• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Proof Research SPR Build

AndrewD0313

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2019
First long(er) range build so I wanted to do something I was familiar with and kind of do what I wanted with it. Did a lot of research (a lot on snipershide) and selected each part pretty carefully. The scope is overkill, I know, but I’m going to use it on my next long range build too. Just looking for some feedback and opinions, as this is my first post.

Build List:
JP Enterprise Upper & Lower
Proof Research CF 18” 223 Wylde (1:7)
V7 Titanium Gas Block
TriggerTech AR Adjustable
BCM KMR Handguards
Razor Gen2 4.5-27 (EBR-7C MOA)
Vortex Precision Rings
BCM Intermediate Buffer System
Magpul PRS Stock

Attachments

• 55A5A4B6-BC12-470B-9B11-F9BD34E2A6C4.jpeg
    55A5A4B6-BC12-470B-9B11-F9BD34E2A6C4.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: BA226
Does it feel out of balance or very top heavy with the Razor on there? I'm trying to select a new optic for an SPR I'm building that was supposed to have an S&B 4-16x42 PMII on top, but need to step down a bit to bring in a few hundred bucks for other needs. A Razor 3-18x50 would be amazing, but I'm worried that at 3lbs+, it'll be too heavy. What's your take?

Does it feel out of balance or very top heavy with the Razor on there? I'm trying to select a new optic for an SPR I'm building that was supposed to have an S&B 4-16x42 PMII on top, but need to step down a bit to bring in a few hundred bucks for other needs. A Razor 3-18x50 would be amazing, but I'm worried that at 3lbs+, it'll be too heavy. What's your take?

Have you considered the 4-16 ATACR? I see them sell used for a little more than the 3-18 if you’re considering.

It’s a little top heavy but it’s not unbalanced. The PRS stock kind of balances the rear end of the gun and if you’re carrying just forward of the magwell it balances nicely. It’s definitely a heavier optic though. More than I’d want because the weight it adds can’t be removed anywhere else, however it doesn’t bother me. It’s about 13lbs the way it sits and works for me. I do plan to get a more appropriate scope down the road, but I’ve lost nothing with this scope. Lastly, for the small difference in price from the 3-18 to the 4.5-27 it’s a no brainer that the 4.5-27 is the better deal because they’re the same weight.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'd generally agree with you regarding the 3-18x vs 4.5-27x, but in this case, the $250 difference (give or take depending on where you buy) is a big deal for where I'm at right now (again, I wouldn't be selling my S&B at all if I didn't need to!). For anyone else where that's not the case, I'd absolutely go for the 4.5-27x!

Have you considered the 4-16 ATACR? I see them sell used for a little more than the 3-18 if you’re considering.

Quite heavily, yes. But that's still more than I want to spend right now. I'm looking to be as close to $1250 or less as I can (less is better, to a point). As noted above, I wouldn't even think of selling the S&B if I didn't need to, but I have to choose between having a higher-end optic, or positioning myself for a greater advantage at the start of a new career. The NF 4-16x42 F1 and the S&B 4-16x42 will be among the first two I look at again when I'm in a position to step back up to that price bracket. Until then, I need to bring in some dough while still keeping my rifle viable. Tough position, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Excellent build, by the way, @AndrewD0313 !

Reactions: Afkirby
Thanks, man! I actually put a lot of work and time in this build. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. Some trial and error in the trigger department (I had a JP Trigger at first) but the research saved me a lot of heartache.

Quite heavily, yes. But that's still more than I want to spend right now. I'm looking to be as close to $1250 or less as I can (less is better, to a point). As noted above, I wouldn't even think of selling the S&B if I didn't need to, but I have to choose between having a higher-end optic, or positioning myself for a greater advantage at the start of a new career. The NF 4-16x42 F1 and the S&B 4-16x42 will be among the first two I look at again when I'm in a position to step back up to that price bracket. Until then, I need to bring in some dough while still keeping my rifle viable. Tough position, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Excellent build, by the way, @AndrewD0313 !

If your budget is $1250 and you’re anything like me, you won’t be happy with what you’ll get in that price range. There’s a lot to be said for the buy once, cry once moto you hear so often. My advice would be to wait until you can afford the optic you really want.

If your budget is $1250 and you’re anything like me, you won’t be happy with what you’ll get in that price range. There’s a lot to be said for the buy once, cry once moto you hear so often. My advice would be to wait until you can afford the optic you really want.

I appreciate the comments, but I'm actually very familiar with the ups and downs of optics ownership. I've owned from bottom-barrel budget optics, all the way up to S&B PMII (multiple models), Vortex Gen2 Razor, USO, etc. In this particular case, the choice (unless something changes in my situation or I stumble upon a windfall of money, haha) are to step down to a used mid-grade optic, or to let the rifle sit for an unknown period of time until I can swing another top level optic.

To me, I'd rather pick the best available option in my budget to get the rifle up and running. This would keep it from sitting, and would allow me to have a quality backup or loaner optic when I can afford to step back up to an S&B, NF, etc.

But yes, I know all about the "buy once, cry once" mentality (hence the AIAT, haha). But sometimes you have to make a compromise, so I'm looking to make the best choice available given my circumstances. There are many quality optics in the $1000-1250 range that will run just fine for a general use gas gun to get me by for awhile. :)

If you’re looking for a decent little scope at a good price to work as a placeholder you may want to check out a gen 1 pst 2.5-10x32 ffp. I managed to grab a clearance refurb at cabelas for $250 recently. Lightweight, good glass.

Attachments

• 2E3F7C83-BA28-4337-B84F-65933ABA90AC.jpeg
    2E3F7C83-BA28-4337-B84F-65933ABA90AC.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: Basher
My apologies to the OP, I hadn't meant to derail the thread!

@Afkirby , I'm looking at a few lower- to mid-level optics such as the PST2 3-15x44 or Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 at the recommendation of Koshkin. There are a few others in the mix (Steiner T5Xi, 4-20x50 XTRII, Bushnells, etc.), but these two seem to be the best bang for the buck overall.