• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Bag Fill Options Thread

DeathBeforeDismount

Hey, give your balls a tug.
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Figured I would start a thread so people can talk about Bags and Fill options. I got to play with some spexlite at a match recently and am thinking about ordering some of this stuff. I have 25lbs of bags in my kit, and would like to take some of the weight out of my pack. All the bags have had some fill removed so they are more shootable. I used to run glass bags but they have gotten so heavy and end up tearing up the bags. I usualy only get about a year out of a gamechanger before the seams blow out and I just replace them. I am thinking a lighter fill will be less wear and tear on the bags and as long as its still shootable, could be a move in the right direction.

AG Plus one with Sand - 13lbs
AG Smediums with Sand - 8.5lbs
AG Smedium with Poly Beads - 4.5lbs
AG Pint sized with Sand - 7.3 lbs
MDT Peanut with Sand/Glass - 8.3lbs
Cole Tac Plate Bag with Grey Ops Pro Plate Filled with Glass Beads - 4.7LBS

The heaviest spexlite beads 5235 would be about 5.5-6Lbs in a Plus one, so about half what the heavy sand is. https://www.boxtobenchprecision.com/store/spex-lite-5235

There is also the Olympic mix which is 5325 and 5125. https://www.boxtobenchprecision.com/store/spexlite-x-ginny-thrasher-olympian-shooting-bag-fill

What do you guys who shoot PRS run? I know its tough to beat heavy sand but there may be some new options that get some of the unnecessary weight out of our kits. It would also make flying with them much easier.

20240917_182642.jpg

I run a sand filled Shemedium on barricades and a Shemedium filled with 5235 fill for a rear bag on prone/mod prone stages. I was using gitlite prior to the 5235 for rear support, as I prefer both over sand in a rear bag.

The 5235 is extremely stable in a barricade bag, almost as good as sand but seems like it takes a second longer for the rifle to settle on a barricade using it. In a rainy match I’d definitely use the 5235 over sand in a GC as the 5235 doesn’t absorb water.

I also replaced the sand in my plate bag with 5235 and can’t really tell a difference in stability when using the plate bag with tripod rear support.

been using 5235 is almost everything for most of the year

been using the standard AG poly fill for 2-3 years now though

wish they would make a slightly heavier 5235

might try the glass fill from the peanut in one of my game changers to see what that’s like

My kit for the last year or two has been a Schmedium +1 with glass bead fill (11lb 10oz) and an original full size game changer with the standard large poly bead fill. I like the Schmedium +1 for anything positional and the OG gamechanger as a rear bag. Not light, but what I've found to work the best for me.

I do like the glass fill better than the sand fill. It doesn't lock up like the sand, so it's a bit more forgiving if you need to slightly alter your point of aim or don't get the bag placed perfectly the first try.

Positional bag
AG Schmedium with sand it comes with and sand dumped out to be about to be about 8 lbs and 6 oz. This bag goes in my pack

Rear bag.

AG OG game changer filled with git lite I had laying around. This bag is attached to my shoulder strap on my pack via a two sided carabiner

My kit for the last year or two has been a Schmedium +1 with glass bead fill (11lb 10oz) and an original full size game changer with the standard large poly bead fill. I like the Schmedium +1 for anything positional and the OG gamechanger as a rear bag. Not light, but what I've found to work the best for me.

I do like the glass fill better than the sand fill. It doesn't lock up like the sand, so it's a bit more forgiving if you need to slightly alter your point of aim or don't get the bag placed perfectly the first try.
Have you experimented with any of the spexlite fills and blends? They are supposed to resit water similar to sand, without the additional weight.

I may just order a 5 gal bucket of it and test it.

Have you experimented with any of the spexlite fills and blends? They are supposed to resit water similar to sand, without the additional weight.

I've not tried the spexlite. I did run Gitlite for my rear bag for a year or two but found that it wasn't quite as stable as the OG gamechanger with standard fill.

I started playing around with spexlite 5235 in my smedium and +1 bag this past spring. Of course I did what you should never do and used it at a match without much time to practice with it prior... but enough practice to find that 100% 235 had way too much movement and bounce so prior to the match I had mixed it 50/50 with the heavy sand that comes in the AG bag. During practice this has seemed like the best solution.

My first stage of the day was shooting off 5 different limbs of a tree trunk, two shots from each, three of which were a little too tall for kneeling. It was challenging to get the bag settled quickly and I ended up dropping a few points from the extra time it required.

After several practice sessions and a few matches I have decided that my mix preference in the +1 is 3 cups of sand replaced with 235. In the standard game changer I replace about 2-2.5 cups once I have determined the fill level I want of sand. I think that works out to about 80/20 mix and reduces the bags overall weight by about a 1-1.5 pounds.

Front plate bag I am running about 50/50 currently but will likely be changing that soon to less sand.

Last edited: