Ply for long range target practice

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Just wondering if anyone has tried using sheet ply for a long range target to get some practice on. Was thinking like a 4ftx4ft ply painting it white and maybe with some reflective tape on top and hanging by chains.

Will a 6.5mm round move this enough to see impacts from 1000+m? or will it simply punch straight through without being able to tell?

Thought this might be a good way to practice and see results with less cost not really realistic to get a 4ftx4ft steel plate.

Maybe I’m confused but if you are talking about plywood then the bullet is just going to go right through it and not move the wood at all. Half the advantage of the steel is hearing the round hit and seeing the large splatter mark that the round leaves

hi yes I was thinking ply wood that was reasonably thick, I was thinking at those distances with a 6.5 it wouldn't punch through so easily and might cause the wood to wobble etc. Ive never shot steel at all only cardboard I wear both ear plugs and earmuff as my rifle is as loud as fuck with a break on would you still hear impacts on steel at 1000 plus do you think?

I can see my impact on steel at 1,100 if there isn’t a ton of mirage. Haven’t shot past that. I don’t see how you would see any actual hits on the wood without having to go up and look at it. Decent steel targets are not that expensive and last forever

Hearing steel is all about wind direction. With a 6.5 at 1000, any amount of tailwind can make it difficult to hear impact. With any amount of headwind, you can hear it MUCH farther than 1000.

A good part of it depends upon the steel thickness and the hanging method. I have a 2/3 IPSC in 3/8" AR500 that is mounted on a T-post with a spring mount bracket. That steel sings out loud and is easy to hear in any winds out to 1000, even in a heavy rain. I haven't shot it further than that. At distances past 1000, we use 1/4" AR500 and even mounted just on straps, it rings very nicely. Mount it on springs and it will ring like a bell.

Just wondering if anyone has tried using sheet ply for a long range target to get some practice on. Was thinking like a 4ftx4ft ply painting it white and maybe with some reflective tape on top and hanging by chains.

Will a 6.5mm round move this enough to see impacts from 1000+m? or will it simply punch straight through without being able to tell?

Thought this might be a good way to practice and see results with less cost not really realistic to get a 4ftx4ft steel plate.

First of all, you certainly don't need a target that is 4 foot square, plywood or otherwise! Thats going to be difficult to move, awkward, heavy, etc., & is simply unnecessary. Even at 1000 yds most people will only use anything from a 10 inch target (moa) up to say an IPSC sized target (18" x 24"). Most LR matches use targets around 2moa or thereabouts which is more than sufficient. I have seen 4 foot square targets out at distances past 1 1/2 miles but thats well beyond a 6.5's capability. I would suggest you consider getting a few IPSC targets, a few inexpensive target stands that utilize furring strips to mount those & maybe a combination of paper targets you can attach to the IPSC cardboard targets (self-adhesive or staple them) The IPSC targets (cardboard) can be stapled to the wood strips using very inexpensive steel stands that are available from various sources on the web. Small steel AR500 targets are very inexpensive as well and will last a lifetime of use for most. There are numerous ways to mount these that are commercially available or homemade solutions depending on how creative you are. I think in the end you'll find these types of solutions much more satisfying than a thick plywood 4' target! Think in terms of 2moa sized targets to start with. You can evventually reduce the size of those to smaller ones once you discover how easy it is to hit with that 6.5!

Reactions: lash
A good part of it depends upon the steel thickness and the hanging method. I have a 2/3 IPSC in 3/8" AR500 that is mounted on a T-post with a spring mount bracket. That steel sings out loud and is easy to hear in any winds out to 1000, even in a heavy rain. I haven't shot it further than that. At distances past 1000, we use 1/4" AR500 and even mounted just on straps, it rings very nicely. Mount it on springs and it will ring like a bell.

I hear you. I used to use rubber straps. Lately I've been using the JC Steel slotted hook targets and hangers and it's noticeable how much longer and clearer they ring.

I have shot at a 5/8" thick 12 x 18 pressboard at 2000+ with a 338 imp. Figured we could see it move or explode. Hit it 3 times and it never moved.
Perfectly round straight hole thru

Yes I do, but not in the way you are thinking. I use a 4x8 sheet to perform ballistic truing at known distances. By hanging a metal target off the side I will get on target and then fire groups to meausre actual drops. I have changed my target since this picture was taken to a crosshair watermark leveled so that you overlay your reticle on the crosshair and fire. This seems to aid in a repeatable aiming reference. 20140520_115635.jpg

Yes I do, but not in the way you are thinking. I use a 4x8 sheet to perform ballistic truing at known distances. By hanging a metal target off the side I will get on target and then fire groups to meausre actual drops. I have changed my target since this picture was taken to a crosshair watermark leveled so that you overlay your reticle on the crosshair and fire. This seems to aid in a repeatable aiming reference. View attachment 6871432

At what distance are you doing this?