• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Picatinny Scout Mount for K31

Huck1969

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
California
I need a Picatinny scope mount to replace the rear sight on a K31. I have done an exhaustive search and can only come up with weaver style mounts, not true 1913 MIL SPEC Picatinny, and there IS a huge difference in slot spacing. Can anyone out there help? Thanks.

Re: Picatinny Scout Mount for K31

Thanks Treebasher for the link to S&K. I have bought three mounts from them and they are very solid but I'm looking for a Picatinny base and their's are not; they are weaver. As I explained in my post, a lot of shooters think they are the same but Picatinny bases have evenly spaced deeper slots and usually have squared edges matching the 1913 Military Specification for the rails found on all modern military rifles, accessory rails, etc. Weaver bases have arbitrarily spaced slots that are more shallow and have rounded edges. Why do I care? I use Quick Release rings on my scopes and one piece Picatinny bases on all my rifles so as to be able to interchange scopes and rifles with a return to zero after dialing in the appropriate elevation and windage correction for that rifle with that scope. Sounds like nonsense to those that dedicate one scope to one rifle but it really works and I've been doing it for about five years. A practical way to use an expensive Night Force or Leupold scope on more than one rifle. Picatinny bases are often called "Tactical Bases" and found on all sniper rifles.
Yesterday I spoke with the owner of S&K and after explaining why I needed Picatinny he acknowledged the advantage of that slot spacing and said he would switch to Picatinny spacing on his next production run, in about four-six months. A final note, weaver rings will work on a Picatinny base; that is why you will often see "Weaver/Picatinny" advertised on a base that is really a Picatinny or sometimes just weaver.
Thanks again for your reply. Still searching.

Huck