• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Optics getting a little blurry!!!!!!

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
When I get to the range my opticsare crystal clear. After about 10 or so shots the view starts to get little blurry so my target is not as crisp as usual. Two questions. 1. Is this heat from the barrel and what is the best way to fix this. Thanks guys

Re: Optics getting a little blurry!!!!!!

Possibly, you have insufficiently adjusted the focus ring or paralax on your scope. When first you begin shooting, your eyes are fresh, so compensating for these errors is easy enough to be almost reflexive. As eye strain sets in, you must work harder and harder to compensate until you no longer have the strength to continue -- then the scope gets blurry.

I tend to have the same problem. After several rounds eye strain seems to be the factor for me. Especially since I wince my right eye to view my spotter with my left, the right takes some time to relax and focus.

two things are happening here...

1st....your particular scope is very eye-relief sensitive

2nd....heat from the barrel is goofing on you in the form or mirage, as was stated by the above posters.

combine the two...and you got a mess working against you in the form of ...what you describe......it even happens with other scopes...but the 8.5x25 amplify's the the perceived hairball.

I agree with the heat Mirage theory as well.

If I have my S&B 5x25 cranked up above about 16 after 10-20 shots on a warm day.....it gets VERY hard to focus. Bring it down to 14-16 power and all is good. I would suggest that next time it happens, try to lower the power setting and see if it goes away to be 100% sure that is what you are dealing with. If so, you can get a Mirage band and easily fix the issue.

Good luck,

M I R A G E. Whats your barrel length? Shorter barrels will show it quicker because they can heat up quicker and the end of the barrel is closer to the objective. Like what was mentioned above, lower your power setting and it should clear up.

Ok I will try. I usually shoot at 20 or there abouts. It is a 27 inch barrels. I will lower my magnification and see what happens. Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the heat waves coming off your barrel. </div></div>

+1

If you watch it long enough you can get a good idea of where the target is and still shoot through the mirage. It's definitely not conductive to right groups though.

Dude, it happens ALL the time in this state. It's because it's humid and cold out. Barrel mirage sucks ass.

I have it happen quite often. I open the action and tilt the barrel up after a string of shots. Some days are worse than others. Almost always seems to happen when I'm trying to do load development...