All subscriptions are on sale! Pick yours below

Subscribe

PRS .22LR need advice on Suppressor issues

axis007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2024
texas
Hello, new to Sniper Hide, I have moved up from 10/22 to CZ 457 to my latest a VICTRIX Venus Pro 26inch 1/16 twist rate.
I have been using a standard .30 cal suppressor, now just picked up my Sparrow 22.
AMMO is about 1050-1075fps ELEY Tenex or Lapua Center-X is what I have been using
on the .30 cal I am using an thread adapter 5/8 to M18/1
grouping about a dime size at 50 yards
the Sparrow 22 is shooting about 12 inch low at 50 yards compare to my .30 cal (which is roughly the same POI) without a Suppressor.
on the Sparrow I am using a thread adapter 1/2 to M18/1
at 50 yards, it is all over the place ....about 1 inch spread, I like to keep the sparrow on, so I can move the other can to another rifle, is there possible baffle strike on the Sparrow 22? is the suppressor not the best for PRS, am I doing something wrong? can it be the thread adapter ?

or is there so much overbore (slop) on the 30 cal it is more forgiving ? and advise would be helpful.

Hello, new to Sniper Hide, I have moved up from 10/22 to CZ 457 to my latest a VICTRIX Venus Pro 26inch 1/16 twist rate.
I have been using a standard .30 cal suppressor, now just picked up my Sparrow 22.
AMMO is about 1050-1075fps ELEY Tenex or Lapua Center-X is what I have been using
on the .30 cal I am using an thread adapter 5/8 to M18/1
grouping about a dime size at 50 yards
the Sparrow 22 is shooting about 12 inch low at 50 yards compare to my .30 cal (which is roughly the same POI) without a Suppressor.
on the Sparrow I am using a thread adapter 1/2 to M18/1
at 50 yards, it is all over the place ....about 1 inch spread, I like to keep the sparrow on, so I can move the other can to another rifle, is there possible baffle strike on the Sparrow 22? is the suppressor not the best for PRS, am I doing something wrong? can it be the thread adapter ?

or is there so much overbore (slop) on the 30 cal it is more forgiving ? and advise would be helpful.
That was extremely hard to read. Further decoding of that mess with assumptions:

You have a new rifle (victrix) and are no longer using the 10/22 or 457.
Your “Victrix” rifle has swappable barrels.
You have a .30 cal barrel and a .22 barrel, both threaded
You are using m18 thread adapters for both barrels to mount a .30 and .22 suppressors
Your .30 cal barrel/30 cal suppressor combo makes dime sized groups at 50 yards
Your .22 cal barrel/22 sparrow suppressor combo makes 1” sized groups at 50 yards

You are not happy with the .22 cal group size with suppressor attached and suspect the m18 thread adapter might be causing it.

1). Simple test is to take suppressor off and see if group size shrinks. Most decent 22 rifles group .3-.6 or .7” with ten shot groups at 50 yards with decent ammo ( from my experience).

2) use a suppressor clearance rod and check for interference between bore and suppressor when installed

A 1” group at 50 yards isn’t great , but that may be what your barrel’s accuracy is. Any suppressor changes barrel harmonics and MAY shrink, expand, or not affect your group sizes, every barrel is different. The sparrow is a popular can for a reason, if it caused accuracy concerns it would have been documented and bitched about by now as that can has been out for over a dozen years now. Thread adapter quality also varies. Is 1/2-28 threads not available as an option for your barrel?

Tiger, sorry my questions were poorly written,

Victrix is a PRS rifle, the barrel is not swappable, the Rifle comes in a 26 inch length with a M18/1 thread, no 1/2 or 5/8 option. It is suppose to be a 1/2 MOA rifle from the box. I have shot "dime" or 5/8" size groups at 50 yards, using the 30 cal can.

is it possible to move from one suppressor to another (Sparrow.22) and to expense a POI shift of 12 inch at 50 yards, that seems HUGE!

if it works , is there any issue to use a .30 cal can on a 22 rim fire (except it does not come apart and .22 is a dirty round that would require cleaning often?)

I will use the suppressor rod to see if there is any interference, I looked down the suppressor and cannot see any baffle strike.

Ok , now we are getting closer

You have a new “ victrix” rifle in .22 cal with a 26” barrel with m18 threads
With a m18 to 5/8-24 adapter the .30 cal suppressor shoots dime sized groups
With a m18 to 1/2-28 adapter the 22 sparrow suppressor POI shifts over 12” and groups size is 1” compared to the .30 cal suppressor groups location and size on the same rifle.

YES I think you have problem and are most likely are striking something in the suppressor. STOP shooting that combo until you correct the problem. Probably the adapter is at fault, whose manufacturer is it? I am amazed the groups are under an inch in size with a baffle strike situation.

Again, find somebody with a 22 cal suppressor checking rod. This is why I align check every barrel/ suppressor combo I use. I have had two issues with mounts in the past not aligning correctly ( one aftermarket ASR mount and one Dead Air mount).

Don’t shoot a lot of 22lr through a non serviceable rifle can as 22lr is extremely dirty and will fill up a can with carbon and lead. That is why every suppressor manufacturer makes a dedicated 22 can that can be serviced.

Reactions: Fig
Advice is don't use a suppressor for matches. They add another variable and rifles generally shoot better without them. Use them at home for fun but I would never run one in a match.
Noted, I am using a supressor at home to practice and to learn the balance point, and handling the weapon , many here have said, don’t run suppressed in competition.

Advice is don't use a suppressor for matches. They add another variable and rifles generally shoot better without them. Use them at home for fun but I would never run one in a match.
This.

I'll also add that 22LR cans are dirty as hell and have the possibility of dropping all that fouling back into the barrel.

many here have said, don’t run suppressed in competition.
I wouldn't jump too soon to this conclusion. I use a suppressor (a Sparrow actually) on my competition rifle. I have tried with and without the can, and I get slightly better groups with the can on. Plus the can is just awesome and even with some of the faster ammo its incredibly quiet.

Most (many?) serious NRL competitors use subsonic ammo, so they're pretty quiet without a can. I know that my groups are tighter and I have a generally higher long range precision when I shoot subs. 22lr is dirty as hell, and even less than a hundred rounds can lead to crap from your can falling into your barrel, and when the gun reports more crap can fall inside the can, in-front of the projectile, and affect trajectory. I shoot a lot with a can, but I don't use one in NRL 22 for this reason. If this is what you want to do make sure you clean it back to factory before the match every time. Even then if it throws one or two flyers it's a problem when you get good enough to approach top five shooters. The last couple of matches 1-2-3-4 were separated by a single impact, and sometimes less (tie breakers).

All that said, do what gives you the highest precision (tightest group at 50yds). Trying to compete with a rifle that won't shoot straight is incredibly frustrating, and you will likely not get any better. Talk and solvers aren't dope. Do what you know works when actually shooting the rifle.