• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

rangefinding binos...who's using them

Leica 10x42 geovid HD-B

Glass is great. I had previous generation 8x56 for about 10 years and these are much brighter.

Laser is very good. Fast. Works in less than ideal conditions. Works when other handhelds don't, demonstrated up the hill after red hinds last October - stalker would have been goosed without my binos.

The ballistic function seems fine. My load happens to fit with one of the inbuilt profiles. I wasn't entirely convinced it was a fantastic idea - not necessarily very accurate vs dope, however I came to appreciate it as the binos give me a read on a hunting dope so I can be thinking about the wind. There is a limit on the bespoke ballistics app, can't remember what it was.

I like the ability to return information in a variety of formats e.g. MOA or equivalent horizontal range (drop) + true range (wind).

Dislikes - price !! You get what you pay for

I also looked at the equivalent Swaro EL. The glass looked marginally brighter (splitting hairs here, both are excellent). Laser was slightly slower but also ranged way out there effectively. Did not have the ballistics stuff. Dislikes - price !

Either would be great. I had an irrational preference for the way the lrf targeting looked and am a bit of a geek so preferred the ballistics functionality despite the fact i was sceptical about its value. The inbuilt ballistics function is not going to replace your dope.

Personal preference - both are very very good.

I use the Zeiss 8x45 T*RF. Not too many reviews out there. I quality of the glass is top tier. It is competitive with any high end Binos out there. Range finder is fast and accurate. Their warranty is transferable and there are outstanding used prices out there. I have owned mine for 7+ years they continue to perform superbly. They also come in 8 and 10 power as well as 45 and 56 mm objectives.

As a side note Zeiss stands behind their products. I had a 35 year old Zeiss ZA 2.5-10x52 *T Diavari scope that needed cleaning and replacement of the elevation turret. They cleaned/serviced the internals and replaced the turret. No questions asked. I was not the original owner had no paperwork. Zeiss did not charge me anything, not even postage. How do ya like that for standing behind their product.

Steiner Nighthunter 8x30LRF.

Pros: Glass is very good, easy to focus, compact design, very accurate ranging capability.

Cons: Reticle needs to be much brighter, no angle compensation, no provision to mount to a tripod.

Swarovski EL10x42. Nice size/feel. Glass is awsome, good range on LZ. Only issue is with the pressure needed to activate the LZ. At distance, I have to have some support to stay on target, or use the scan feature.

What model are you using and what are your likes / dislikes?

Vectors are great units, good glass, but even better ranging capabilities. I think they are great for LR shooting where you don't need a rapid acquisition between glassing, ranging and shooting. For that aspect I would highly suggest the EL Ranges, your getting the best glass, great magnification, awesome FOV, small compact package, and the ranging capabilities are great out to 1200yds, I've ranged over 2K on occasion. I've used the HD-B's they are very good as well, I personally think the EL's have the edge with glass brightness, and for lowlight conditions it fits our needs best.

I guess I could answer my own question, I went through several generations of leica geovids, then bought the swaro el ranges and liked the ergos better and the optics were stunning, but being right eye dominate I at times had problems with reading the yardage read out in the left barrel so I ended up selling them and buying another pair of geovids,..... the now discontinued HD-R's ( old body style) . I do like the rangefinding function better on the geovids and feel I really haven't given up much at all in quality of view, they compare quite well with the swaro SV's I also have.

My only RF bino is a Vector 21B and the glass is very good (not quite Swaro EL however) but the ranging is mind blowing how quickly and accurate they are. The con (and the reason I don't use it much) is the size of binos. I just don't have much use for binos outside of hunting. For LR shooting I prefer to pack a smaller LRF like the Sig Kilo 2200 or Swaro Laser Guide which does 99% of what I need in a LRF, and a spotter.

One of these days I'm going to have the time to go Elk hunting and I'll pack the Vectors for that. The combination of binos for glassing and LRF with triangulation abilities to find a FFP for a shot should work out great in one package.

I've been using the Swaro EL Range 10x42 for 4 years and would highly recommend. To start, I am left eye dominant, so the readings in the left lens isn't an issue for me. The glass is amazing and has been compared side by side with Leica many times and honestly I can't really tell a difference, even at low light. I won't use the ballistic app anyway, if there is a shot far enough that I have to dial I'll use my kestrel or I won't shoot, I just don't trust those. They are smaller then the Leica, which for hunting applications is the biggest perk. I "personally" don't like how the Leica fit ME (hands, face, eyes) I just don't prefer them.

I've never had the opportunity to try any of the aforementioned binos. I'm at least the two hours away from any dealer or a comp where I might make comparisons.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Bushnell One Mile Arc 10x40s off the Optics F/S Board here. Facing toward the sun, with the sun low on horizon, they will give a return on a large (tree) non reflective target to a mile. It usually takes triggering the laser several times. With your back to the sun you get to a mile on the first attempt and usually the same quartering to the sun. They have multiple programs based on possible foreground interference etc. which effectively help discern the target. Their ability to discern a small (elk, deer, silhouettes, etc.) target at distance are unknown to me as I can't steady them enough, even with support, at a 1000yds. to know I'm on target.

The glass is good but not great. My threshold is can you glass for an extended period without eye fatigue and they meet it. The glass has good color, is bright but you will not have reached infinity on the focus even past a mile. My old Swaros do this well before a thousand and it is very convenient. They provide distance and angle which is what I need for a 4500AB. The on board ballistic computer is incidental for me.

Reasonable price and more than adequate performance for me. Within their performance perameters they are a tremendous value.

Last edited:
Swaro EL Ranges have been excellent for me. Incredible glass, rugged as I have dropped them straight onto the rocks, and have ranged a little past 2000 yards with a rest. Laser is quick. Great set of LR hunting binos.

I use the Leica Geovid HD B 10x42. I use them for both hunting and PRS. I love having the built in range finder with the added filed of view the binoculars offer over a traditional rnge finder.

i have leica hd b 10 x 42 , use them for hunting and target. when hunting especially elk , they are a huge advantage over a hand held range finder . because you dont have to put your binos down pick up your rangefinder (which doesnt have the same magnification as your binos) and then find the animal in your scope. i love my leicas

I have the bushnell 1 mile arc and like quite a bit, especially at the price point.
Wonder if anyone has the new vortex fury ranging binos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leica HD B 10x42. Awesome glass, ranging is quick and accurate. Saves handling two separate devices during hunting scenarios.

My only gripe is that I'm too ignorant to figure out how to work the miniSD card for the ballistic info. May not be a problem for most.

Even if I never figure out how to make it work, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a pair of older Bushnells .... Decent glass, decent range finder, decent price.
That said, they were the only game in town at the $1k price range.
Thankfully that has charged with the introduction of the Nikon and Vortex units and there are rumors of other manufacturers coming to the party soon.
SHOT 2018 should be interesting.
FWIW, I had a pair of Leicas on order and cancelled it after I saw four Leica units fail at the Steel Safari this year.... Failed dead.
In a former life I worried in the precision optics world- precision beyond rifle scopes and binos- as a result, I'm a glass snob.
The Germans kick ass when it comes to optical quality and lens-train design..... But others are catching up quickly

Last edited:
I have a pair of the older style Leicas. They're about 3 years old. The first set failed (the laser) and was replaced under warranty. The replacement set is starting to show signs of problems now, too. The glass is obviously spectacular, but I find the ranging to be barely adequate. In fact, I had them at a PRS match last weekend and had to use another range finder because they would not give a return. I'm in the market for something else.