• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Pistol Immediate Action Drill

criticalw88

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
CA, United States
What is the preferred pistol immediate action drill?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Procedure #1</span>
Slap the magazine
Rack the slide
Tap the rear of the slide (to verify battery)
Bang

or...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Procedure #2</span>
Slap the magazine
Rack the slide
Bang

I am sure the majority are of the procedure #2 mentality, but why not add the "Tap the slide (verify battery)" in case of soiled ammo, chamber or bolt? This step is painless on hidden-hammer weapons such as Glock and Springfield (XD).

Re: Pistol Immediate Action Drill

because it wastes time and would push the pistol way off target.

And if your not real disciplined has a very large possibility of negligent discharge by shoving the pistol forward(possibly with a finger on the trigger)

Also since a lot of places teach techniques that would work well with all pistols your first technique would suck when smashing your plam into a hammer or beavertail.

IA procedures are in part dictated by how much you shoot and how familiar you are with the platform. If you shoot that platform a lot you will come to intuit what the problem is by the feel and by sound.

For me if I am mid mag - it is just rack / bang - tap is a waste of time and I know that.

If it feels sluggish on the way back to battery I know I have to smash the back of the slide forward.

If I am not at slide lock and I have just seated a mag and then have a failure (generally going to be the second round b/c there is still in the pipe) then I go TRB.

Assess isn't generally part of it for me. I can see via peripheral vision a stove pipe or DF.

If you have that level of familiarity, IAs get cut down. If not I think TRB is the place to start. I think assess is a time suck as a standard protocal and you will pick up most of defugalties via peripherals.

Smacking the back of the slide as a standard is a time suck as well. If you routinely need to do this you either have bad ammo or need to do some maintenance.

Good luck

Tap, roll, rack, assess

Slapping the back of a 1911, M9 or any other exposed hammer auto is not going to help a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me if I am mid mag - it is just rack / bang - tap is a waste of time and I know that.</div></div>

Ever smack a pistol against something? Those mag releases stick out a bit. It is absolutely possible to fire half a mag while moving to a new position, jar, bang, or partially trip the mag release and have a FTF on the next round. In that case racking the slide will do nothing for you. Immediate action is so you don't have to think about what happened. Just do it and drive on. If it doesn't solve the problem then you need to take cover and fall back to remedial action.

Too many times folks over think the problem.

Familiarity with the platform is one thing. Familiarity with yourself under fire is another. I know I am liable to do stupid shit. I keep the drills simple so when my brain takes a vacation in a firefight I can still live to be pissed about it later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assess isn't generally part of it for me. I can see via peripheral vision a stove pipe or DF.</div></div>

BTW, Assess as we teach it is to assess the target to determine if it still needs to be engaged. Not to assess the weapon. If you have to assess the weapon you are in remedial action not immediate action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... If you have to assess the weapon you are in remedial action not immediate action. </div></div>

and should seek cover promptly if situation dictates...

tap,rack and go, and also remember, tap rack and go doesnt work with all malfunctions ie double feeds, where you have to rip the mag out and re-insert a new mag, but you'll know when that happens since the slide wont release worth a damn.

Hope to get flamed for this, but I don't bother with the tap/rack/bang drill. I figure if I have a double feed I will waste valuable time trying the tap/rack thing; so I've drilled myself to forcibly remove and retain mag, lock slide back, reinsert mag and release slide catch. On my carry gun I can release the slide catch by reinserting the mag hard enough, and that shaves a couple milliseconds off as well.

Also, whenever I insert a fresh mag I give it a slight tug to make sure its seated properly.

Also Also as well, when reloading I keep the pistol close to the body but maintain a sight picture at the target/threat, you should not have to use your eyes to reload, and by keeping a sight picture you will save time trying to reacquire a target as well as maintaining situational awareness. (ie you do not lower your pistol and look down at it to reload, perform the reloading drill with the pistol up and at eye level. This way you can see your target and the mag being inserted at the same time.

Snap Caps. At least 2 mags full. Go through the mags practicing malfunction drills, and then when you have them programmed as second nature, start learning the drills with your weak hand.

One problem i see with retaining the same mag while clearing a double feed is that that mag you just had the double feed with might be the problem. So for me i would opt for a fresh mag from the pouch. Also with all my glocks i can make the slide go home while slamming the mag into the magwell, but can it be done everytime? Not for me. So as a precaustion i rack the slide once more. If their is a round in there it will eject, i rather lose one round than pull the trigger and hear the echoing sound of "click" and no bang. hope it makes sense. as with anything i always keep an open mind about different peoples techniques.

With respect to Procedure #1, is not the tapping of the rear of the pistol slide similar to the venerable "T" of the S.P.O.R.T.S M16 immediate action drill?

For the uninitiated, Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe ejection of the case, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, and Shoot. My point being that perhaps a pistol version of SPORTS is relevant for the same reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap, roll, rack, assess

Slapping the back of a 1911, M9 or any other exposed hammer auto is not going to help a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me if I am mid mag - it is just rack / bang - tap is a waste of time and I know that.</div></div>

Ever smack a pistol against something? Those mag releases stick out a bit. It is absolutely possible to fire half a mag while moving to a new position, jar, bang, or partially trip the mag release and have a FTF on the next round. In that case racking the slide will do nothing for you. Immediate action is so you don't have to think about what happened. Just do it and drive on. If it doesn't solve the problem then you need to take cover and fall back to remedial action.

Too many times folks over think the problem.

Familiarity with the platform is one thing. Familiarity with yourself under fire is another. I know I am liable to do stupid shit. I keep the drills simple so when my brain takes a vacation in a firefight I can still live to be pissed about it later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assess isn't generally part of it for me. I can see via peripheral vision a stove pipe or DF.</div></div>

BTW, Assess as we teach it is to assess the target to determine if it still needs to be engaged. Not to assess the weapon. If you have to assess the weapon you are in remedial action not immediate action. </div></div>

Well stated.

Pistol awareness is a learned experience from setting up failure drills and executing immediate action drills as part of your training regiment, this is critical to proper pistol education, murphy will crap in your bed so you might as well train for it. With that being said we do tap rack bang which resolves a large percentage of issues. If TRB does not get it done seek cover then dump the mag,rack the slide a couple of times insert a new mag rack the slide and your back into the hunt. We do not teach a reload with retention as the situations we deal with do not typically call for the need to be able to refill mags in the course of a fire fight. While behind cover and with your gun back in the fight you can reach down and retrieve your discarded magazine if you feel the need. We teach if you do retrive your mag do not put it back in the mag pouch as the magazine may be the issue and reinserting the mag during another reload may put you back into a bind, but the ammo in the mag may be of use later, put it in a pocket or dump pouch. As has been stated earlier you shoot your pistol enough and set up failures to work through them you will "feel" when the gun does not go into battery or you have a double feed. Stove pipes are generally easily enough seen that sweeping the hand over the slide and grasping the slide to rack it in one motion generally solves that issue. I have a slight advantage being left handed as the ejection port naturally cants to the left when clearing stoppages and gravity helps clear it. Just to reinforce what has already been said manipulate your pistol out in front and up so that you maintain situational awareness and you are able to get your gun back in the fight immediately upon resolving your issue. One of the key points I try to teach where reloading is concerned is "reload when you want to, not when you have to". Shooting to slide lock can really suck when the bad guy still has bullets. The other thing is get off the X move if you have a stoppage at least take a step to the side while perfoming your clearence. Also work into your training clearing stoppages with one hand to include you support hand. Be safe, train smart.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap, roll, rack, assess

Slapping the back of a 1911, M9 or any other exposed hammer auto is not going to help a bit.</div></div>

This has got to be a typo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ever smack a pistol against something? Those mag releases stick out a bit. It is absolutely possible to fire half a mag while moving to a new position, jar, bang, or partially trip the mag release and have a FTF on the next round. In that case racking the slide will do nothing for you. Immediate action is so you don't have to think about what happened. Just do it and drive on. If it doesn't solve the problem then you need to take cover and fall back to remedial action.</div></div>

Never have had these problems and by the grace of God when I have tripped I have had enough sense to not have a finger on the trigger. Doesn't mean I won't have issue at some point in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too many times folks over think the problem.

Familiarity with the platform is one thing. Familiarity with yourself under fire is another. I know I am liable to do stupid shit. I keep the drills simple so when my brain takes a vacation in a firefight I can still live to be pissed about it later.</div></div>

I'm a civi and thankfully I have never been shot at so...I dunno. I do know that a have a dozen dummy rounds for both my carbine and my pistol that get thrown in the pile most sessions and I work on this a lot. I also know that ambi for the sake of ambi and extended whammy jammys on guns that you might need for things other than games can cause unintended problems and represent snaggy things. I also know that there are certain holsters and means of carry that deny the vast majority of unintended bump related problems. And while I believe in K.I.S.S.; I do not believe in dogma for dogma's sake. Why waste a move when you don't have to? If you know what the problem is by sound or by touch - fix that problem only, not a litany of things that aren't wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, Assess as we teach it is to assess the target to determine if it still needs to be engaged. Not to assess the weapon. If you have to assess the weapon you are in remedial action not immediate action. </div></div>

Thinking more of the "O" in S.P.O.R.Ts - yet another wasted move in most cases.

If it is really a problem - part of your practice should be transitions and / or sprinting to cover to fix it.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap Roll/Rack Bang.

</div></div>

Why roll? If it needs the roll you have a bad ejector. This is a wasted move.

Good luck

Click means move - FAST - to cover while bringing
pistol to eye level, shooters palm to face, muzzle 45 degrees up.
This will aid in picking up movement downrange. Tunnel vision is a nasty thing, don't get caught with your head down.
SMASH the mag into the well (I've seen way too many high speed heros taping the back of their guns because under stress they get all fcuked up - no shit they TAP on the tops of their pistols! AFU)
Muzzle towards target while ROLLING the pistol slightly, just in case big fingers or gloves partially cover the ejection port. (Gravity is a good thing sometimes)
Grasp rear of slide (if decocking lever present use ring and pinky finger to apply upward pressure on the lever)
Aggressively punch the pistol forward towards target while simultaniously pulling slide to rear.
Pistol is back out towards target, regain proper two hand grip and RE-EVALUATE - shoot where reasonable and necessary.
But hell, what do I know?

Mr. Hail,
If you fill out your profile we will have an idea of what you do know.
smile.gif

Well articulated point, and spot on.

providing no squib round,

1. roll, rack...no response go to #2
2. Tap, roll, rack, bang, assess, if that don't work, #3
3. slide lock, rip mag out, roll, rack two or three times (while noticing if the shell is in the chamber- extractor problem), put in fresh mag, rack, bang.

if that don't work go to the one on your ankle or run like hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">providing no squib round,

</div></div>

The odds of a squib that disables a revolver compared to a jam that causes a malfunction in an autoloader is hardly measureable. This kind of reliability made the revolver the weapon of choice for the tunnel rats operating in Cu Chi, Vietnam.

Not trying to get off topic …. Just sayin’

My failure drill is TRB Most of the time failure can be avoided my verifying a round has actually chambered and it in battery.

we taught assess as first step so you know what stoppage youre clearing right off the bat. granted this will likely be intuitive if youyrer familiar with your piece but seems silly to wast time tappin and rackin a double feed, or wasting a round cuz you racked on a stovepipe that could have been raked clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap Roll/Rack Bang.

</div></div>

Good luck </div></div>

The "Roll" part was taught so that gravity also aids in getting the spent brass or bad round out of the way.....sometimes I wonder if it's works, but last week I was in a pistol training class & had a dud round during a pop-up target drill. I went immediately to Tap & Rack.....& completely forgot the Roll.....even after doing it for freaking years!! LOL!

I am fully aware of why it is taught. It is a wasted move. If your ejector isn't broken and your extractor is able to pull the case - your ejector will pop the case out on its own. Thus to do this as a standard response is a waste of time.

Good luck

1. Tap (optional)
2. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Access</span> Assess
3. Rack

Outside of "setup" drills and dummy rounds in training. every "click" I have had in competition was followed by my "trained response" to tap the gun while looking at the chamber then racking.

When the slide was home I had already tapped the mag while checking and finding the chamber area clear so I racked the slide and kept shooting.

Roll = wasted time

When I have had a stovepipe, my mind saw something and "rake racked" the slide without a tap because I diagnosed the issues and went to the problem instead of a routine.

All that happens in less than a 2 count.

I am coming into the discussion a little late, but thought that I would chime in on the "roll" portion of the discussion.

Like others in the thread, I teach handgun training on a regular basis to both basic and advanced level shooters. Adding the roll to the "tap-n-rack" was taught to me about 10 years ago, and I brought it into my training toolbag. Since then, I have seen the roll ignored by some and used by others during training. I can say with absolute certainty, that if the roll is ignored, you will eventually fail during an easy malfunction drill because the "garbage" didn't get clear of the working parts. I think that this is especially true for advanced shooters, because the hand speed / weapon manipulation occurs so quickly, you don't give the "garbage" a chance to get away from the working parts. (There are a multitude of things that can can cause an immediate action drill, and not all of them will have the "indicator" of a piece of brass hanging out of the gun.)

I think a shot timer and an honest effort will show those that don't believe in the roll that there is almost no difference in time. If you train yourself to do it, you will (should) react as trained without delay.

An interesting debate is which way to roll. (As it has been already stated in the thread, during any weapon manipulations you need to keep the handgun high and in the bottom of your vision.)

For right-handed shooters:
If you roll clockwise, 90 degrees port down, it blocks your peripheral vision of the port and is awkward to rack if you are right handed with a stuck case. (because the gun is high and your wrists are in strange positions)

If you roll counter clockwise, 180 degrees port down, it "seems" to take longer, but you can keep the gun high and you can see the port without "looking". (Can you guess which one I like?)

I have not raced myself on the clockwise vs counterclockwise, but I am guessing the difference is 0.1sec or less with a little repetition.

My $0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap Roll/Rack Bang.

</div></div>

Good luck </div></div>

The "Roll" part was taught so that gravity also aids in getting the spent brass or bad round out of the way.....sometimes I wonder if it's works, but last week I was in a pistol training class & had a dud round during a pop-up target drill. I went immediately to Tap & Rack.....& completely forgot the Roll.....even after doing it for freaking years!! LOL! </div></div>

Yeah, I've been taught to roll/rack in clases but usually end up with a halfassed fling/roll when I'm shooting comps and the my pistol stops running.

MZB- Your point in skipping the roll to save time is well taken, it may not be necessary in most cases though the instructors I've worked with all swear it's the way to go.

ymmv...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am fully aware of why it is taught. It is a wasted move. If your ejector isn't broken and your extractor is able to pull the case - your ejector will pop the case out on its own. Thus to do this as a standard response is a waste of time.

Good luck </div></div>

You're not taking into account if you have a double feed or debris rolling around in your chamber/slide causing a jam.

Seat the magazine (#1 reason for a malfunction)
Grip and rip, aka; rack, the slide
Reassess the situation (shoot or don't depending on the situation.

I having been reading a bunch of posts with people wanting to reinvent the way immediate action should be done. Seating the magazine is a waste of time??? Spend 8 hours with anyone from a beginner to a intermediate skilled shooter and you will observe more than one Failure to Feed because of a unseated magazine.The 3 steps of immediate action are there for a reason, skip one step with out having a good idea of what the problem is and it will create more of a lull concerning your ability to shoot bad guys in the face.

I have hundreds of hours working and instructing malfunctions on several weapon systems. I will bet my AI AW 300wm 2.0 with S&B glass on it that following those 3 steps will be faster and more efficient than any of the hybrids mentioned.

The roll has been introduced in a lot of LE and military training because you are using gravity to assist in clearing the malfunction. It actually is pretty smooth..as your finishing your tap, you are already beginning to invert or roll and then your into your racking move. I have seen gravity play an important role in some stubborn malfunctions. Its free, why not use it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am fully aware of why it is taught. It is a wasted move. If your ejector isn't broken and your extractor is able to pull the case - your ejector will pop the case out on its own. Thus to do this as a standard response is a waste of time.

Good luck </div></div>

You're not taking into account if you have a double feed or debris rolling around in your chamber/slide causing a jam. </div></div>

If that is the case, I am dropping the mag and vigorously racking the slide. Which is a bigger hole? The mag well or the eject port? This is no different than with a carbine.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brock248</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The roll has been introduced in a lot of LE and military training because you are using gravity to assist in clearing the malfunction. It actually is pretty smooth..as your finishing your tap, you are already beginning to invert or roll and then your into your racking move. I have seen gravity play an important role in some stubborn malfunctions. Its free, why not use it? </div></div>

It is an inefficient use of time.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seat the magazine (#1 reason for a malfunction)
Grip and rip, aka; rack, the slide
Reassess the situation (shoot or don't depending on the situation.

I having been reading a bunch of posts with people wanting to reinvent the way immediate action should be done. Seating the magazine is a waste of time??? Spend 8 hours with anyone from a beginner to a intermediate skilled shooter and you will observe more than one Failure to Feed because of a unseated magazine.The 3 steps of immediate action are there for a reason, skip one step with out having a good idea of what the problem is and it will create more of a lull concerning your ability to shoot bad guys in the face.

I have hundreds of hours working and instructing malfunctions on several weapon systems. I will bet my AI AW 300wm 2.0 with S&B glass on it that following those 3 steps will be faster and more efficient than any of the hybrids mentioned. </div></div>

CB - agree. If someone is at the bottom of the learning curve - don't skip a step. However if someone is elsewhere on the continuum and instantly knows what is wrong, there is no point to wasting a move in the effort to fix it.

Good luck

Mo_Zam_Beek:

I think that you are "adding" a step to an immediate action drill: identification. It is my understanding that if you stroke the trigger in the middle of a gun fight and it doesn't go bang, you immediately and without a moment's delay perform a immediate action drill. (You also need to get your feet moving.) If you are pulling the weapon to a position to identify the culprit of the malfunction, and then clearing it, you are <span style="font-weight: bold">not </span>doing an immediate action drill. You are clearing a malfunction.

When we used the 1911 it was tap, rack, squeeze. When we went to the M9, the procedure ultimately went to tap, rack, flip (safety), squeeze. Yes some doofus' would leave their M9 on safe when re-holstering and it was quickly learned that TRS or TRB wasn't going to work in those cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mo_Zam_Beek:

I think that you are "adding" a step to an immediate action drill: identification. It is my understanding that if you stroke the trigger in the middle of a gun fight and it doesn't go bang, you immediately and without a moment's delay perform a immediate action drill. (You also need to get your feet moving.) If you are pulling the weapon to a position to identify the culprit of the malfunction, and then clearing it, you are <span style="font-weight: bold">not </span>doing an immediate action drill. You are clearing a malfunction.
</div></div>

LittleB - I agree with everything you are saying, except that isn't what I am saying.

What I said in my very first post:

<span style="font-style: italic">If you shoot that platform a lot you will come to intuit what the problem is by the feel and by sound. </span>

For anyone out there that is having trouble getting their head around that - I *assume* everyone picks up the audible cue created by the last round in a carbine? We pick up on that sound and we don't try and execute TRB (or TRRB for some of you dogmatic types). You know what the problem is and solve for it directly. Same deal - it is a level of familiarity with the platform that extends to the point where you are recognizing the problem as it happens by sound or by feel and solving for that problem alone.

Good luck

Ahhh...Ok. I see what you are saying. I agree with it too. Sometimes things are intuitive in weapons systems, and then there is intuition into the circumstances.

i.e. weapon systems: I primarily shoot Sig Sauers, and my thumb has a habit of riding up on the slide release/lock. Most of the time the slide won't lock to the rear when I have an aggressive grip / shooting. So, it appears that I have a malfunction when I run dry, but I know that it is my thumb that caused the failure to lock to the rear, so I go straight to loading.

proc. #2

adding steps gets you nowhere, like said by the others if you shoot a platform enough you come to know what you have by "feel" for the most part. i know when my m4 is a jam or empty, just as i can usually tell when the slide on my sig isn't seated all the way from a stovepipe, etc. TRP will get you goin 99 percent of the time, if not find cover and fix your shit
laugh.gif