• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Question using the Hornady OAL gauge

Re: Question using the Hornady OAL gauge

"Anyone experience a bullet never reaching the lans because it sticks in the free bore?"

I'm puzzled how the Hornady OAL gage affects bullets sticking "in the free bore." ??

Chamber and bore are clean.
Using the OAL tool with the modified .308 case and a 178g amax. Pushing the bullet by the plastic rod with my finger, expecting that the bullet will stop against the lans. Is it possible that the bullet could stop in the free bore never touching the lans?
Thanks for your input, Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmilobrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chamber and bore are clean.
Using the OAL tool with the modified .308 case and a 178g amax. Pushing the bullet by the plastic rod with my finger, expecting that the bullet will stop against the lans. Is it possible that the bullet could stop in the free bore never touching the lans?
Thanks for your input, Rob </div></div>

Are you asking if the bullet can move completely out of the casemouth before touching the lands, yes. But it would have to be a short bullet and a long throat.

If that's <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> what you're asking, I don't know what you'd have in there to "stop" it.....

Using mine, occasionally the bullet does want to stick a little, and this results in a grossly under length case. I saw another post on here about picking up a $1 36 inch 1/4 inch diameter wooden dowel at the local hardware store. This is inserted into the front of the barrel and the Oal gauge from the rear. (Minds outta tha gutter). You then "balance" the bullet between them, playing with it until you get the feel of the bullet just barely touching the lands. That being said, my 175 SMKs have triple the deviation from average length as the 178 Amax, so I measure 10 and average them, then use the average to deter ing COAL and seating depth. Works pretty well from my limited experience.

You might want to consider adding the bullet comparator, and measuring to the ogive instead of taking an "average" of ten and using OAL to seat the bullet. Since I started using the comparator, I never load to OAL...