• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Question on FN A5 308

ocd

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
North Central Florida
I pick up a FN A5 308 recently for relatively low cost and on the box it has 24" CRF barrel,S/A 308 win 21837 and FN16xxx
I have searched everywhere and the only things I can come up with is the box is for the stock and action or it may be a refurb or factory second.
Does anyone know if FN sells refurbs or 2nds? or anything about this rifle?
I am a newbie so some of the obvious may not be so obvious to me

2011-08-13_20-07-12_832-1.jpg

Re: Newbie question on FN A5 308

I got the exact same rifle and called FN with the same questions. It is not a second or a reject. If my memory serves me correctly, they moved factories and they had barreled actions and stocks that were not technically 'together'. They were sold as separates, however they are genuine and mine actually had a test target and log book with headspacing info, trigger pull, and a nice .45 MOA group on the test target. I'm guessing that means that they test fire the barreled action's (which begs the question - why take it BACK out of the stock?? idk...)

Your receiver will probably have an X engraved on the top right (very small) to mark it as one of these rifles. Mine doesn't have a fluted barrel, however they all use the same barreled action so fluted or not it is an FN action with an FN chrome lined barrel. Mine is in the 16XXX range on the SN.

Mine is a tack driver and was brand new when I got it (still in the box). I paid about $1600 for an A5 FN SPR
smile.gif
and that was DEAL! Shoot it, enjoy it - if you are still concerned then you can call them and they will tell you something close to what I've said so far.
IMG_1316.jpg

100 yds w/hand loads (smk 168 bullets)
IMAG0205-Copy.jpg

100 yds w/fgmm 168
IMG_7528.jpg

label from my box
IMAG0183.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ocd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pick up a FN A5 308 recently for relatively low cost and on the box it has 24" CRF barrel,S/A 308 win 21837 and FN16036
I have searched everywhere and the only things I can come up with is the box is for the stock and action or it may be a refurb or factory second.

</div></div>

to add - I also had a small issue with the magazine not feeding correctly (its a floor plate design) when it was full with 5 rounds. I called FN, they sent me a call tag, i mailed it in, they fixed and returned to me at no charge and no questions asked at all. They treated it the same as any other service request.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the exact same rifle and called FN with the same questions. It is not a second or a reject. If my memory serves me correctly, they moved factories and they had barreled actions and stocks that were not technically 'together'. They were sold as separates, however they are genuine and mine actually had a test target and log book with headspacing info, trigger pull, and a nice .45 MOA group on the test target. I'm guessing that means that they test fire the barreled action's (which begs the question - why take it BACK out of the stock?? idk...)

Your receiver will probably have an X engraved on the top right (very small) to mark it as one of these rifles. Mine doesn't have a fluted barrel, however they all use the same barreled action so fluted or not it is an FN action with an FN chrome lined barrel. Mine is in the 16XXX range on the SN.

Mine is a tack driver and was brand new when I got it (still in the box). I paid about $1600 for an A5 FN SPR
smile.gif
and that was DEAL! Shoot it, enjoy it - if you are still concerned then you can call them and they will tell you something close to what I've said so far.
IMG_1316.jpg

100 yds w/hand loads (smk 168 bullets)
IMAG0205-Copy.jpg

100 yds w/fgmm 168
IMG_7528.jpg

label from my box
IMAG0183.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ocd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pick up a FN A5 308 recently for relatively low cost and on the box it has 24" CRF barrel,S/A 308 win 21837 and FN16036

</div></div> </div></div>

I thought the A5 has a McMillan A5 stock but the pic you show has an A4 stock. I have the same FN. The A5 takes slightly different mags as well.

Re: Question on FN A5 308

it was called the A5M TBM (Tactical Box Magazine) - they usually cost a little more than a regular A5M due to the bottom metal and mags. You are correct - they are not the same as the 4 round mags that the A5M usually takes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which spr is the one that takes the newer 5 and 10 rd mags. I bought.some thinking they would work for my spr but they were slightly different.</div></div>

I got lucky - I've not seen one of these since then either. This thread is the first one I've seen like mine. I'm sure there are others that got these rifles, however this would be a first person (the OP) that I've seen.

Sometimes you can find an A5M on gunbroker for 2k. Most the time you will pay around $2200-$2400 depending on the store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great setup! How do I get one foe $1600?
smile.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which spr is the one that takes the newer 5 and 10 rd mags. I bought.some thinking they would work for my spr but they were slightly different. </div></div>

I thought you told us that you bought your SPR from Tac-Cord. Why would you expect the new mags to fit the older discontinued guns that they are offering. Check out the models that they are offering and you find out that FN did not even offer guns with fluted barrels with those model #'s. What did FN tell you about your serial #? It pays to do a little research before making a purchase like this.

And like another poster said you can buy current models with a FULL FACTORY WARRANTY for $2000 #75532 SPR A5M.

It would be wise to purchase from a authorized FN dealer.

When I bought the gun mike (I think that's his name) had never handled the new mags. I bought them on gunbroker and every single ad said they fit spr's, pbr's,etc. Everyone selling them thought they fit everything. Mike was very surprised as was the dealer I bought the mags from. Fn was pretty stupid to not make them work across the board. No worries I will be home tonight and my rifle with cdi bottom metal will be back in my possession may 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwak</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which spr is the one that takes the newer 5 and 10 rd mags. I bought.some thinking they would work for my spr but they were slightly different. </div></div>

I thought you told us that you bought your SPR from Tac-Cord. Why would you expect the new mags to fit the older discontinued guns that they are offering. Check out the models that they are offering and you find out that FN did not even offer guns with fluted barrels with those model #'s. What did FN tell you about your serial #? It pays to do a little research before making a purchase like this.

And like another poster said you can buy current models with a FULL FACTORY WARRANTY for $2000 #75532 SPR A5M.

It would be wise to purchase from a authorized FN dealer. </div></div>

I could give a crap about factory warranty ifbthe company stands behind there product and I save 500 for basically the exact same gun. I mean who keeps a precision rifle stock? That factory warranty doesn't mean shit after I have it pillar bedded, different trigger, different bottom metal, different bolt handle etc.

I don't think I own a single gun in factory configuration.

Like said thought the guns from tac ord are 100% fn parts.

He told me it would be covered under warranty but I'm in new jersey right now and live in ok. I have the serial recorded at home in Oklahoma. I will try to remember to call fn Monday and I will let everyone know. Seriously though once I found out it worked what do I care about warranty? That and the fact that it has never seen a factory round only my hand loads.

I would like to see the bottom metal from CDI on your gun. Thinking of doing that myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwak</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which spr is the one that takes the newer 5 and 10 rd mags. I bought.some thinking they would work for my spr but they were slightly different. </div></div>

It would be wise to purchase from a authorized FN dealer. </div></div>

I could give a crap about factory warranty ifbthe company stands behind there product and I save 500 for basically the exact same gun. I mean who keeps a precision rifle stock? That factory warranty doesn't mean shit after I have it pillar bedded, different trigger, different bottom metal, different bolt handle etc.

I don't think I own a single gun in factory configuration.

Like said thought the guns from tac ord are 100% fn parts.

He told me it would be covered under warranty but I'm in new jersey right now and live in ok. I have the serial recorded at home in Oklahoma. I will try to remember to call fn Monday and I will let everyone know. Seriously though once I found out it worked what do I care about warranty? That and the fact that it has never seen a factory round only my hand loads.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RRA_45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I bought the gun mike (I think that's his name) had never handled the new mags. I bought them on gunbroker and every single ad said they fit spr's, pbr's,etc. Everyone selling them thought they fit everything. Mike was very surprised as was the dealer I bought the mags from. Fn was pretty stupid to not make them work across the board. No worries I will be home tonight and my rifle with cdi bottom metal will be back in my possession may 1.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see the bottom metal from CDI on your gun. Thinking of doing that myself.</div></div>

That was the first mod I did on my SPR. Jeff is a great guy and you will love the ability to use AICS mags.