• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Positional Practice

stereo.pete

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2017
My first match will be in three weeks and I wanted to start working on my biggest opportunity, which is controlling wobble with positional shooting. Since I had the day off I built a quick and simple barricade system that I can fit in my car for the range and also set up easily in my house.

VMMEhC.jpg

fdM2iS.jpg

I've been looking at the IOTA system after watching a 6.5 guys video and was wondering if anyone uses one on their scope to help practice indoors? Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Pete

Yep I use an I.O.T.A for dry fire practice indoors. I keep a performance log of what i did, what I learned so I can understand how what I do impacts on my shooting. Hope this helps

Reactions: stereo.pete
My first match will be in three weeks and I wanted to start working on my biggest opportunity, which is controlling wobble with positional shooting. Since I had the day off I built a quick and simple barricade system that I can fit in my car for the range and also set up easily in my house.

VMMEhC.jpg

fdM2iS.jpg

I've been looking at the IOTA system after watching a 6.5 guys video and was wondering if anyone uses one on their scope to help practice indoors? Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Pete
Yes, I still use my IOTA from Chuck.

yeah..... not sure aiming a rifle out a window is the best idea....
Agreed, The point of the IOTA is that you get "long distance" focus inside your house. No need to point a rifle where if for some reason, you were to put a cartridge in the rifle inside the house, it would not discharge accidentally when you don't know what's going to walk between you and your target outside your window. That's worst case scenario. Best worst case is you are double sure you have a cleared rifle and someone see's you aiming out your window then calls 911...it's going to be a bad day from there on out.

Yes, the IOTA is worth it. I had to make a few adjustments to utilize mine:

1. I use my laptop with some simulated range jpg files so there's enough light to see the target. I'm sure a lamp/paper target could work too.
2. I put my sunshade on and then my IOTA, which helped normalize the eye relief. For some reason the eye relief was way off without the shade.
3. It helps to adjust both your diopter and parallax in order to get a better sight picture. My normal diopter setting didn't work.

I don't know if this is normal for anyone else or if there's much logic behind it, but it worked for me.

Just realized I’ll be resurrecting a month and a half old thread, but if you didn’t get that IOTA (or DFAT), I say get one ASAP. One of the most valuable pieces of gear I own. Who doesn’t benefit from being able to practice without leaving their house?!