• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Range card DIY “overlay”?

fnberzerker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho, USA
Does anyone know of a way to make an accurate “overlay” to make a range card over a to scale picture/map of an area?

Basically I’m looking to take a picture or screenshot from onx hunt (onX hunt specifically because of the frequency of satellite photo; every two weeks I think) and want to put an overlay with concentric half circles for every hundred yards out to 1k or so. Not sure if there is already a product that does this or a way to make it accurate for me to draw the game circle and insert them into the photo with photoshop or something akin.

Thanks for any thoughts, sorry if my way of explaining made it confusing.

ETA: might be confusing my wording, more of a sector sketch I guess. Overhead photo with rings showing distances. Thanks!

ATAK/CivTAK has a similar function although it is in meters only. If you can export onX maps in a compatible format like KML you should be able to make it work.
Awesome I’ll check it out! I’ve found some tools online to draw circles, but the more you add the more it blocks out the underlying photo. I’ll give atak a try, I haven’t messed with it but have heard a bit about it. Thanks for the idea!

Wow, I don't hunt any longer but these tools are great for a hunter, especially if it's a new place. One thing I did, although kind of crude was print out a satellite picture of the place I hunted and made a trace with a legend from points. Big thing also is if you dont know the area, terrain, growth, etc. may affect where you can shoot from.
I haven't fiddled with maps ruler to see if you can save data or I guess you could screenshot

I guess the easy way to do full circles (vs half) within onxhunt gives me results in this:
1727398072276.png

I only did two circles over a lake for this test, a red and green one. It’s not perfect, but here’s what I did.
  1. Set a waypoint
  2. Save it
  3. On the resulting screen immediately afterwards, pull up. Or if you already have a waypoint set, click on it and pull up, like this:
1727398405559.png

Then you’ll see this thing at the bottom:
1727398452264.png

Turn it on like I did and set the largest radius you want.

To make more smaller radius circles, set a waypoint very near to the first waypoint. If you set a waypoint on the EXACT same coordinates you cannot select it (I couldn’t) as it’s blocked by other waypoints. Maybe on the desktop version it would be easier?

Make sure to color it differently.

But…if you draw too many circles, you’re going to run into transparency issues. Depends how many circles you want and how readable you want the underlying map to be.

Different overlapping colors give you more/less legibility.

If you want to see under the circles, you can turn them off in that area I showed you above. There may be a master “hide” button too.

I guess the easy way to do full circles (vs half) within onxhunt gives me results in this:
View attachment 8511233

I only did two circles over a lake for this test, a red and green one. It’s not perfect, but here’s what I did.
  1. Set a waypoint
  2. Save it
  3. On the resulting screen immediately afterwards, pull up. Or if you already have a waypoint set, click on it and pull up, like this:
View attachment 8511237

Then you’ll see this thing at the bottom:
View attachment 8511238

Turn it on like I did and set the largest radius you want.

To make more smaller radius circles, set a waypoint very near to the first waypoint. If you set a waypoint on the EXACT same coordinates you cannot select it (I couldn’t) as it’s blocked by other waypoints. Maybe on the desktop version it would be easier?

Make sure to color it differently.

But…if you draw too many circles, you’re going to run into transparency issues. Depends how many circles you want and how readable you want the underlying map to be.

Different overlapping colors give you more/less legibility.

If you want to see under the circles, you can turn them off in that area I showed you above. There may be a master “hide” button too.
Awesome, I didn’t see the radius thing before, thanks! I’ll play with it.

I think if it doesn’t do what I have in mind I’ll just do it the old school way, print an overhead shot, mark known distance locations, mark shooting position, then get out the trusty pencil and compass and draw my own circles on the sheet.

Reactions: carbonbased
There used to be transparency sheets you could run through a laser printer to make overlays. No idea if they still carry that kind of thing at Staples or the big box office stores.

1727444372931.png

You can make your own with acetate or a document protector and a fine-tip Sharpie pen.

1727444247350.png
1727444132019.png

1727444145267.png

Last edited:
There used to be transparency sheets you could run through a laser printer to make overlays. No idea if they still carry that kind of thing at Staples or the big box office stores.

You can make your own with acetate or a document protector and a fine-tip Sharpie pen.
I’ll explore that. Was aiming to have a fairly quick way to do different areas on the ‘puter and print and slide into a sleeve.

Haven’t thought about transparencies for a minute! Haha

Reactions: sinister