Hunting & Fishing Question about coyote hunting

Re: Question about coyote hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been but I'm going to go this weekend so what time are they most active so I know when to be up </div></div>
lots of variables come into play when they are most active, when its cold, they're burning more calories, they need to eat more and more often, you have very good chances of killing dogs all day long... when its warmer, different story.
i've had guys tell me and i've read you cannot kill predators particularly bobcats unless its dusk or dawn, false... i've killed em straight up noon, all day long... if your new to this game you will quickly realize how a predator can fool you, they'll come when you least expect it, from the direction you least expect it... So be ready and start contributing to the pictures thread.

3 rules to go by...(among many others):

1. sun at your back(unless you are doing some night stands...duhh)

2. wind at your face

3. hunt areas that yotes are in (i.e. tracks, scat, food sources, etc.)

--also as mentioned, try your hand at night hunting. It's different, but effective.

Bottom line--best time to hunt yotes is ANYTIME!!
laugh.gif

just got back from getting some ammo since I was out. I picked up 3 20rnd packs of Federal American Eagle for $4.00 each from Academy Sporting goods. Hopefully I can use it this weekend on some coyotes otherwise back to shooting some paper.
IMG_20111208_133724.jpg

IMG_20111208_133846.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he means there's not a suppressor on it..
grin.gif
</div></div>
very good.

What sort of calls do you carry and whats the situation you use them? I am heading out this weekend and I am gonna try calling for the first time using mouth calls. I have the squallin rabit and a howler. I have shot Yotes before but usually while sitting on the deer stand and they happen to walk by. I usually only hear them Howling early in the a.m. so I am wondering if they would respond to a mid-day howl or if I should just plan on using the rabbit distress most of the time.

Hit em with a locator howl when you get set up to see if any are in the area, if they howl back, keep howling. If you dont get a response, then throw out some short rabbit screams and be ready. Usually they come running in after that.

I've personally got a buck gardner rabbit squeeler and a primos squeeler. Also got a Sceery howler that i finally managed to get decent with.

Great lookin rifle btw! I like the 550 platform, its a welcome reprieve from all the AR bases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some bullets intended for hunting, not FMJ's </div></div>

+1 I would return those 4 boxes and get one box of V-max's