• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

range results

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
So, I just got back from the range and am happy but also disappointed.

At 100 meters I can make bug holes - five shot groups at .5 MOA or better. At 200 meters this opens up to about 1 MOA.

The question is: Is this my shooting ability or is it the rifle? I guess the real question is: Can a rifle shoot differently at varying distances?
Rifle: JP LRP-07
Scope: USO
Chambered in 308
Bullet: 168grn SHPT’s.

I should also mention that I hand load so every bullet, case dimension, primer, and powder charge are ‘almost’ exactly the same.

Does anyone here work up a new load for different distances?
I’m somewhat new to the sport – been doing it for about 3 years so I apologize if these are stupid questions!

Re: range results

It depends on how many groups you did...

If you shot one group of each then I would say your results are not valid...

Also depends what you were shooting from... rest, bags, bipod, etc. Then It could very well be you since its much harder to hold small groups at a distance off a less stable rest like a bipod than it is off a solid rest.

Wind could also play a small part, barrel temp, (whether its floated or not).

In my experience for the most part ammo will be fairly consistent, it just gets harder to shoot as you go further out.

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in with more detailed info...

I work up loads starting at 300. Just what I do. I know that as my distance goes out, my groups open up.

Under 600 yards, my (my sons now) 308 shoots pretty good. No great opening up if I start with a load that shoots good at 300. Still under a minute.

Question: how accurate does it "need" to be? Will 1 moa do for you? You are running a gas gun, but should still shoot under 1moa at 200.

Nah, must just be you! Lol

what is the power of your scope. often times, you can aim and hit a small target at 100yds but at distance it becomes difficult to aim at a small target becasue the reticle covers it up, therefore you can not aim a precisly

Honestly the way it shoots now it's probably fine for 99% of the applications it's to be used for - shooting steel in competitions, putting a hole between the eye's of a Zombie, or just plinking. This is not a bench rest gun and I understand that. However, it is a precision $4k rifle not including the $3,200 scope and there in lye’s the frustration. Make sense?

haha yup.

When I first started handloading I had an obsession with the 100yd range... thats all i would do is try to shrink my groups more and more.. Then one day when I was satisfied, I shot off a bipod at 300yds- my .5" 100yd groups were now 5" 300yd groups...

How did your groups "open up"? Vertically, horizontally, equally in both dimensions, etc.? Might give you some idea of what the most likely factor(s) could be. Also, pics of the groups at 100 and 200 yd might help you get better feedback.

The groups opened up mostly vertically. There was a lot of wind but the lateral movement wasn't much if any.

The good news is that I could (without any adjustment to the scope) change my hold and get tight groups. The problem is that the first shot, which I consider the most important shot was off by a MOA at best.

If you live by "one shot one kill" this is unacceptable.

If you're a 100% sure it's not your ammo then I'd say it's you. The JP rifles are known to be good.

You should sign up for the Online Training here on the Hide.

They cover shooting a Gas Gun vs. Bolt Gun as they are VERY different.