• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Powder for super short 300blk

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
I finally decided to start reloading. I want to load some Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullets for use out of my KAK 4.75" barrel. My top choice at this point is Vihtavuori N110, but I'm open to suggestions. The gun is only shot suppressed.

Yeah, I'm trying to find something that burns quick enough to get the 190gr projectiles up to speed in the super short barrel with enough pressure to cycle the action. It's never fired without the can so I couldn't care less if it functions unsuppressed. The Vihtavuori N110 is the one I'm primarily interested in, but Hodgdon H110, Hodgdon Lil' Gun and Winchester 296 are also on my radar.

If you want better function, use a slower powder... RL-7, AA 1680, H4198, etc all come to mind as better options. They will all be dirtier and louder though.

N110 is a good option but will not get you the same velocity as Win 296/H-110/300-MP.

I have a very similar situation with question.

7.5” suppressed. 220 gr or heavier is ok too. AR platform. Cycles wonderfully with factory HSM stuff.

I OOPSED and bought 2 pounds of CFE PISTOL and already have a pound of tightgroup.

Dilemma—> If reloading manuals show 300 blk sub using tightgroup. Why can’t I or shouldn’t I use CFE PISTOL??? Burn rate chart says it’s slightly slower. If tightgroup will cycle AR why wouldn’t CFE PISTOL??? Hmmm?

Anyone ever tried it?

Respectfully to everyone. I have been reloading for 10 years and have pushed the limits. I have tried powders not listed before. We all know different book list different powders. Hodgdon won’t list CFE PISTOL for blackout because they make CFE BLK and want you to buy both.

1680 and cfe blk will give awesome function but extra noise. I've seen them both run 220 smk reliably from an 6.x inch barrel down to 750 fps. Even lower with cast. Gun had adjustable gas and was set for a short TBA 5 inch can.

Lil gun and n110 are my go to usually and seem to work well in most things, though your setup is shorter than any I've messed with.

I finally decided to start reloading. I want to load some Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullets for use out of my KAK 4.75" barrel. My top choice at this point is Vihtavuori N110, but I'm open to suggestions. The gun is only shot suppressed.
I had a 6" and shot 190 sub X with Lil gun. Cycles fine but would never lock the bolt back no matter what buffer I ran. Even a hollow buffer. I believe I was at 8.7gr or 8.9gr. I'd shoot something heavier to try and get it to lock back and cycle correctly.