• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PSA: Email scams on the rise

A couple of years ago, near Christmas, I was buying a Stanley thermos for my nephew. New job and outside. The store was super crowded, long line at the checkout. The clerk wanted my name and address and email. I said I was paying cash and they didn't need any of that. Oh...it's for the warranty. I said, yeah, Stanley will take care of it, I am paying cash, you don't need my info. So the little gal tells me she can't sell it without filling out all the boxes. I look around the room and say, ok....My email is [email protected], (a few snickers) my address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC and I made up some zip code (a few more and some real big grins) Then I told her my name was John, that's J O H N. She was busy typing every thing in and asked my last name. I said would you like my middle initial? yes sir. It's E. And your last name? Cash. That's C A S H. John E Cash. That's when she realized what was going on and got really pissed off. She needed the real info. I asked to see her manager and I'd wait right here in line. Then I insisted on seeing her manager and no, I'm not moving aside, I will wait my place right here in the front of the line. Dude shows up. She starts talking to him, she is still pissed, and he is taking it all in, looking around, other customers and other clerks. He steps over, rings up my thermos and apologizes. He is telling her that all that info is NOT required and to just ring stuff up and accept payment. I thanked him, and her, and wished everyone a very merry Christmas. I got a couple of "you, too".
Around here, we have a grocery chain that insists on scanning your drivers license when buying alcohol.

Long story short. I told them to go fuck themselves, I'm never coming back. That was two and a half years ago. Fucking pricks. I told them they are infringing on my right to privacy and that they did not need that information in perpetuity. I'm 67 years old and even to the dumbest fuckwit cashier, I look a damned sight older than 21.

No other grocery stores/chains around here require the scan.