• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report: Model 75 .22

bsybouts

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Monroe, WA
1st post and it's a cross post from another forum at that...sorry!

Came looking for more .22 info for my model 75 in regards to ammo.

Was out at the range for a few hours last Saturday, sunny & about 45 degrees with no wind. 50 yards from the bench with bi-pod & sand bags. All groups are 5 rounds.

CCI Green tag had a spoiler almost an inch+ from the others in 4 out of 7 groups. I didn't include the spolier in the measurement. The CCI ammo has been sitting in the closet for at least 5-10 years...

DSC01113.jpg

CCI Mini Mag was pretty consistent.

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

CCI Pistol Match was pretty consistent as well but not as tight as the Mini Mag on average, didn't post all the groups.

DSC01116.jpg

Fiocchi SM320 has proven time & time again to be the most consistent.

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

I'm still on the hunt for something better in regards to ammo so any suggestions and links to online sales would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

Re: Range Report: Model 75 .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You shooting with the peeps or optics? I shoot my 75 with fed. bulk indoors and it's pretty consistant. My 541X seems to prefer standard speed rounds. My 513T and 521T both shoot fed. bulk well also. Some of these older style guns like velocity while others don't.

Hope this helps... </div></div>

Optics.

From what I have found it likes the sub 1100fps (around 1050fps I think) rounds better than the higher velocity. By pretty consistent what do you mean, what kind of group sizing?

Thanks
Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long story short, find what works and don't change it.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That's what I've been doing for the most part, but I'm sure there's some other brands out there that I've missed.

Was back out at the range today shooting 5 round groups @ 50 yards with the 75. Some of the same ammo as before along with others.

These are average numbers in inches based on 6 groups each measured center to center:

CCI Pistol Match 0.757
Remington Target 0.829
CCI Min Mag 0.806
Fiocchi SM320 0.759
Golden Eagle Target Not worth mentioning
Fiocchi 40g CPSC Not worth mentioning
Winchester T22 Target 1.118
Eley Sport Not worth mentioning
Golden Eagle Match 0.660

I still have 4 types from Aguila to try but that may have to wait until next weekend.

Brad

Is your 75 drilled and tapped for scope? How did you mount it? Mine has the blocks on the receiver and barrel. Don't want to D&T it for scope as it was made in 1952. (99% condition and want to keep it that way) Only way I see to mount a scope is to get one of the Unertl's for it.
I can do groups like that with the peeps and CCI SV at 50yds, it also likes Winchester ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparks1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your 75 drilled and tapped for scope? How did you mount it? Mine has the blocks on the receiver and barrel. Don't want to D&T it for scope as it was made in 1952. (99% condition and want to keep it that way) Only way I see to mount a scope is to get one of the Unertl's for it.
I can do groups like that with the peeps and CCI SV at 50yds, it also likes Winchester ammo. </div></div>

It has the factory mounts but it was drilled & tapped for the scope, blasphemy I know. It was made in '42.

I wasn't too impressed with my shooting yesterday, groups were almost double the size from better days with the same ammo.

Drilled and tapped...ah what the heck. You have a M75, that's what matters. Original mags are not easy to find and not cheap either. Especially the 10 rounders!!!!

I have one original 5 round mag (age shows with the metal) that still works fine and years ago I was able to find 2 more factory new 5 rounders. The 10 round mag I had was worn out and unusable.

To find out how it really shoots with different brands of ammo, you have to swab the barrel out to remove the previous bullet lube. Then you have to season the barrel with the next ammo brand lube. This takes a few rounds to do. You will find the target ammo will be the most consistent. Some ammo will have a few fliers because of the velocity spread. Considering your rifle is 1942, it may have been over cleaned thru the years, This ruins more rifles than not cleaning it at all. Just a wet patch and a few dry patches is all that is necessary to clean out fowling, once the barrel is seasoned for a certain ammo. Check the crown
for cleaning rod wear ect.Sold my 1940's Winchester 75 to a good friend when I needed money. I still have 3 Winchester 52's and several mags, both 5, 10 and single loading insert. They take the same mags as the 75.
P2190185.jpg