• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Progressive Press

It's almost impossible to beat a Dillon 550. Not that expensive, can often be found used. Not as complicated as the 650/750. The 1050 is too much for most people. The 550 requires a few more motions than the others, lacking automatic bullet and case feeding and requiring manual indexing, but this also allows loading precision rifle rounds if desired. I know this makes me sound like a Dillon "fanboy", but I have one I've used for over twenty years of loading for USPSA. That's a lot of loading.

I have a Hornady Lock N Load AP and I’ll tell you this.......yes it works but fuck me does it constantly take a lot of tinkering with to get setup right and get going. Once you do it will work but I’ve been regretting not just going with the Dillon in the first place and now I’m getting ready to upgrade to it. My advice is just get a Dillon.

Reactions: jetsurgeon
Yes, I load pistol and AR ammo on my 550 and other rifle on my single stage. But people whose opinions I respect do load precision rifle on their 550, with clamped toolheads, weighing individual charges, etc. It certainly is an option with a 550, less so with the fancier Dillons.

I just remembered...... I had an uncle leave me some ammo and other "gun stuff" when he past away a few years back. No guns though. His daughter got all of those, just as she should have. It's all been sitting in a few black plastic storage containers in my garage for a while.
I went outside a few minutes ago to see what and all it was. I didn't even know he reloaded but........
There is an older Dillon RL 550 and several different caliber die tool heads complete with their own powder hoppers just sitting in my garage and I didn't even realize it. I'm completely dumbfounded. I have to go through it all and inventory it all.

Last edited:
I put a Hornady together last year. I honestly had a couple times that I wanted to just set it on fire.

Then I figured stuff out. How to adjust the timing. Most importantly, how to keep the case feeder running... all it needs is some lube in the right spot.

20191125_114917.jpg

If you buy a case feeder, the area in red is where you need some lube from time to time.

Once I lubed that, my issues went to basically zero. Now I can dump a hundred primers in the feeder tune, hundred cases in the case feeder, and a hundred bullets in the Mr. Bulletfeeder and crank out those hundred rounds in about ten minutes or less.

have a Dillon 550, Use it for loading 6.5TCU.
Neck up and deprime and size on first stage, powder second stage and then projectile. Had it 20+ years loaded god knows how many rounds. Buy once cry once i say.

I just remembered...... I had an uncle leave me some ammo and other "gun stuff" when he past away a few years back. No guns though. His daughter got all of those, just as she should have. It's all been sitting in a few black plastic storage containers in my garage for a while.
I went outside a few minutes ago to see what and all it was. I didn't even know he reloaded but........
There is an older Dillon RL 550 and several different caliber die tool heads complete with their own powder hoppers just sitting in my garage and I didn't even realize it. I'm completely dumbfounded. I have to go through it all and inventory it all.

Looks like you’re all set. Get that 550 set up, contact Dillon for any missing or broken parts (remember they have a lifetime transferable warranty), and start loading.

That's good to hear about the Hornady. My guess was that folks weren't taking the time to get it running right. Anything like that is going to have to be tinkered with.
The problem with the Dillon 550 is that it isn't really a progressive press. I want a setup where all I have to do is dump in supplies and pull the lever. The Dillon 550 isn't that.

Lifetime guarantee.

Reactions: Anb618
That's good to hear about the Hornady. My guess was that folks weren't taking the time to get it running right. Anything like that is going to have to be tinkered with.
The problem with the Dillon 550 is that it isn't really a progressive press. I want a setup where all I have to do is dump in supplies and pull the lever. The Dillon 550 isn't that.

The problem with the Hornady is you get it all set up, then have to tinker and fine tune it and it will start working for maybe 100rds or so and then you have to clean dirt or powder or other shit out of the primer feed tray otherwise you’ll break the linkage. Stuff comes loose constantly and you have to retighten and re-time it. I go to my buddy’s and play with the Dillon he’s got and never any issues at all.

I’m on a FB group for the Hornady AP reloading and every day there are tons of people on there bitching about the same thing.

I have a Hornady Lock N Load AP and I’ll tell you this.......yes it works but fuck me does it constantly take a lot of tinkering with to get setup right and get going. Once you do it will work but I’ve been regretting not just going with the Dillon in the first place and now I’m getting ready to upgrade to it. My advice is just get a Dillon.
My experience is the opposite the Dillion’s I have used (650) Only 2 of them.the slider bar takes work for powder. And the primer set up will frustrate you. My hornady has been almost perfect, the wheel came off my small primer slide after 4 years, hornady sent one to me no questions asked in 3 days. I would give up my 3 other presses before my lnl ap went anywhere. I even seat, deprime, mandrel my precision rounds on it ( I don’t like cam over for sizing, prefer a hard stop). It’s been great, it gets at least 150 pulls of the arm every week since I’ve owned it. Also progressive reloading is expensive, but accessories for the hornady are cheap-ish, but admittedly mine is sooped up a bit with mr. bullet feeder And in-line fab stuff. But none of it affects performance of the machine just convenance (I’m a lazy dude when it comes to 223 and 9mm)

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I have little experience with the Dillon and own a Hornady. I love the Hornady press and would buy another without question. I am sure that I have close to 20K rounds through it and haven’t had any problems.

It's almost impossible to beat a Dillon 550. Not that expensive, can often be found used. Not as complicated as the 650/750. The 1050 is too much for most people. The 550 requires a few more motions than the others, lacking automatic bullet and case feeding and requiring manual indexing, but this also allows loading precision rifle rounds if desired. I know this makes me sound like a Dillon "fanboy", but I have one I've used for over twenty years of loading for USPSA. That's a lot of loading.
This.
550 is a fantastic machine capable of rifle reloads and cranking out pistol for an affordable price.

I have a Hornady LNL AP....had it for many years now. I have every conceivable option you can name. Generally I take my spent brass...drop it in the case feeder and de-prime every piece and straight into a bucket and wet tumble....then the pistol brass gets run through the other cycles when I drop the dies in and away I go....1000's done quickly.

5.56 is a different story...I'll do the same to de-prime...then wet tumble and dry...then I add the attachment to run them upside down and swage the primer pockets on new range pickup or if I shoot some surplus stuff....then I will full length size them an insert new primers...BUT....I throw the powder manually and seat the bullet manually and then case gauge each one before it goes into the ammo box. Eventhough I have a powder cop...I would just rather throw each charge...weigh about every 10th one for quality...and seat the bullet manually....for peace of mind. It really doesn't take that long.

Precision rounds don't even get near the LNL AP.

I've owned various Hornady presses over the years. I sold them and only use Dillon 550 and 650 presses. My experience with Hornady presses is the quality of the presses is below Dillon's quality. Constantly had parts that would break. Usually the same cheap parts each time. Hornady would replace the parts for free, but the press was idle while wait for a replacement part. Occasionally I break parts on my Dillon presses. But much less frequently.

I use my 550 for precision rounds where I manual drop the powder. Use a A&D Fx120i scale with Auth Throw/Trickler setup drop and weight powder. My 650 is used for high volume loads, like .223/5.56, 45 ACP and etc.

Yes, I thought that was interesting also. Those Mark 7s are an impressive machine. Think about this. The Dillion category includes everything from a 450 to a 1050 (although most are 650s and 1050s.) The Mark 7 is just one almost $10,000 machine. Virtually a commercial reloading set-up, much like a fully tricked out 1050 with auto drive. Those Open guys are a serious bunch.

Reactions: rockn30809
Once I got the case feed lube thing figured out I've had essentially zero issues. Don't get me wrong, I read about issues other folks were having, looked at it, and thought how do I avoid that coming loose.

The only things even capable of coming loose are the case feeder slider and maybe the shell plate.

I put a split washer on the shell plate and nylok nuts on the case feeder adjustments, they've never come loose.

The big hassle is the pivot assembly but I already posted how to solve that.

I have heard that the Hornady bullet feeder is shit, and it's different between rifle and pistol. So I bought a Mr. Bulletfeeder which is typically what you get with a Dillon, had to mess with that a touch but now it's running smoothly too. I typically do about a hundred rounds per week for practice, takes me less than ten minutes. No issues. I just pulled the case feeder pivot apart to see if its still lubed up and it's a-okay.

On vacation now, so might do a bigger batch so I have stuff to play with while I'm enjoying the time off.

IMHO do yourself a favor and forget that Hornady as a company even exists. The progressive press was a nonstop headache, their brass life is next to nothing, the electrics they "make" are god awful, yuck. Buy blue and never look back.

To the OP: a Dillon press is forever. Does it cost a little more up front? Maybe. But there is no better progressive press. All the posts about "as good as a Dillon" - get the Dillon and be done. For your lifetime. Amortize the extra cost over a period of decades - what does it cost? Versus living with something less over that time, maybe taking the $ loss to upgrade later...?

I bought my RL550B in 1996. A few years ago, the original powder measure started sticking. I called Dillon, where the phone was answered by a person, not another damned 8-level-deep phone menu... within seconds I was talking to a support guy who said the measure is 20 years old, send it in and we'll give you a new one - here's your RMA.

It actually turned out there was a little plastic bushing that had worn on one side; I turned it over and I'm still running that measure.

I like the 550 over more "automated" presses (650/750, 1050) because I prefer to feel exactly what's going on at each step. Personal preference.

I load my precision 6.5CM and .223 on it, using it more as a single-stage. There are several articles describing simple measures to enhance "precision" on a progressive press. Last time I did seating-depth load testing for my 6.5CM, all 15 rounds (5 groups of 3 rounds) measured 1.25" or less at 300 yards, and the best group had all three rounds touching each other. Why would I want to spend $$ on a more "precise" press?

You have a 550, You are set. I have seen 550s make rifle rounds with less than 1 thou runout consistently. You just need quality dies. If you want a true progressive with all the goodies sell the 550 and get a 650 or 750. Nothing is in the same league as Dillon.

what a great uncle you had! i love it when a plan comes together!

I run dillon as well. Had a 650. Didnt care for the auto primer indexing. Currently have a 550 and two square deals.

Worth every penny i spent on them.

Last edited:
I just got a Dillon 650 for a steal a shop near me was selling the 650's off since they are getting the new 750's I paid $480 for the 650,. Check around you might can find a deal