• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

R&D Precision Custom .308- Short Range Report

tommyyang

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2009
CA, Los Angeles
New rifle purchased from Randy Cain, R&D Precision. This is one of his 'signature builds', and is serial #2 of his Guardian Series.

Specs:

-Phoenix Machine one piece bolt Falcon action GUARDIAN002
-Caliber .308 Match
-Bartlein tight bore MTU barrel cut to 22” from the lug.
-Barrel threaded 5/8x24 with thread protector (I have the muzzle break installed in the photo).
-Manners T2A stock. Stock was re-textured and painted utilizing Cerakote
-Stock is pillar and Devcon bedded.
-Badger M5 bottom metal. One AW 10 round double stack mag.
-Rifle Basix trigger set at 2.5 lbs.
-Seekins Precision integral recoil lug and 20 MOA base.
-Rifle coated in Mil Spec OD Cerakote.
-USO SN3, 3.2x17 (lit reticle was very helpful in the dark)

rdrifle.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Match, 168 grain. West End Gun Club, CA. slightly windy conditions. 10:30PM. Targets were lit with a Pelican 9460 area light. Hate shooting at night, but work schedule does not permit otherwise.

Shots were taken at slightly over 100 yards.

5 shot groups:

group2f.jpg

group1d.jpg

A typical 3 shot group:

group4bg.jpg

A closer view:
group3z.jpg

I have less than 80 rounds down the pipe, and I am new to shooting precision bolt rifles. I am sure that I have a long way to go with my limited experience. I am very impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of this rifle. So much so that I am requesting R&D to build me another rifle in cal .260.

Randy has been patient and helpful with tons of my 'noobie' questions, both before and after the sale. He is a true professional, and I can't recommend him enough. Also helps that he lives close by!

Thanks again Randy!
grin.gif

Re: R&D Precision Custom .308- Short Range Report

dangerous,

Just a couple of comments:

1) I did not think they let you have stuff that goes bang in the DPRC
smile.gif
(Democratic Peoples Republic of California)

2) You keep missing the center of the target, what's up with that?....
blush.gif

3) EXCELLENT SHOOTING.....

Nice stick BTW,

Bob

R&D PRECISION = TOP NOTCH !!!

Your Shooting = TOP NOTCH !!! Especially @ 10:30PM Pitch Dark WEGC ....Awesome Rifle & Sweet Setup !!!

+1 Randy "HateCA" Cain @ R&D Precision has always delivered from: Custom Rifles, Minor to Major Rifle Upgrades, Customer Service, & ALWAYS Taken His Time. The BEST Part, Honest & No BS. What works, WORKS.

Have a great one,
FTK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dangerous,

Just a couple of comments:

1) I did not think they let you have stuff that goes bang in the DPRC
smile.gif
(Democratic Peoples Republic of California)

2) You keep missing the center of the target, what's up with that?....
blush.gif

3) EXCELLENT SHOOTING.....

Nice stick BTW,

Bob

</div></div>

Thanks Bob- I'm still learning how to take full advantage of my scope. From what I've read and heard, I've picked up decent glass in the USO.

I guess when it comes to bolt action rifles, it's one of the few things we have here in CA that the gov't hasn't figured a way to screw up for us.

Glad to hear that Randy/ R&D Precision has such loyal support. It's certainly well deserved!

Hi Dangerous,

Nice rifle. I was just speaking with Randy today about a new build. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did.

I dig your lighting setup. I'm a member at WEGC also and my work schedule is like yours. I need to look into some kind of lighting as well. I live so close to the range, it's a shame I don't get to shoot more.

congrats on your new shooter.
-todd