PAPAGALLOS and OGONZALEZ13 need your HELP!! DBM or Floorplate?

What type of hunting is this rifle going to be used for? Are we talking Alaskan sheep and goat backpack hunting or Texas tree stand? I think this makes a huge difference in how this rifle should be built. If it is going to be packed long and deep, go light IE: Floor plate style. If it's going to jump from the truck and sit in a stand or not be packed then DBM and mod the mag release to be small and out of the way. What does the little bit of extra weight mean to you?

There are a bunch of Camo Clad guys over in AStan that have been packing loads and HUNTING for a while now and the extra weight and hindrance of a mag sticking out doesn't seem to bother them too much! :)

After these questions are answered then decide. I think I'd pack a few extra DBM ounces!

Until that day,
Darkop

SAC is building my 6.5 saum. I had the action built for a Wyatt box and mark said he's seen reliability issues feeding the SAUM. He recommended a DBM system 100%. I went went Cdi as it came with the stock I bought but an APA RTG is on my Christmas list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key words here.....dedicated huntin gun.......floorplate, no brainer three rounds, one in the chamber if you can't git it dun with that.....you should be shooting at steel not a critter.

and I believe that several DBM builders fit the same inlet if you or who you sell it to :) what to change it.

just try to bail off the horse, grab the rifle, put in the mag "quietly" cause it won't fit in the scabbard. and jack in a round and still get a good shot off......hunting sometimes less is more.

Idahoorion

Floorplate!!!!!!!!

No, bitch!!!!!! I hope you already ordered the APA for me.

This rifle will see all sorts of hunting situations. I don't mind it being on the midweight side. In fact, I hunted coyotes with ARP (Greg Ballard) in Arkansas last year with a rifle sporting a Surgeon 591 and Sentinel. Was it heavy? Yes. Did I mind it? Not really. Although, Greg made fun of me when I was breathing rather heavy after dragging a coyote and my rifle up a "slight" hill. :D

No, bitch!!!!!! I hope you already ordered the APA for me.

This rifle will see all sorts of hunting situations. I don't mind it being on the midweight side. In fact, I hunted coyotes with ARP (Greg Ballard) in Arkansas last year with a rifle sporting a Surgeon 591 and Sentinel. Was it heavy? Yes. Did I mind it? Not really. Although, Greg made fun of me when I was breathing rather heavy after dragging a coyote and my rifle up a "slight" hill. :D

Well..... Since you two cannot agree to disagree, why don't you both build one
so each of you satisfy the personal specs.. both can be "His" models that way.. :)

On another note, you could cut the stock inlet for a M5. This way you can
run a M5 dbm or a M4 floorplate interchangeably, and you both could
get your own way..

All of my hunting rifles have been floorplate and I have never had a problem running out of shots. But maybe you are really good at managing recoil and running the bolt on a lightweight hunting rifle... and maybe you miss a lot or feel compelled to limit out inside of 15 seconds.

Key words here.....dedicated huntin gun.......floorplate, no brainer three rounds, one in the chamber if you can't git it dun with that.....you should be shooting at steel not a critter.

and I believe that several DBM builders fit the same inlet if you or who you sell it to :) what to change it.

just try to bail off the horse, grab the rifle, put in the mag "quietly" cause it won't fit in the scabbard. and jack in a round and still get a good shot off......hunting sometimes less is more.

Idahoorion

mags001.jpg

mags002.jpg

Really?

DBM. Reasons:
1. Buy two mags - one for the rifle and a loaded one goes in your pocket or pack. No keeping track of loose rounds.
2. Transporting a rifle in some states requires the rifle to be completely unloaded while in transport - either on an ATV or in a vehicle. A DBM makes this way easier.
3. George has it on his Elite Hunter and In George We Trust.

check your local regulations on this. in california you must remove the rounds from the magazine you can't just remove the mag from the gun. they=a bunch of commies i vote the dbm with the saum cartridges you may only get 2 in the mag with a floor plate and 3 in a ai sa magazine

Last edited:
I'm on the DBM side. The rifle feeds better with an AICS magazine and it's easier to load and unload, I hate hitting the release button only to end up with all the bullets ending up in snow.

Pat, nice scabbards there! Ok, I should have said most, like the way they fit the scabbards to the mag. and scope. any of my three wouldn't be close. My uncle mikes does fit the LRHS tho, love that low turret.

Idahoorion

I'll be of no help for the count. I've hunted for about two decades with a BDL without issue; bear deer yotes and so on without issue.
I'm in the middle of a build (the devcon is drying on the bed job as I type) on a hunting rig that will have a BDM. As of now, I vote BDM as that's the route I'm heading, but the BDL has done just fine.

Last edited:
That 'yote's draggin' awful close during flea season. Unless you've already got them....in which case, carry on.

As far as the question at hand - I prefer floorplates on hunting rifles, but you can't go too far wrong with either.

papa's already got the fleas...

I'm a detachable mag fan. I store all my rifles with an empty magazine, so leaving one at home isn't a concern for me. I don't care for fumbling around with loose rounds in my pocket. While hunting I find it much easier to just stick the loaded magazine in my pocket if I need to unload the rifle. Faster load time then too.

I don't think I could go back to a BDL, but it is just my opinion. We build a lot of different rifles including lighter-weight hunting specific rifles and many customers do want a BDL for the classic, sleek look and feel.

The APA is a quality part for sure. Great choice for a hunting rifle.

No right or wrong here. All just personal preference. I vote DBM.

Mark

DBM...with 5-round mag, unless I'm waiting for varmints/predators - then 10 rounds is awesome.

I saw too many people using the excuse that you're screwed if you forget your mags.....
Most people who forget their mags would also likely forget their ammo....but, you could at least find some ammo nearby...That is unless you're using a SAUM or any other popular wildcat rounds we discuss nonstop on this site....so again, you're screwed. You ain't finding 6.5 SAUM at the local Roadkill Bar & Cafe outside of Livingston MT. ;)

Either way...If you forget just your mags, put one round in the tube and hunt on without the mag.

Last edited:
I'm a detachable mag fan. I store all my rifles with an empty magazine, so leaving one at home isn't a concern for me. I don't care for fumbling around with loose rounds in my pocket. While hunting I find it much easier to just stick the loaded magazine in my pocket if I need to unload the rifle. Faster load time then too.

I don't think I could go back to a BDL, but it is just my opinion. We build a lot of different rifles including lighter-weight hunting specific rifles and many customers do want a BDL for the classic, sleek look and feel.

The APA is a quality part for sure. Great choice for a hunting rifle.

No right or wrong here. All just personal preference. I vote DBM.

Mark

I agree, Mark.

OG13 is a stubborn bitch, but he broke. In fact, he ordered two APA DBMs yesterday. :D