• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes PRS style scope for poor people

Water proof was no issue, but it did fog up on me during the E-4 stage. That was the stage with multiple poppers (hung by chain) from 300-650yds (IIRC) and had us laying in about 2-3 inches of water. We were the second squad to shoot that stage, so everyone was unprepared for the amount of water we had (hell, we wondering if the bridge back to town was still above water when we went home that night). It was my first major PRS match, so I was not completely prepared for the rain/cold. The objective fogged up when I popped the scope cover and inadvertently let a big breath out as I was behind the scope (should have inhaled/exhaled a few times before popping the covers up, to get the air in my lungs cooler to prevent the fogging).

Reactions: Bulldog10
LMAO,..I bought another Hawke last night...don't even know what I'm going to put it on. I went to pick up another AR,..and he had a big ass Hawke sidewinder for like $600 bucks,..so I bought it. Now I WILL agree, the swfa will kick the crap out of this one! LMFAO

cheap bastard...

LOL, I hope you're kidding about that Hawke - moa turrets, mil reticle and SFP, man can't beat that for oldy and funky.

I met a guy on here with like 25 savages that would be all over that.

^^^^^
What did Vortex do to YOU?

Me???

I won a Vortex Razor off a prize table once, I'll always be thankful to Vortex for their generosity. Also they deserve a certain respect for being a driving force in tactical rifle scopes.

I'm picky about certain things like close focus and reticles with the line marking numbers being way off to the side so I had to go in different directions.

I started out in pretty much the same boat as you OP. My progression in optics has ranged from XTRII all the way to Vortex AMG and pretty much everything in between.

I would have no issues running the SWFA 5-20HD in a match, so if you are hung up on the previously posted nonsense about SWFA, I wouldnt pay it any attention. I think it is an excellent buy, but for a little bit more coin you could could find yourself in a T5Xi, Razor GEN1, or DMR. I would honestly go with whatever scope has a reticle you like and find usable.

Reactions: Diver160651
I think that's because many here are gun shy of the T5X, due to it's initial problems on release. Steiner corrected it, but it was a serious bone of contention with some about Steiner not admitting there was a problem. They finally did admit it publicly, and corrected it with a design change; but it put a few people off of the T5X....

From a features standpoint I really like the T5Xi, and have owned two. I really liked the second revolution indicator windows. It has a cam inside and they switch from 1-10 to 11-20 on the second revolution. The turrets are tactile, but not audible unless going over multiple mils. The spacing is very close and makes reading the hashes difficult sometimes. Zero stop was good with 0.3mils below available. They glass is good in clarity and resolution, but struggles with CA. The contrast or colors seemed darker than other scopes. Not something I noticed unless looking through multiple optics and comparing. Parallax knob was good. Illumination wasn't daylight bright, like you knew it was on from the red tint, but it wasn't nuclear bright. One model had a good amount of play in the magnification ring the others were extremely stiff. All models turrets were pretty stiff. All in all, I have handled 4 T5Xi's; 2 I have owned, one from a guy at our local range, and one at a LGS. I will say that the consistency from the ones that are not marked Steiner Germany, but just Steiner, seem to have less variance. My original Steiner Germany had less stiff turrets, and play in the magnification ring.

Overall they are a good feature set scope with a good warranty. Steiner will take care of you and honor their Heritage Warranty. You can find them now in the $1200-$1400 range. I just sold one for $1400 with bubble level and rings.

My only hesitation is durability. I could have had a lemon, but my original Steiner Germany marked scope had been back to Steiner twice before they replaced it on the third return. Once was for the turret tracking debacle, once was for the reticle being grey instead of black, and finally for a parallax failure. Ill chalk up the first two issues to being from the first batch of T5Xi's, but take it how you wish.

LMAO,..I bought another Hawke last night...don't even know what I'm going to put it on. I went to pick up another AR,..and he had a big ass Hawke sidewinder for like $600 bucks,..so I bought it. Now I WILL agree, the swfa will kick the crap out of this one! LMFAO

cheap bastard...

Oddly enough, I was looking at a Hawke scope on Optics trade earlier. 5-25x56 FFP and mil/mil, and reduced by about 250 Euros on special.

No idea on the quality of the glass, turrets etc. but it looked interesting....

Reactions: SethJ