• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Point of diminishing returns for a 2-12 ish scope

pangris

I see infrared radiation
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2006
    LA/TX
    Greetings all. Happy dance, I think I have my sons AR-10's figured out - they are kicking out brass at 3 o'clock and shooting straight.

With that said, on the optics front we have a 3 bears issue - one is wearing a 1-6 Razor, the other a 4-16 ATACR, and they seem to agree too little, too much respectively.

I believe "just right" is the Trijicon AccuPoint® 2.5-12.5x42 Riflescope

Maybe I'm a bad father, but I'm an MOA guy and so we're sticking with MOA for the purposes of this. I'm too dumb to divide by 10.

So with that said - am I missing anything that would be a better value for the ~ $1000 range for a 2-12 (ish) scope?

This is for a 16" 308, so as a practical matter we're a 600-800 yard gun due to home range and ballistic reality limitations.

Requirements - illumination, holdovers built into reticle, parallax adjustment, $1000 ish ceiling, real warranty, hold up to AR-10, and I feel like the Trijicon is already on the porky and long side at about 14" and 22.4 oz.

Am I missing any better options?

Have you thought about a 1-10 or 1-8 LPVO?
    You might need to up your budget a bit but there are some great options depending on if you want FFP on SFP (if you are one of those MOA types, you might also be one of those SFP types).

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway

Reactions: Charmingmander
    I'd prefer FFP but want to stay lighter than the Trijicon - The Maven is interesting but unproven relative to where I want to be in both performance and warranty, heavier, and I like the lowest end mag being lower.

I'd love to get to the 1-10 razor, but do want to stay in budget-ish and have as big an objective as reasonable. Razor 1-10 = $2K used. VCOG 1-8 would be great but similarly $$$. This is for the children. Daddy has his.

Reactions: Jughead
    I'd probably forgo the side focus and pick up Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42. That's a good mag range for this gun. Another good FFP option is Trijicon Credo 2-10x36. Both of those are within your budget.
    Props for two suggestions that make me think.

Side focus vs FFP... appears the trade off is same/same as far as weight. We're mainly hunting south Texas where if you're within a couple hundred yards, SFP/FFP doesn't matter and if you see it across a field, you hopefully have a second, but, I will sleep on those.

Trij vs Trij, I do prefer the 15 year no batteries of the Accupoint vs the Credo.

Leupold pissed me off over a f&(k!ng rangefinder - top of the line broke at 26 months, 2 months out of warranty, and they offered me the same discount I could have gotten on Amazon on a new one. Considering the number of gold rings in the safe I thought that was poor form but not necessarily to the level if its the best option I would not consider them. If anything, make them prove they can hold up to the AR-10...

Am I missing any better options?
    no the trijicon credo and tenmiles are perfect for if looking for an under 1000$ sfp option. maaaybe give their 2-10x36 a look. But trijicon along with lots of great features has much better reliability than the other brands mentioned like leupold athlon arken etc

Reactions: Bakwa

I’m contemplating one of these for a longe range 5.56 rig. Not a lot of info on them as far as reviews go tho. Most don’t complain