• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Priming Tool Recommendation

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Re: Priming Tool Recommendation

IMHO, the Lee Auto-prime is borderline junk. Yes, it works; that's about all I'll give it. The older style RCBS tool was better, but still left a lot to be desired. The newer style is supposed to be better. Many folks seem to like the APS strips; they would seem to speed things up. Personally I prefer not to use proprietary equipment. I haven't tried the Hornady tool yet, but I like the design of it; it's probably the next auto-feed design that I'll try.

The Sinclair tool is the Cadillac of priming tools, and the K&M (http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...e=PRIME_TOOL_KM) is also quite good.

We're not talking about loading thousands of rounds at a time here, so speed isn't essential. Nice maybe, but not essential. I'll go for precision, personally.

See here
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slower is better. Get the Sinclair and never look back. </div></div>

And here !!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, the Lee Auto-prime is borderline junk. Yes, it works; that's about all I'll give it. The older style RCBS tool was better, but still left a lot to be desired. The newer style is supposed to be better. Many folks seem to like the APS strips; they would seem to speed things up. Personally I prefer not to use proprietary equipment. I haven't tried the Hornady tool yet, but I like the design of it; it's probably the next auto-feed design that I'll try.

The Sinclair tool is the Cadillac of priming tools, and the K&M (http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...e=PRIME_TOOL_KM) is also quite good.

We're not talking about loading thousands of rounds at a time here, so speed isn't essential. Nice maybe, but not essential. I'll go for precision, personally. </div></div>

i like the lee.i cant say anything negative about it.strayed away from it for while and then got another one.probably all this stuff you are asking about will not be the only purchase you make.in time your bench/room will look like most others.cluttered and full of stuff that you dont use .but you never know somwhere down the road you might have that same caliber again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, the Lee Auto-prime is borderline junk. Yes, it works; that's about all I'll give it. The older style RCBS tool was better, but still left a lot to be desired. The newer style is supposed to be better. Many folks seem to like the APS strips; they would seem to speed things up. Personally I prefer not to use proprietary equipment. I haven't tried the Hornady tool yet, but I like the design of it; it's probably the next auto-feed design that I'll try.

We're not talking about loading thousands of rounds at a time here, so speed isn't essential. Nice maybe, but not essential. I'll go for precision, personally. </div></div>

What exactly makes you think the Lee is junk? It works great what more can you ask for?

I bought an old RCBS when I broke my Lee (the Lee will push primers past military crimps, but not for long!).
I like the older RCBS for large rifle primers, but with my 223's it hangs up and crams them in sideways often enough to be a PITA!

I just need to get a new handle and I'll be back to using my Lee, like Humungus said-it works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly makes you think the Lee is junk? It works great what more can you ask for? </div></div>

Look at how it's made and what it is made of. There are differences between zinc alloy, cast aluminum, aluminum barstock and steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly makes you think the Lee is junk? It works great what more can you ask for? </div></div>

Look at how it's made and what it is made of. There are differences between zinc alloy, cast aluminum, aluminum barstock and steel. </div></div>
but also look how much it costs. i wouldnt expect something made out of titanium here. mines lasted a few thousand rounds and 5+ years, hasnt had a hiccup yet. and when it does break, big deal ill spend the 12 bucks on a new one
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mines lasted a few thousand rounds and 5+ years,</div></div>

Not what I consider even moderate usage. You can definitely get less than you pay for, but never more.

IINM, the RCBS Universal Hand Primer (square tray) uses the same universal shell holder system that the APS hand primer does. Regardless, it works very well, and I like it much better than my Lee autoprime.

Andy

It seems from responses, that virtually no one is using the bench type (RCBS or Forster). I don't disagree that the hand types give good feel, but is the effort enough to cause your hand to poop out after say, 250 rounds?

The strip thing from RCBS is nice I guess, but what was wrong with the original one that used loose primers in a tray? The strip device needs a strip loader if you do not use CCI primers in strips, and also the strips themselves (reusable I presume). That entire setup (tool, strip loader, and set of strips) is $96 from MidwayUSA, and getting close to a Sinclair single loading tool.

The Forster bench device seems potentially awkward trying to turn over the primers and "sweep" into the primer tube, and I am not so fond of the RCBS hunt and peck loading process for the primer tubes.

I would consider the Sinclair (I really like high quality tools), even at $120, but 250 rounds at a time, single loaded, seems like that could take a long time.

- Phil

I have an Older RCBS bench mounted. Uses tubes rather than strips, though. I use it for certain tasks. I use a K&M for LR ammo and everything else is primed on the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree, but I don't like using tools that look and feel like a piece of shit. </div></div>

Oh now I understand. For you it's not whether it works or not its about how shiny and smooth it is.

Lee auto prime. only loaded 500 rounds so far, ergonomically it could be better, but for $12, thats hard to beat. plus, unlike bench mounted, you can do it anywhere. start that way until it fails and you will only be out $12. spare parts are available. i liked the RCBS handheld, but my Lee was free with a rockchucker kit i got used

the forster from sinclair looks good for the price. i like the RCBS hand tool, but the strips seem to be extra work.

start with the lee, it wil do you fine for now, heck its $12

I had used Lee auto primers until trying to seat some Wolf SRM primers and I broke the primer. I had primed probably 20,000 with the Lee but the Wolf magnum primers were too much for it.

I bought a KM without the dial indicator assuming I would only use it for the Mag Wolfs. The seating is so good and repeatable that the KM is all I use. To keep my oils off the primers I just use non-talc latex gloves from a pharmacy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree, but I don't like using tools that look and feel like a piece of shit. </div></div>

I <span style="font-style: italic">really, really</span> dislike the spongy feel when seating primers with the Lee tool. I realize it's a cheap tool; so are the RCBS and Hornady tools. Compare the Lee tool to either or both of them, and I think you'll see what I mean.

If the Lee works for you and you're satisfied with it, then you're <span style="font-style: italic">golden</span>. It's all about personal preference in the end.

The Hornady is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better quality than RCBS. It is made as well as Sinclair, i.e. steel and aluminum barstock. It may not be finished as nice, but the quality is there.

I upgraded to the RCBS APS from the Lee, because I had issues priming my 300 WSM with the Lee. I cannot believe that I wasted my time with the Lee, after I used the RCBS. It handles all of the calibers that I reload, with no problem.

I have used the Lee for about 20 years. I wore one out and bought another. They worked fine and gave a good return for the money.

Recently, I bought the RCBS(not the strip fed model) and am very happy. The reason I went to the RCBS was that it was easier for on my hands.

PS:

Maybe folks would like the Lee unit better if it were made out of titanium with platinum plating. These modifications would not make it work one iota better, but it would lend it an air of class.

+1 on the rcbs universal priming tool, used it for a couples years and its still going strong, switching from small to large primers is a breeze, and you never have to handle primers

I have the Forster Bench mounted. The pluses are it is well made and you have a solid feel when you seat the primer and once you get used to it you can get a good pace going. You do however, need to set the jaws correctly and pay attention to what you're doing. Takes some effort to load the tube and position it without dumping primers.

The Lee AutoPrime II I think it's called, it's a primer tray style hopper that goes onto any regular single stage press with shell holders (Co-Ax doesn't work this way) and you can seat them very quickly.

I've used the Lee handheld autoprime, the RCBS rockchucker style, and an RCBS hand held primer before getting the press mounted adapter from lee. By far the $13 press adapter from Lee is the fastest way to go before you move to a progressive.

I use two Lee handheld Autoprimes, one for SR, and one for LR. An RCBS hand held for LR mags. And an old Bonanza bench type, with adjustable disks for the odd case, like a flanged 375, 9.3x74 rimmed, and the like.

The RCBS hand held is better than the Lee, but it more than double in price. The Lee's work, and when they don't you throw them away.

One thing on any hand held. I never load more than 20 primer in one, even though they hold 100.....