• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Question on Remington 40X vs. 700

Re: Question on Remington 40X vs. 700

<span style="font-weight: bold">I prefer a 40x to use as a tomato stake, due to it's longer barrel.</span>

You do know how many different models of 700's and 40x's Remington makes? Really, unless you want less than intelligent answers (which are provided at no cost to you), like the one I just posted, what applications your planning on using or buying a rifle for, would be most helpful.

This is not the "Price is Right" game show. For rifle prices go the Remington.com and you can see all the MSRP's of their entire line. If your talking used 700's vs 40x's, spend the $29. and buy the "Blue Book of Gun Values".

Your original question is similar to the one that begins with "How long is a piece of string"?

Bob

Magforce,

People are very helpful here on the Hide. But they have to know for what purposes your asking the question.

For example:

Remington has over 30 models of Rem 700's, not counting special runs, plus how many calibers are each model offered in? At least 5 models of Tactical 700's (in 4 to 5 different calibers each). Plus they have the 40x's and 700's models out of the Custom shop, in 30 or maybe more different calibers?

So your asking for an open ended evaluation of forty model 700's VS five or so special custom shop built 40x's, in maybe 30 different calibers, for what Applications?

Benchrest
FClass Target shooting
Tactical Comps
Hunting
Varmints
Ringing steel @ 300, 500, 1000, 1500 yds?
Sabretooth Tiger and Mastadon Bashing

I mean it does make a difference. Not being a smart ass, but tell us the why and what your looking for, and then you might get an answer you can use.

Bob

I am new to this forum, but not to shooting. I spend most of my time over on the benchrest forums. Recently, I too have wanted to understand the difference between the 700 and 40X, so I did some research. I have an interest in building a clone M40, not an A1 or A3, but a M40. That is why I started looking around. Here is information that I found and believe to be correct, but I won't be offended by differing opinions.

The 40X is a single shot action, no magazine cutout. The 40XB is a 40X repeater, with magazine cutout. The 700's are repeaters as well. It's easy to understand that a non-repeater could reasonably be a "stiffer" action as it contains more meat. My benchrest rifles are all single shot customs for that reason.

But to reproduce a M40, it has to be a repeater, so now we have to consider the difference between the 40XB and a 700. In that regard, what I have gathered is that there is no difference. Except in market value, because they are touted as "target" rifles. To build a precision shooter, you'd still have to "true" the 40XB or the 700. So if you are doing a buils for yourself and not for future selling value, why invest in the higher-price version of the same action. When the USMC 2112 armorers got a 700 or 40XB action, they "trued" them up regardless. The Remington Custom Shop did not "true" the actions. They are very nice cosmetically, but are of the same genes.

I hope everybody takes this information tongue-in-cheek as I have. I went to reputable sources and it all makes sense. As always, YMMV.

Thanks,

curtis

Right-o, however,the USMC replaced all barrels anyway. I don'tknow if the original poster was doing a build or looking for an off the shelf rifle. Anybody got an old 700P stock??

In a nutshell the 40X is a FAR Superior rifle. Period. The 40X is a Custom Shop rifle and as such is built to more exacting standards. I don't know about the rifling but I can tell you that the 2 40X's I've owned shot better than any rifle I've ever shot... Including SSG's, AI's and a number of other custom builds that claimed 1/4 MOA accuracy. My latest 40X Repeater (which is finally exactly what I was looking for) shot a 4 shot group you could cover with a dime at 300yds 2 weeks ago! The 40X and the 700 share ONLY the Manufacturer's Name! THERE IS NO COMPARISON! If you can get a 40X Repeater in 7.62 Nato for less than $1500.00 that's not already shot-out... get it! You won't regret it! If you know anyone who has one and you don't want it, let me know who it is and tell them I'll take it! I can't afford another, but I'll get it somehow!!!

Did that 5th shot get thrown off..? Maybe stick with 3-shot group. Not many sanctioned 4-shot groups around these days .

Just kidding, yesnice rifle.

read the wind..........

I'll make this simple without adding too much additional (read confusing) information.

In a nutshell the 40X is from the custom shop and there are many configurations available as well as some truly custom options.

If you wanted an out the box high end rifle the 40X would fit the bill but IMO for the money so would many others. Gun Broker had a few 40X HB's and the TIR/TDR with prices between 3000-3700. For sake of conversation I'll only compare the "Tactical" 40X as there are many other flavors. In the 3000-3700 price range you can get a nice GAP (routinly have rifles ready to ship) or a TRG or an AIAE or even an HS Precision and IMO have a much better product but its your money do what you want.

Any of the other 700's that come off the production line will and can serve your needs just as well if you look at it as something to build off of ie as funds permit if thats a concern or if you ever truly feel anything needs to be done at all.

Best bang for the buck with stock 700's seems to be the 5R and there is not much that really needs to be done to it out the box.
I'm not crazy about the stock by YMMV.

What specificaly do you want to youse the rifle for and what do you feel like spending? There is a rifle to fit any reply you may have to that question.

if you are going to have a m-40 built and have a smith mess around with it anyways then there is no need to buy a 40-x. you will be wasting your money for options you will not need.

to build a m-40 you will need a rem 700 action
a mike rock 5r barrel
the receiver cut for a clip
badger ordnance bottom metal
manners or mcm stock
the whole action gone over with a fine tooth comb w/ all the goodies
a us optics st-10 which is a special run
the whole action and barrel parkerized

thats about the jist of it.

there is a whole thread that explains this in the stickied posts in the rifle section.

if i was you i would seriously think about your budget vs wgat you expect out of the rifle your are either going to build or buy.

if it was me i would define this better so we can help you pick out the proper setup for what you want to do.

rifles are all about what the user needs to fit a purpose and fit to the person.

i spent close to a year deciding before i even plopped one dollar down for a rifle. and it changed greatly during that year.

this forum is very helpful in advising where to get parts, optics, stocks, smiths and dealers to help get you setup how you want it.

if you tell us what you want to do with the rifle we can come up with some pretty good stuff.

here is the rifle i am currently working on getting done

a rem 700 5r in .308
a manners stock t4-a all tricked out
badger rail 20 moa
new bolt knob, working on what type
new trigger timneyw/ safety
atlas bipod
2 scopes, one for hunting one for paper
3-10x50 kahles helia cl for hunting
5-25 us optics in mil/mil setup not sure what rectile yet

this took a year to figure out.

Thanks a ton guys you all have been very helpful, I got this 40x that has all the above listed stuff on it like the canjar trigger, Hart Barrel, Kevlar stock and it looks like it was shot once I had a local gun shop look in the barrel he said it looks like they may have shot it once cleaned it and put it up. It is truely custom. Now the question is do i wanna trade it or modify it. I have an M40A3 thats brand new and a 700 PSS in a 308 so GOD knows i dont need another 308 but its a beauty. What to dooo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwood3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did that 5th shot get thrown off..? Maybe stick with 3-shot group. Not many sanctioned 4-shot groups around these days .

Just kidding, yesnice rifle.

read the wind.......... </div></div>
Funny... thing is it was the last 4 rounds I had left. I had shot 3 that virtually looked like one hole. I just decided to send the 4th shot down because I couldn't go home with 1 round!...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magforce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a ton guys you all have been very helpful, I got this 40x that has all the above listed stuff on it like the canjar trigger, Hart Barrel, Kevlar stock and it looks like it was shot once I had a local gun shop look in the barrel he said it looks like they may have shot it once cleaned it and put it up. It is truely custom. Now the question is do i wanna trade it or modify it. I have an M40A3 thats brand new and a 700 PSS in a 308 so GOD knows i dont need another 308 but its a beauty. What to dooo? </div></div>
How much for the 40X???

very opened ended question so many models to compare, pesonally i own a remy 700vs and a 40xb tactical,in my opinion the 40xb is superior,a pure tack driver.thats the only 2 models iv had experience with and so can comment on .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwood3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to this forum, but not to shooting. I spend most of my time over on the benchrest forums. Recently, I too have wanted to understand the difference between the 700 and 40X, so I did some research. I have an interest in building a clone M40, not an A1 or A3, but a M40. That is why I started looking around. Here is information that I found and believe to be correct, but I won't be offended by differing opinions.

The 40X is a single shot action, no magazine cutout. The 40XB is a 40X repeater, with magazine cutout. The 700's are repeaters as well. It's easy to understand that a non-repeater could reasonably be a "stiffer" action as it contains more meat. My benchrest rifles are all single shot customs for that reason.

But to reproduce a M40, it has to be a repeater, so now we have to consider the difference between the 40XB and a 700. In that regard, what I have gathered is that there is no difference. Except in market value, because they are touted as "target" rifles. To build a precision shooter, you'd still have to "true" the 40XB or the 700. So if you are doing a buils for yourself and not for future selling value, why invest in the higher-price version of the same action. When the USMC 2112 armorers got a 700 or 40XB action, they "trued" them up regardless. The Remington Custom Shop did not "true" the actions. They are very nice cosmetically, but are of the same genes.

I hope everybody takes this information tongue-in-cheek as I have. I went to reputable sources and it all makes sense. As always, YMMV.

Thanks,

curtis </div></div>

When I got back from DS back in 1991, I had a 40XB in .300 Win Mag (wooden stock - 2 lb trigger) waiting for me. My wife was working for a gunshop and they sold me the 40XB at cost. It was a single shot rifle. They also sold me a Unertl 16 X external adjustment scope with a 1.5 inch objective.

I did my own reloading - Remington brass, Fed. 210M primers, 190 grain Sierra Match King bullets, and Hogdons H1000 powder. I was using (initial testing)80 grains, a slightly compressed load and then went down to 79.5 grains of H1000.

I went to the range in Ft. Bragg and sighted in my rifle. When I went to the 1000 yard range, my first sighter was in the 9 ring. Even with the shooting jacket and glove on my left hand the 40XB kicked like a mule. I stayed in the 9, 10, and Xs. That was my first time shooting with a sling, and using a Unertl scope. My reloading was with a Bonanza single stage press which is superb.

In crafting my ammunition, I took my time and used all the bench rest techniques.

I could not have had results like that if I had not been shooting with a Remington 40XB rifle! I paid $850 in 1990 dollars! There is no way you could do that with a 700 out of the box. Get the 40X!

Last year I saw a basic 40X .308 with a Bushy 4200 being shot against a ton of high-dollar, flame painted benchrest rifles (Borden, Stiller, etc.) and doing very well. That says a lot. As much as I have an aversion to contributing to Remington's coffers I've always wanted a 40X or M24.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last year I saw a basic 40X .308 with a Bushy 4200 being shot against a ton of high-dollar, flame painted benchrest rifles (Borden, Stiller, etc.) and doing very well. That says a lot. As much as I have an aversion to contributing to Remington's coffers I've always wanted a 40X or M24. </div></div>

Hey Snakum, how are things in FayetteNam? I haven't returned in years. But for some reason Ft. Bragg and the 82nd will always be in my memories, good and bad. Take care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handym3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are going to have a m-40 built and have a smith mess around with it anyways then there is no need to buy a 40-x. you will be wasting your money for options you will not need.

to build a m-40 you will need a rem 700 action, Correct
a mike rock 5r barrel, Wrong, either Hart of Schneider
the receiver cut for a clip, correct
badger ordnance bottom metal, maybe for a M40A3, winchester on M40A1
manners or mcm stock, only McMillan, never Manners
the whole action gone over with a fine tooth comb w/ all the goodies
a us optics st-10 which is a special run, Nope MST-100
the whole action and barrel parkerized, close, black oxide

thats about the jist of it.
</div></div>
Sorry, but about 99% of this is wrong. All of it is wrong for a M40, and some is wrong for either the M40A1 or M40A3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ricardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Snakum, how are things in FayetteNam? I haven't returned in years. But for some reason Ft. Bragg and the 82nd will always be in my memories, good and bad. Take care. </div></div>

Probably a little more classy than when you were here ... but just barely.
laugh.gif

I joined the Army mainly because I grew up in Lillington and was impressed watching all the burgundy berets and starched BDUs. Then I got stuck in Mech Infantry and the closest I came to jump school was a static line out of a Twin Otter on my own dime. LOL.