• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

R700 AICS AT Chassis 300WM to 308Win conversion possible?

Boyydavid

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2024
California
Hey All,

I’m new here and new to this type of build, I’ve been trying to do research on possibly doing a multi caliber build on a AICS AT Chassis. But haven’t been able to find much and whatever information I could find wasn’t too helpful on the internet.

I was hoping someone can guide me in the right direction about going about this.

I’m planning to get a R700 Long Action 300WM AICS AT Chassis. Is there a possible way to convert this chassis to shoot .308win?

So a couple questions I have:
1. If I buy a separate barrel + action for .308 would I be able to put this on the 300WM AICS AT chassis?
2. If I am able to do the above, the next problem will be the magazine. Is it possible to load .308 AICS magazine into a 300WM Chassis with a type of conversion? Or is modifying a 300WM magazine to feed .308 the only option?
3. If this is possible, what needs to be done to make this happen?

*Assume money and practicality is out the door. Is there a way to accomplish this build on one chassis with multiple barrels/actions/magazines

You will be money and practicality ahead just buying 2 complete rifles.

1) No
2) N/A
3) Not possible. You would need to drill new action screw holes in your stock/chassis, then also make a new place for the recoil lug to fit, reshape/fill or some other bastardization to the magwell and somehow be able to take that shit out so you can go back to 300WM.

Check out the long action zermatt origin my man. I would snag one from northland shooter supply and a savage take off barrel for peanuts and be off to the races. If all you are shooting is 308 for now the 473 bolt head is what you are after, and you could always get the other bolts and accurate mags when you go down that rabbit hole later. If you dont have the chassis yet good luck, ai has started to discontinue them so go after that first If you're doing it piecemeal.

Reactions: Boyydavid