problems with viper pst

jonnyo79

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2014
Grande Prairie, AB
I bought a vortex viper pst 4-16 with moa reticle a while ago and put it on a cz455 .22 for inexpensive practice instead of using my lapua all the time. I can't get reliable groups out of it and am having a tough time figuring out why. Everything is torqued correctly, parallax is adjusted for the shot but the rifle always sends one or two flyers. And yes I had someone else shoot it too so it isn't me.
The rifle was glass bedded and the barrel floated. I tried a box test and the results were less than satisfactory. It was all over the map but it did come back close to zero (but not perfectly). Has vortex had a history of having non repeatable scopes? I'm going to throw the scope on my 243 and see how it works since I know it shoots well and see how it does. I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has had similar issues though in the meantime.

If you are positive on everything being torqued I would throw a good scope from another rifle on it and shoot a few groups. Then you can atleast narrow it down to a glass problem or a bang stick problem. Best of luck brother and keep us posted.

I bought a vortex viper pst 4-16 with moa reticle a while ago and put it on a cz455 .22 for inexpensive practice instead of using my lapua all the time. I can't get reliable groups out of it and am having a tough time figuring out why. Everything is torqued correctly, parallax is adjusted for the shot but the rifle always sends one or two flyers. And yes I had someone else shoot it too so it isn't me.
The rifle was glass bedded and the barrel floated. I tried a box test and the results were less than satisfactory. It was all over the map but it did come back close to zero (but not perfectly). Has vortex had a history of having non repeatable scopes? I'm going to throw the scope on my 243 and see how it works since I know it shoots well and see how it does. I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has had similar issues though in the meantime.

I've had to send back a 6x24x50 Viper PST THREE TIMES due to the concussive forces of a muzzle break on a .300 win mag. The reticle would actually move inside the glass when you tapped the objective. And some other issues. It's no longer on any magnums

Well I have an answer. I transferred the pst to my Remington 243 and shot about 40 rounds. It sighted in perfectly and I was able to perform a near perfect box test (with one flyer that was my screw up). I'm convinced that it is the CZ that is faulty. Now I just have to get it looked at by my gunsmith. Thanks for the help, I'll let you guys know what they find with the rifle.

Had the pst 6x24x50 and wanted to like it but I guess wasnt meant to be. Mounted and zeroed scope fine, actually liked the look and feel. First league night at club during 1st slow fire 5 shots in I noticed the reticle "spinnin". Sent it back got new on no questions asked. Lasted about 500 rounds(30.06) same thing again happened. I just sold the new return. I would rather spend the extra money for a differant product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks. I guess a 22 is where they belong. Apparently it's too much to ask for a quality scope for a reasonable price. We can all dream I guess. In the meantime it Looks like I'll be sticking with nightforce for any rifles with punch.

I have 2 of the swfa ss in 6x and 10x and throw them in and off the tractor/combine and they hold up and they like $299. I just personally had bad luck with the pst, lotta people like them. I liked the glass and reticle looked good to me I just didnt want to be mailing it back again. Try a swfa if your going sub $500, should do just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Odd man out here I'd say. I have never had an issue with any of the three PST FFP scopes I own. OK, one was on a 223 but the other ones are on a 6.5CM and a 7WSM.
I have nothing but good to say about all the guys at Vortex, many of whom I call friends. They did a lot to support my endeavors when I was in the firearms industry on full time basis and still do. No questions asked.
My take is this; it's one helluva hike from PST to Razor in dollars and quality. Would you PST guys pay $1500 for a PST that was, while still not as good as Razor, much more "bullet-proof" or would you still sit around bitching about them? Don't get me wrong, if you have had the problems that some of you say then you have a reason to complain. After all, the best customer service is not having to need customer service isn't it?