• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

question about 223 load

pj68

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2006
Guys,
I see a lot of info about using 77 grain smk out here. Does anyone use a 75 grain bullet? I'm running a 1/9 20" rock barrel on a Rem 700. So far it seems to like the 75 grain BH stuff. I'm thinking of getting into reloading and was wondering about a 75 grain load. Thanks in advance.

SOTA

Re: question about 223 load

I've used the 75 Hornady at 200 & 300 before and it shot well. Doesn't take the wind quite as well as the 77 SMK, but it shot fine.

I have a 1/7.75. Not used them in a 1/9, so I can't say. I'm sure others have though and will hopefully chime in.

YMMV

-Slice

My bushy and Savage are both 1-9" twists and like the 69 and 70 grain bullets. I haven't tried anything heavier thinking they would be a waste of money.

If your getting good results with BHA 75 grain match rounds, you should do at least as well with handloaded 75 gr bullets for your rifle.

Nothing wrong with the 75's. If your guns shoots them well, keep running them through the tube. You will find a lot of "pet" loads on here for the 77SMK's. Most of these loads will be a good place for you start at with your 75grn Hornadys. If you intend on loading on the hot side, reccomended using winchester or lapua brass. Varget at 24 grains would be a great place to start. Good Luck ---Brandon

Guys,
I shot the 75's out to 650 yards. First time at that range with the ballistic calculator helping. I made first round hit on steel. I Shot the 77 grainers at a 100 yards not alot just about 10 rounds. I dunno if it was the load, me, or what not as accurate as the 75 grainers. Might have to spend more time on the 77's.

SOTA

Sota,

IMHO, a 20 inch 9 twist barrel and 75/77 gr load is right on the edge of what the rifle is capable of handling well. The Hornaday 75 and sierra 77, while simillar, are two very different bullets. I would look at the accepted "service rifle loads" for the two bullets and start from there if you want to experiment.

The Sierra has a pretty long bearing surface, and probably won't do well in a 20 inch barrel with the 9 twist. In fact, my boxes of 77 sierras state they are for use in 7 or 8 twist barrels only. From my experience, I'd stick with 69 or lower in a short barrel 9 twist rifle. If you find something that works, then it's a bonus!

ET

Yeah, the 75 grain bullet may push the envelope for your 1:9 twist. I'd give it a try but I wouldn't expect great groupings. Best to go the <69 grain route for the 1:9.

75gr HDY BTHP Match Moly, NATO brass, Rem 7 1/2BR Primer, 26.5gr (C*) (-this means it's a compressed load, y'all) of Ramshot Big Game. Very accurate out of a Savage 24" 1:9" 10FP factory barrel.

Sonic loads 1/9 will stabilize the 75/77 no issue at all ,I shoot 80 VLD's from a 9 twist 26" savage ..
The 75BTHP spanks the 77mk in the field ..

groups with my 9 twist 20" barrel XCR REM TACTICAL and 75BTHP last time out was .25 at 100 and .61 at 565 yards..
I run stiff load of 26.5 RE15 LC brass 75BTHP at 2875 fps.. better work up and see where your weapons limits are on the load ..

I've been loading the Hornady 75gr BTHP with 25.7gr RL-15 205m primers in Lapua cases for my 1:9 remington 5r. Getting ~2900fps. They shot well out to 800yds. After that I got really beat up by the wind (i'm new to shooting longer distances)

I haven't been able to get the 75gr Berger VLD to shoot well though...