Questions on Flatline and Cutting Edge bullets

Bravo6niner

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 30, 2017
High Plains
So I’m getting my 338 lapua imp. barrel before long and trying to decide on bullets. I’m going to run solids exclusively and have a 8-7.25 gain twist. On to the questions,

Can I interchange between flatlines and cutting edge without cleaning like you can flatlines and jacketed bullets?

As far as the cutting edge what is the preferred bullet for ELR, mtac or lazer?

I’ve ran some 256 flatline in the past and really like them but I’m wanting to run the heavier 285 they have coming out in the next couple months. In the meantime can you guys recommend a cutting edge you have had good luck with in that 270-300 range.

Thanks.

I'm running the 277 grain single feed mtac's in my 338 Snipetac. I plan on testing some of the heavier bullets in the spring when it warms up. I hate testing new components when it's this cold out. I did not have any luck with the Lehigh's or Flatlines. The cutting edge bullets have performed best as far as accuracy for me.

I have used the 277 CE in my .338LM. For me I have had better results with 300 Berger Hybrid. I have found the the 277 is flatter shooting out to 2400 yards but after that the 300's are better. I shot the SWE ULR match in Nov with the 300's and was able to hit the far target at 2616 Yards also there was a second guy also shooting a 338LM with 300 Bergers had hits at 2616 Yards .
I am going to give the 33xc a try and plan on staying with the 300 Bergers and when the new 329 Gr Bergers come out i will give them a shot.
I live in NW AZ so i have lots of room to test and shoot so i get real world data not just ballistic projections.

Reactions: DIBBS
Ive not seen too many issues with mixing jacketed projectiles like the 230 and 300 Bergers, with say
198 Flatlines or CE projectiles in 300 NM and 338 LM Improved . Some previous generation solids
have been terrible for fouling, usually those of a higher brass content. In 375 and 416 however,
regardless of who makes the projectile or the solid material, you might see more fouling due to the
higher velocity and long barrels used.

Clearlight
You can say that, which is fine but I was surprised on how well the fouling cleaned up or lack of any heavy fouling with the 400 grain Flat lines in my 375 that were running and easy 3361 fps out of a 35” 8 twist barrel. The Flat Line bullets have worked well .

Bravo
You should be able to swap back and forth with what you mentioned, the CEs will foul a little more due to the seal band smearing as it seals the lands right out of the gate but that is what they designed it to do in order to get a good seal.

oneshot.onehit
JH

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I will give the 277 CE a try and when the 285 flatline becomes available I’ll try them as well. With a 30” barrel what kinda rough velocity should I expect out the 277 from the 338 lapua improved?

Clearlight
You can say that, which is fine but I was surprised on how well the fouling cleaned up or lack of heavy fouling with the 400 grain Flat lines in my 375 that were running and easy 3361 fps out of a 35” 8 twist barrel.

Bravo
You should be able to swap back and forth with what you mentioned, the CEs will foul a little more due to the seal band smearing as it seals the lands right out of the gate but that is what they designed it to do in order to get a good seal.

oneshot.onehit
JH
What 375 chambering do you shoot? I'm building a 375 BAS from Rob Vestal.

Matthew488

Warner 375

oneshot.onehit 05795F44-C2DE-4A6E-A06D-398E095C374B.jpeg

So I’m getting my 338 lapua imp. barrel before long and trying to decide on bullets. I’m going to run solids exclusively and have a 8-7.25 gain twist. On to the questions,

Can I interchange between flatlines and cutting edge without cleaning like you can flatlines and jacketed bullets?

As far as the cutting edge what is the preferred bullet for ELR, mtac or lazer?

I’ve ran some 256 flatline in the past and really like them but I’m wanting to run the heavier 285 they have coming out in the next couple months. In the meantime can you guys recommend a cutting edge you have had good luck with in that 270-300 range.

Thanks.

"I’m going to run solids exclusively "
I am curious why you want to use only solids. What is your reasoning for this decision?