Rifle Scopes Possible Scope Parallax / Focus Issue

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
Anyone ever encounter an issue like this?

Usually when adjusting side focus on a scope I turn the knob until the image is nice and focused and then I'll double check by moving my head around a bit to confirm there is no reticle movement on my target.

On one of my scopes it seems like when adjusting the side focus, there is a different point between when the image is perfectly focused and when the parallax is eliminated. For example I'm looking at a target 300 yards away. I get the image clear but notice the reticle still moves somewhat. Its close but not perfect. I'll need to give it an extra 1/4 turn to get the parallax removed but at that point the image is no longer perfectly crisp.

I've already checked that the eyepiece ring is adjusted to the correct position so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with that. Has anyone experienced something like this?

In fact it is a leupold. The third one in fact of the same model. First two have been perfect the third is off just slightly. Also noticed the minimum focal distance is a couple meters farther.

I have very good eyes so the diopter is always tested but generally stays at the lowest setting.

Possible Scope Parallax / Focus Issue

If it's a Leopold, when you adjust the parallax knob first turn it to infinity then back to parallax-free for the intended distance.