• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PTG B-...... custom actions

IHFarmer07

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Freeburg, Missouri
Question for the bolt action group here, I’m wanting to build a custom rifle myself by buying the parts and putting it all together to save money on a custom build and for fun. I have seen on PTG’s site that they make actions like a B-12 ect....custom action and was wandering if anyone has any experience with them actions? They are cheaper than say a custom action from the notable makers of actions and about the same price for say a trued Remington action, a couple hundred $$$ saved here and there is helpful so.

Out of curiosity......why on the ptg?
Ya the bighorn is on the list but I’m trying to see what’s all out there, get opinions on them and make a decision from there.....trying to stay $850 and less on an action.

My dealings with PTG years ago were positive but lately unfortunately they aren’t a company I have confidence in and I feel for the little bit more money the origin costs your getting a lot in product and customer service

Unless something has changed I thought the actions they were selling were made for them by Stiller Precision.
Not the blueprinted actions but the B series you were referring to.
Hmm that’s interesting, they have a good thing going for them here if they can have good customer service.
They also flute the action on the B series which is interesting looking but not necessary.

PTG has actions made by Stiller but with a different tennon spec as was explained to me. I don't think the actions in question are made by PTG though. I'd say don't even waste your time with all the other options on the market. Sure some people have had good luck with PTG but there's far more who haven't and it's been a problem spanning years.

PTG has actions made by Stiller but with a different tennon spec as was explained to me. I don't think the actions in question are made by PTG though. I'd say don't even waste your time with all the other options on the market. Sure some people have had good luck with PTG but there's far more who haven't and it's been a problem spanning years.
Fare enough......

You all have had very compelling points and I sure appreciate the time and opinions on the matter. Everyone has been very helpful, thank you!

The B series actions that PT&G pushes are made by them. They sale various versions of that action to other manufactures and custom rifle builders. Look closely at the action, then compare them to the lower cost actions from builders. I know this to be true as a few shops and builders around here needed actions in a hurry when an "up and coming" action build failed to meet the delivery volume. Nothing wrong with them, nothing fancy, just a basic action. I personal used one for a bit to try it out, then ordered another Origin.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
I have a B12 and highly recommend getting something else, like the Origin.
The SN is in the wrong place and has to moved, if you want an external bolt release.(see pic)
Also, the action is threaded for 6-48 scope mount screws, plus the mount is proprietary.
Not to mention the heavy bolt lift....my Origin has me spoiled.
I could have purchased another Origin for price of the PTG and plus work performed by Kampfeld Customs(pinned lug, 8-40 mount holes, side bolt release, & SN relocation)
548DD6DF-B9A8-497E-8ED3-5D68E10D8BFD.jpeg
582809FA-E838-4C8A-8F81-90E86D386DFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: IHFarmer07