• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Powder Cheat Sheet

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
I've been looking into what powders I should experiment with first for my 20" .308. Some people have told me I should look into faster burning powders, but others have said not to worry about it. Are there any guidelines that can assist choosing powders? Like 175 SMK + 20" = go for x or y powders. I was planning on starting with varget, then 4895, then 4064. 168 & 175 FGMM tends to produce sub .5 MOA for me.

I have always used Varget as it's the most popular for 308, gotta figure there's a good reason right? But when it was hard to find I purchased some Vihtavuori N150 as it was listed on 6mmBr.com under the 308 win. section as a powder a pro used and it was available for purchase. It is a little slower than Varget and you use a little more but it yields similar results. I guess if I were you, I'd go to that site and write down all the ones that those guys use professionally and see whats available and used for your weight projectile.

Varget was always my go to powder for .308 until a custom ammo maker turned me on to using AR Comp. I keep some Varget on hand since it is so versatile but the AR Comp is my .308 powder now.
I know this does not answer your question but most .308 shooters do use Varget for a good reason. 4895 was the first powder I used with good results but Varget was much more accurate overall.
Availability of Varget has improved in my area.

This is an extract from one of the industry powder burn rate charts (faster on the upper rows, slower at the bottom). It does not have some of the newer powders like AR-COMP, 2000-MR, 760, and 8208.

xcku40.jpg