• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Question for gunsmiths

Re: Question for gunsmiths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As previously mentioned if manufactured, then I have a choice to buy or not. When I provide all parts that I selected and paid for, then I really do not care to have someone etch their information on my property... just personal preference, neither right or wrong. </div></div>

Remind me to never sell you one of my knives....

I stamp my initials, my town/state, and a steel identifier.

Maker's marks......... </div></div>

Seriously? Did you not read the thread? I do not have an issue with buying something from the manufacturer with their mark on it, and if I do I simply do not buy it.

A better analogy is: I seriously doubt you put your mark on a customers knife that you sharpen though. </div></div>

Um, yeah...seriously.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the way you deal with hardworking craftsman, I've activated the "avoid this guy" button. I'm betting heavy odds too that you'll have a hard time getting anyone around here to do anything for you now after this thread. I'm gonna pass judgment and believe you are trying to sleazeball your money back on this.

Aside, bring me another maker's knife to sharpen and I'll politely tell you to send it to them, I'll sell you a sharp knife from my shop. Well not you, but you know what I'm saying.

If you can appreciate the effort and time a craftsman puts into his work, which you obviously can't, then you would be a little less likely to bitch like a spoiled school girl when they afirm their pride in workmanship by putting their name on it. I'd be VERY wary of the guy who did not want to put his name on his work.

If you didn't want a logo then you should have specified it to begin with and given the 'smith the opportunity to turn you down or not.

Simple IF/THEN logic goes a LONG damn way dude........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave,

Since you've chosen to send scathing PM's and then quickly remove yourself from the topic </div></div>

Guess I'm in that club now too....laffin'

Some people........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Guess I'm in that club now too....laffin'

Some people........ </div></div>

Really? Scathing? Seriously? This is absolutely laughable! I am rapidly loosing respect for some on here that I read with interest and respect. It seems that if you have a desenting opinion or less than fanboy review you are fair game... not exactly positive or constructive.

Get ready here is another scathing attack: "Best of luck to you." Sound familiar? Ouch... sounds scathing.

However I did say your comment regarding not paying as simply slanderous, and that I had nothing else to say about it.

'bohem' got a little bit more due to his blatant falsehoods and distortions. Then he (or she) ran away and selected ignore before I could reply in full.

As you were, Flame on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However I did say your comment regarding not paying as simply slanderous, and that I had nothing else to say about it.

</div></div>

Go back and re-read that one little word I keyed in that, "believe", implying that it's my opinion.

Free speech and all..........

Get a life dude, remember that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it was so important to you you should have made it clear at the begining you did NOT want the marking and he would have found a way to accomodate you. </div></div>

Thanks Woody. That is one of the points I made. I had provided a detailed spec sheet of what I wanted done. This being my first gunsmith builds I didn.t know what I didn't know. </div></div>
It's all a learning curve for everyone. Hopefully you and the smith can work it out.

As a builder, if a customer doesn't say that he does not want the logo on there, they are getting it. All good smiths proud of their work will do the same thing. I know for a fact that if you requested this not to be done, this particular smith would have honored your request. He is an incredibly respectful man who does very good work with a lot of pride. Not to mention that he is highly respected here on the Hide, and anywhere else he goes. You do what you think is best, but you might want to seriously consider dropping the whole issue.

to be perfectly honest if I paid good money for a top tier Gunsmith to do work on my rifle I WANT his etched name of his company on my rifle. In fact, I find it as a kind of collectors item to have GA Precision, Short Action Customs and Underground Skunkworks on my rifles barrels. You are making way too much out of this so just go out and shoot and get over it.

Shooters,

I just got back in town from a small trip I had planned for a few months, so this is my first time seeing this thread.

I am the builder who has been working with Rockfish Dave. As far as I know we have a solution to the problem. Once the barrels were received back from MMI Trutec, I was going to remove the etching and send the barrels back to MMI and have them Melonite them again with out the caliber etching. Joel at MMI confirmed that this would be a perfectly fine solution. Furthermore, there will be no harmful effects by turning down the outside diameter of a the 1.250" breech diameter of the barrel. My etching is only .005 deep or so.

Dave and I have been in constant email contact the whole time and I understand his frustration. The fact is it was a simple case of miscommunication and the rifles are completed with the exception of waiting for the Melonite from MMI. These rifles both met our accuracy guarantee of 1/2 MOA before sending them off.

The solutions I have offered are:

- Once the barrels come back in, remove the etching as discussed earlier, then send them back to MMI Trutec for Melonite treatment. Once they come back from MMI Trutec, box everything up and ship second day air to Dave once the payment is received.

- Once the barrels get back in, box everything up and ship the barrels and complete rifles back to Dave once payment is received.

I believe we have an agreement that is both fair for both parties. This thread has done more bad than good for both sides and I think it would be best to not instigate the situation. We are working on a solution that would get Dave his rifles back ASAP.

Mark