• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Practice without a rifle

CJ5K

Private
Minuteman
Short version: what skills can I practice and how can I improve other than just shooting?

Longer version:

A couple months ago, I was starting to take my rifle shooting seriously, with the eventual goal of making 1,000 yard shots. Then, I got accepted into paramedic school at the last minute, and moved from the Pacific North West to Florida. Assuming that my time would be dominated by studying, I left my reloading press and 30-06 at my parents house in Washington.

I'm at that point in my long range education where I know that there is a lot that I don't know, but I don't know what.

I'm looking for advice on both what to work on, and how to go about practicing it. Off the top of my head, I know I need to work on calling range and wind, is there anything else out there I can work on without my bolt gun present, so that when I go home for the holidays, I can get the most out of what little time I'll be spending at the range?

I did bring my AR15, so i guess buying a sling for that and going to an Appleseed would be a good place to start, along with shooting the occasional high power match. Any other suggestions? Are there any books or articles I should be reading? I've watched quite a few of TibborasaurusRex's YouTube videos, and will continue to learn what I can from them, but any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Chris - CJ5K

trigger control, IE dry firing. Put a nickle on the barrel and pull the trigger make sure your pulling straight back and just focus on trigger control, i know alot of people do this at home in front of the tv.

maybe try one of these?
LaserLyte ? Laser Trainer Target

ETA: you can subscribe to the SH online training as well. been debating that lately.