• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Other Really Accurate .308 Rifles Besides Tikka T3x Tac A1 That Are Comparable?

Looking for an accurate one around this same price. I've been reaching out in other communities, I've considered the 6.5CM, but I really know deep down I would prefer .308, the biggest reason is easy ammo availability and cheaper prices especially for brass. I like the Bergara B14 HM4 but I don't like the fact it only has a 20 inch barrel. I wish it was 22 or 24 inches which the T3x Tac A1 are.

Can anyone think of a .308 that is SUB MOA and maybe even easy to find/swap barrels out on?

Zastava M808. 25” barrel . Not American, not sexy, not light. However, shooting hand loads with old person limitations, .5 accomplished. Rock solid. Will go to the range soon with new Patriot 6.5c . Will advise.

Go buy a Defiance Tenacity SA (Rem 700 footprint). A Criterion prefit barrel. and a KRG Bravo stock. Your less than $2000.00 Will have a Good action, ( side bolt release, M-16 extractor. Stainless Steel). I would not be afraid to shoot it to 1000yds with 175 SMK's. 42.0 grs IMR 4064, 210M primer. This is in .308 Win. With Defiance action would have good resale value. Add a trigger tech trigger.
Defiance already did this for you and sells the complete rifle as their South Fork BadRock rifle brand. Even has the TT trigger and is installed in a Bravo or MDT chassis for under $2K.

I'm a .308Win fan and IMO if you only have one rifle make it a .308Win. I reload my rifle ammunition and it is my experience that it is difficult to keep a .308Win supersonic much past 900 yards even with a tight bore 22" tube. In my experience the factory tubes tend to be significantly slower due to long throats and loose bores.

So if you already have a good shooting .308Win a Defiance South Fork BadRock action in the chassis of your choice in 6mm or 6.5mm CM is going to be hard to beat out to about 1,300 yards with factory ammo.

But if this is your first and only centerfire rifle order that South Fork BadRock in .308Win.

Last edited:
Loving some of these replies lol loving the sense of humor. The Savage idea actually isn't that bad.

I do firmly believe that you don't necessarily have to spend an outrageous fortune to get a very accurate rifle correct me if I'm wrong?
I have Savages in 6 and a 6.5 CM's and both are MOA or less out to 300 yds, that's the limit of my range. Both have the Accutriggers and with a little work they both are the the <10 oz. range.
I have a Tac 1 in 308, thought I had found a gold mine with the ability to load to Tikka mag length 2.95 (+-) OAL. Then went to the range, tested 155,168, 175 SMK's and NOTHING put 5 shots inside 2" at 100 yds. I might just have the occasional lemon. Going back next week and try the same loads/bullets only seated to normal AR-10 Mag. length.. Good thing this LH {maybe that's the problem, the LH models don't shoot, could be that's the reason it was in the classifieds} came with a 260 Rem. bbl.

I'd skip the Tac A1 and find a CTR or any T3x and drop it in a chassis.

I'd do the same with a Bergara or Rem700.

In fact, that's what I did. Couple of T3x and couple of Rem700.

I’d go with a tenacity, prefit, TriggerTech, and krg bravo or a blueprinted R700 action, remage barrel, TriggerTech trigger and krg bravo.

I just dropped my Tikka Varmint into a Matrix chassis love the combo.

Attachments

• 01940A95-45CC-4E02-81B5-A547EDDD341F.jpeg
    01940A95-45CC-4E02-81B5-A547EDDD341F.jpeg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: K80/6.5
You could just play with this idea for kicks.

Show up to a match with this setup, only instead of “a decent stock” use some dirty scarred up piece of shit 2x4. Screw on a scrap wood grip. Don’t do a good job (visually), but make it fit and work perfectly. Bed that damn action to that 2x4 lol!

Stencil “i hurt feelings” on the side. Add the words, “gah damn Savage” on the other side.

Then go out there and hurt feelings!

View attachment 7686316
^Your competition when you win

Edit: really drive ‘em wild by stapling on some fur scraps and slap on an ancient Leupold.
Ok ok ok, re:2x4: just ran across this fine fellow in our own forum, replete with duct tape I do believe.

1629429312040.jpeg

Reactions: buggz
I really like the look of the BadRock Rifles. I live in Missoula Montana and I've been to Columbia Falls numerous times in my life. I literally had no clue they even existed. The .308s from them look amazing. Based on the experiences people have had here, what MOA can I expect from a rifle in .308 from there if I do my part?

My Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor Super Varmint in a GRS Bifrost stock is easily on par if not better than a Tikka TAC A1 accuracy wise.
I'm not knocking the TAC A1, I think they are excellent out of the box rifles.
They aren't the "be all and end all" of Tikka products.
It's worth checking out Tikka's other offerings.

But, I have a Bergara HMR Pro and it's been excellent. I can go to 1,000 yards at MOA with American Gunner 6.5 Creedmor ammo no probs.

Of course I can do that with my Savage 12FV .308, too. But, hey... just gotta use the phone app these days.

our rpr did great at 1k easy on target easy hits easy follow up shots . heck you should be shooting 22lr at 1k 👍 then you can be posting those video's others are doing it you can do it too . just think how much cheaper 22lr is that 308 you could shoot 4x's as much and still be cheaper . but each to there own . good luck finding your gun which ever brand it might turn out to be .

Last edited:
I like those Bergara rifles.
Had a go on one a few months ago at a range shoot.
Definitely understand the appeal.
Options for rifles are endless.
So many to choose from.
Could easily end up with a second mortgage, in order to purchase some of the rigs available.
And then, scopes to accompany the rifle.....🤑🤑🤑

Last edited:
I like those Bergara rifles.
Had a go on one a few months ago at a range shoot.
Definitely understand the appeal.
Options for rifles are endless.
So many to choose from.
Could easily end up with a second mortgage, in order to purchase some of the rigs available.
And then, scopes to accompany the rifle.....🤑🤑🤑
These FN rifles are also really cool though and might be more accurate. I'd never heard or thought of them until people here told me about them.

I really like the look of the BadRock Rifles. I live in Missoula Montana and I've been to Columbia Falls numerous times in my life. I literally had no clue they even existed. The .308s from them look amazing. Based on the experiences people have had here, what MOA can I expect from a rifle in .308 from there if I do my part?

See my post #53. You get a Defiance action with coned bolt semi-controlled round feed, AICS mag compatibility, Trigger Tech trigger, premium match barrel in the proven KRG chassis at a price you cannot build a similar semi custom or even trued R700. Tough to ignore this one.

Most reviews with factory ammo are about 1/2 MOA or better - handloads will likely be much better.

I agree with most of what you say but why would anyone go 308 when the 6.5 is available? 6.5 has a much deeper and tighter throat that makes accuracy easier. You still have to look for nodes but the 308 is just plain dated in a PR. As far as reach your right about distance but no one ‘needs’ a 200 mph car either. Reaching out 1/3 further with the same investment just makes good sense and with the higher average BC the CM is the clear choice. Only reason I can think to go 308 if you’re at the start line is it’s more available because most people went to 6.5. I suppose barrel life also but if your serious about PR a new barrel is a necessary wear part every now and then.
Why 308 when the 6.5 is available?
These days, one word. Ammunition.

Not everyone loads. Buying 6.5CM ammo these days is an expensive proposition, if you can even find any. Everyone wants it. Yet I see regularly see 308 match ammo for sale - not at the prices it used to be, but not at 6.5CM prices either.

I've shot my 308 past 1200 yards, and that's just fine for me. 1moa steel at 1100 is not a problem. Not everyone has a place to go 1500 or more. Plenty of bullets and brass available if you want to load, or you can shoot good quality factory match. I don't deny that the 6.5 is easier to shoot and has the ability to reach farther out. But if you can't find ammunition, it's just a paperweight.

And, +1 for the Ruger Precision. It's a lot of gun and a lot of fun for the money, with tons of aftermarket support. Not as slick as the Tikka Tac-A1, but less money.

Reactions: coderz and YAOG
OP I am just like you: 308 fanboy and like a longer barrel. I have the 20” RPR and it shoots sub MOA any day. But still ended up getting a slightly used Tikka with the 24” barrel for the price of a new RPR. Both rifles shoots really smoothly and accurately. So if price is a concern, just wait a bit for a used Tikka. 308 barrel lasts a long time so no need to be too concerned about barrel life.

Reactions: YAOG
Why 308 when the 6.5 is available?
These days, one word. Ammunition.

Not everyone loads. Buying 6.5CM ammo these days is an expensive proposition, if you can even find any. Everyone wants it. Yet I see regularly see 308 match ammo for sale - not at the prices it used to be, but not at 6.5CM prices either.

I've shot my 308 past 1200 yards, and that's just fine for me. 1moa steel at 1100 is not a problem. Not everyone has a place to go 1500 or more. Plenty of bullets and brass available if you want to load, or you can shoot good quality factory match. I don't deny that the 6.5 is easier to shoot and has the ability to reach farther out. But if you can't find ammunition, it's just a paperweight.

And, +1 for the Ruger Precision. It's a lot of gun and a lot of fun for the money, with tons of aftermarket support. Not as slick as the Tikka Tac-A1, but less money.

Really love all this feedback from you all. As far as .308 vs 6.5 this guy makes the excellent points. .308 has military surplus and is plentiful when compared to 6.5cm.

There's also another huge advantage to
.308 and that is especially with hot loads it seems way better at dropping game, especially large game like Elk and Moose inside of 300 yards.

All else being equal, it has more foot pounds of energy leaving the muzzle. What can I say?