• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Powder Choice for 6.5x47L

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    With all the different choice for powder in the 6.5x47L, I have narrowed it down to few I want to try, and need some advice from you guys. I want to stay away from reloader, so its between: h4350, varget, and n540.

I will be shooting the 123gr Scenars and maybe the 140gr Berger VLD or AMAX through a 28" Benchmark 1:8. I want to be in the 2800-2900 fps range. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Powder Choice for 6.5x47L

For the 140g class of bullet, I've settled on H4350. It gave me similar velocities to Varget, but without the pressure spike. I run a 24" Bartlein with a 1/8 twist.

Obviously work up your own load slowly, and know that the powder will start to compress around the 41.0 grain mark.

charge.jpg

I realize you stated only those three but may I also suggest VV N150?
    VV N150 36.5grs.
    JLK 130s
    Bartlein 1:8.5 30 inch
    Lapua brass
    CCI sm. rifle magnum primers
    2905fps no pressure signs and cleans targets out to 1000yds
    Len

I'm averaging 2906 fps driving 123 grain Scenars with 38.0 grains of Varget. Seems to be a very forgiving load - I got the same velocity when I loaded the cases with a large jump as when I jammed them. Gotta pay more attention to what I'm doing.

The three you have chosen are great to-go-powders for 6.5L. H4350 seems to be the top choice.

RE17
    shot equally as good as H4350
    runs 100-150fps faster

all i use in both my x47's

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've narrowed it down to H4350 with Varget still in the back of them mind...

A few of the guys at our 1,000 yd. club shoot that cartridge. They all use N-165. They all believe it is the most consistent. I use it in my 6.5X284. Tom.

ive had the same experience as hogghead, alot of the guys at matches use v165, and i use it in my 6.5 x 284 with very good success, i get .2 5 shot groups at 100 with it.ive got 6 lbs of it sitting around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RE17
    shot equally as good as H4350
    runs 100-150fps faster

all i use in both my x47's </div></div>

Do you experience any velocity spikes due to temp sensitivity with Re17?

Stanwood-
    I primarily use H4350 in my <span style="font-weight: bold">6x47 Lapua</span>, with 107's. Low SD/ES, and good velocity. I've experimented a little with RL17, and as another poster mentioned the velocity is better, I haven't been quite able to match the accuracy. I use CCI 450's, although I'd like to try some wolf SR mag primers too. Maybe I'll do some testing when I rebarrel... I'm right at 2K rounds, and it's still shooting very well-Krieger barrel w/ 8 twist. I

Dibbs- only probem I have with reloader powders is the temp swing we get up here. Correct meif I'm worng, but H4350 won't vary as much with temp swings as any reloader powder would. Interested in hearing more about the N165 though....

Nope, then agin i shot IMR4895 in TX summer heat with zero issues also
    Dont cook em chamber its works fine