chassis for as low as
$800 Canadian dollars.

I have bought a Savage 10FV from Cabela’s brand new for around $500 Canadian and dropped it in an MDT chassis and had a competitive rifle ready to go for under $1200 Canadian dollars with all the upgrades.
This is the load development target from the 12FV Cabela’s rifle. Shot in -20F temperatures on New years Eve 2020.

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-08-04 11:31:40.479494.jpg

You will hear that a Howa 1500 is a better option but not here in Canada.

Some of the Savages before the bolt knobs were replaced.
IMG_2254.jpeg

I can’t help also posting my favorite picture of my Savages with the Tangent Theta and Schmidt & Bender.
I hope that everyone has their angina medication nearby.
IMG_7546.jpeg

The bottom line is that if the Axis fits your budget and you understand that the limitations of the Axis is very little to no aftermarket support then go for it.
If you want to stay in the Savage family but have options to upgrade in then future I would stay in the 10,110,12 family of rifles.
I will reiterate that all of my Savage rifles are running AICS magazines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandit320 and UKMan
I’m the Savage lover of the bunch here.
Whenever I mention Savage everyone loses their minds on this forum.
I have 8 Savage rifles all of them are Model 10, 110, or 12.
It is not that I can’t afford custom or semi-custom rifles.
I own a couple of them .
It is that I don’t see the value in them.
Also living in Canada we don’t have the same availability of custom actions and when they are available I am paying far more for them than I would in the USA due to import fees and dealers that want to make more profit.

With a Savage action and a prefit barrel I am not at the mercy of a gunsmith.

All of my Savage rifles are setup to run AICS magazines. Most came from the factory this way
and I have zero feeding issues.

The Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger will allow you to get down to around 1 lb for around $100 USD.
There is also a Sav-2 for around $180 that will go down to 4oz.

I install the tactical bolt handle on every one of my Savage actions.
They are $23.00 on special at MidwayUSA
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...4sLBQom6gBtD3Tj5aJIVtT_nhbPpwkJgpg&pid=674002

There is no doubt that the bolt feel on a Savage feels sloppy. Get behind the rifle, especially with the tactical bolt handle, and run against the clock and you won’t feel any bolt slop.

I have never had extraction or ejection problems but kinneys shooting supply sells an extractor/ejector upgrade kit for $28.00.

I have found used Savage model 10 rifles in an AICS chassis for as low as
$800 Canadian dollars.

I have bought a Savage 10FV from Cabela’s brand new for around $500 Canadian and dropped it in an MDT chassis and had a competitive rifle ready to go for under $1200 Canadian dollars with all the upgrades.
This is the load development target from the 12FV Cabela’s rifle. Shot in -20F temperatures on New years Eve 2020.

View attachment 8501291
You will hear that a Howa 1500 is a better option but not here in Canada.

Some of the Savages before the bolt knobs were replaced.
View attachment 8501292

I can’t help also posting my favorite picture of my Savages with the Tangent Theta and Schmidt & Bender.
I hope that everyone has their angina medication nearby.
View attachment 8501294

The bottom line is that if the Axis fits your budget and you understand that the limitations of the Axis is very little to no aftermarket support then go for it.
If you want to stay in the Savage family but have options to upgrade in then future I would stay in the 10,110,12 family of rifles.
I will reiterate that all of my Savage rifles are running AICS magazines.

You are one of the first to mention that tactical bolt handle upgrade I’ve read on here. Massive upgrade on all my savages. That bolt handle plus alittle Bore Tech Extreme Gun Grease HD on the wear points creates a ridiculous smooth running action.

Reactions: Thump_rrr
,ynm
yeah it was directed at axis in particular, a model 10 or 12 is a significant step up. i still stick with dont get threaded savage barrels. I bought my dad a model 10 over a decade ago when we were learning long range shooting together. the only downside to that particular rifle was the barrel.
it's just the way button rifling works, you really shouldn't thread a button barrel unless you're going to expertly stress relieve it.
yeah the actions work fine, especially if you're careful.
IMHO the Axis line has afforded many shooters, particularly hunters, of modest means ( “ Poors” in SH’s disparaging parlance ) an opportunity that they might not otherwise have. Savage has sold a ton of them and the ones I’ve seen at the range appeared to have functioned fine.

,ynm
IMHO the Axis line has afforded many shooters, particularly hunters, of modest means ( “ Poors” in SH’s disparaging parlance ) an opportunity that they might not otherwise have. Savage has sold a ton of them and the ones I’ve seen at the range appeared to have functioned fine.
Usually quite accurate in my experience. MDTs cheaper offerings are inlet for a lot of Savage actions.

I own several Savages, all worked out of the box except the B22 precision.
I even have pics of a tangent on my savage lol because why not.
still I suggest you get a non-contoured, non-threaded barrel if you get a savage. the barrel will shoot better if it's not threaded at the muzzle.
I have never had an extractor problem in a savage but I did have an ejector go down. honestly it was fun learning why it went down and how to repair it, it can happen to most any action.

Attachments

• 20240720_232239.jpg
    20240720_232239.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Thump_rrr