Sidearms & Scatterguns Porting my 44 magnum!

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
I have a Ruger super redhawk that I would like to have ported. I love the way it looks and the reduction of muzzle flip. Now someone told me that it wasn't a good idea cause it would create buildup all over the exterior of my ss or nickled plated finish...(I'm not sure which it is)...Is this true? I mean all you would need to do it clean it very well after your done shooting every time right?

Re: Porting my 44 magnum!

If you want to shoot heavy cast bullets at full bore, you may regret it. The ports blow off all the lube when the bullet passes them and the last inch or so of the barrel leads heavily, ruining accuracy. I did it to a .454 Casull some years ago. Sold it to a guy who only shot jacketed bullets. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to shoot heavy cast bullets at full bore, you may regret it. The ports blow off all the lube when the bullet passes them and the last inch or so of the barrel leads heavily, ruining accuracy. I did it to a .454 Casull some years ago. Sold it to a guy who only shot jacketed bullets. JMHO </div></div>
Desert Eagle is a gas blow back, so I ONLY shot jacketed bullets. But that makes a lot of sense.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Porting is for Wussies ... </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Old School guys never ported their .44 Mags</span>
Dirty-Harry2.jpg

smile.gif

cool.gif