• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Problem trying to reload Hornady 52 Grain BTHP

slowr1der

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
VA
So I've been trying to work up a load with for a .223 with the Hornady 52 Grain BTHP. Initially I loaded them to an OAL of 2.230 which is what the manual suggests. I noticed that the bolt was really hard to close and when I did open it the bullet would be pushed back in the case. So I then seated them deeper at 2.200 which is what Speer lists for their 52 grain BTHP and thought I'd fixed the problem as my dummy round didn't show marks and the bolt closed normally. Then when I went shooting today I noticed that this problem was still happening as I could see marks on the bullet where it got wide. I shot them and one load in particular shot great. I thought I'd just seat them deeper, but then I tried 2.190 and still got marks that looked like from the rifling on a bullet I had blackened. So then I tried 2.180 and still saw these marks. I'm not sure I can go much deeper with it as I have concerns of overpressure as well as the bullet just being way too deep. Now, the FMJ bullets I've shot have an OAL of 2.225 and they are fine as they have a different profile that just starts getting narrower as soon as it exits the case where this one stays thick for a while.

So should I just try some different bullets? Or are these safe to shoot, or whats you guys suggestion? Here is what the bullet looks like after seating them at 2.180 and then chambering them. You can see the marks around where it gets thick.

IMG_1292-1.jpg

IMG_1293-1.jpg

I shouldn't be seeing any marks here correct? I'm just at a loss as I've never had a problem like this in my time reloading.

Re: Problem trying to reload Hornady 52 Grain BTHP

Is there marks all the way around the bullet or just that one spot. If it is just one spot I would say this is happening when you extract the cartridge and has nothing to do with the lands.
Bottom line if the load you have now is closing normal and there is no sign of pressure shoot them and don't worry. Lots of shooters shoot loads that jam the bullet into the lands. The picture doesn't look like you are jamming the lands but that is just from my vantage point. If the bolt closes easy I doubt you are jamming the lands.

The marks are all the way around, I just couldn't get that to show in the picture. I didn't see any signs of high pressure, but it still worries me.

did you bump the shoulder far enough on the brass? Though the bullet might be jamming into the lands, that shouldn't interfere significantly with bolt closing... an excessive length brass will definitely cause a hard bolt close.

I didn't see any signs of overpressure, and the case necks seemed to be far enough back.

This is a really dumb question, and I apologize in advance for asking. If measuring the OAL with a ballistic tip with a set of calibers do you measure to the end of the ballistic tip or the end of where the actual bullet stops?

Anyway, if you measure to the end of the tip I think I got this issues fixed. I bought some 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips and I mounted them out to 2.230 and the 2.250" when measuring from the bottom of the case to the end of the tip just like I measured the older ones. At neither length did the bullet seem to rub at all.

However, if you pull the tip out and measure just to the end of the actual bullet the OAL is actually only 2.137 where as it was 2.253 when measuring to the end of the plastic tip.

Just for kicks try to chamber an empty piece of brass that you're using and see if it has a hard close. If its an easy close and you load the bullet and it becomes hard to close, the problem is not the shoulder bump

One common error I have seen a few times, and done a few times when I first started, is the seater not being set properly, and it tries to crimp a non cannelured bullet and it ends up just barely buckling the shoulder, and gives symptoms very simmilar to what you describe. If you set up a seting die that provides a crimp according o the directions, you most likely have this issue. Blacken the edge of the shoulder ( largest diameter) and see if you have some "sizing" looking rubbing right there. It only takes a slight amount and is very difficult to detect visually. If thats the case, just back out your seater a turn and lock it back down.

The marks in the pictures it just looks like the bullet is riding the freebore a little. What Chamber do you have? An older .223 Remington chamber has a very shallow throat and can also cause the problems you described with some bullets. Some will have no issues at all and while they are very similar in appearance, the ogives are formed differently and will Create different dimension issues. So get back to us with your chamber type, or the rifle type if you don't know the chamber, we could probably safeley assume your chamber from a particular model.

The more I look at the pictures and the style of the bullet, the more I want to say this is your issue... hmm..

Thanks for the advice guys. The brass chambers fine, and having blackened the shoulder of the brass it doesn't seem to be what was causing the problem.

I have the seating die set so it isn't crimping at all. I'm not sure what year the gun was made. It's not too old, but it may be mid to late 90's. I think it is just that style bullet. I used the Nosler ballstic tips seated to 2.230 and it did fine fine and shot well. I even tried 2.250 and they didn't touch the lands either. It seems to be that bullet with such a wide ogive.

As stated above, screw in your seating adjustment. I had the same problem with Hornady 180 SBT in my .300 Mag. The ogive taper is causing the bullet to jam into the rifling. Easy fix.

Good luck

Jerry