RCBS Chargemaster reprogramming

Re: RCBS Chargemaster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rcbs chargemaster is very nice. I loaded 100 rounds of .308 last night in about an hour or so.

My only beef with it is the with IMR 4064 the scale is not sensitive enough to detect a +or- 3 to 4 kernals. I notice that for my scale to go up 1/10 of a grain, it takes 3-4 kernals. I still get very accurate loads and velocities, but I am meticulous.

I am getting a promethius II for christmas this year. Brand has mine ready and will ship after the holidays, but I will keep my chargemaster for all my pistol loads.

I would not hesitate on the chargemaster: for the price, it cannot be beaten in my opinion. </div></div>

I have a Gen 1 Prometheus I love and will be sold to 427Cobra once I get the Gen II. The CM is great for accurate .223 and pistol rounds for me. I also use the CM with customers because loading on a Prometheus does not do them justice since they do not own one. Works great with a progressive press and powder-through die. I won a lot of Fort Wolters matches with a CM. It is a tool I like on the reloading bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rcbs chargemaster is very nice. I loaded 100 rounds of .308 last night in about an hour or so.

My only beef with it is the with IMR 4064 the scale is not sensitive enough to detect a +or- 3 to 4 kernals. I notice that for my scale to go up 1/10 of a grain, it takes 3-4 kernals. I still get very accurate loads and velocities, but I am meticulous.

I am getting a promethius II for christmas this year. Brand has mine ready and will ship after the holidays, but I will keep my chargemaster for all my pistol loads.

I would not hesitate on the chargemaster: for the price, it cannot be beaten in my opinion. </div></div>

I have a Gen 1 Prometheus I love and will be sold to 427Cobra once I get the Gen II. The CM is great for accurate .223 and pistol rounds for me. I also use the CM with customers because loading on a Prometheus does not do them justice since they do not own one. Works great with a progressive press and powder-through die on a progressive press. I won a lot of Fort Wolters matches with a CM. It is a tool I like on the reloading bench. </div></div>

CKA, thats funny that you already have a designated buyer for the promethius 1. That machine was a legend of it own. Brand tells me that the Promethius 2 is in a league of its own. I cant wait for mine. However he also says it works best with Varget. I wish I had not purchased gallons of IMR 4064.

Dude, I had to put an independent alarm on my gun room separate from the house alarm and glass breaks because 427 tries to sneak in there and touch/fiddle with it. No shit. Shooters here think he already has one since he has his claws are already sunk in it lol.

I threw a birthday party for him. He was in my house for 2 minutes before the secondary alarm went off, lol.

Did you try the McDonalds straw in the end of the tube. This does help. I do not know on how fast the promethius is or accurate. With a 260 round I can prime, powder, and seat 95 rounds in 40 to 48 minutes. This is throwing 48.3 grs. , and I don't settle for a +/- 2 tenths. I my loads on powder are died to the nuts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rcbs chargemaster is very nice. I loaded 100 rounds of .308 last night in about an hour or so.

I would not hesitate on the chargemaster: for the price, it cannot be beaten in my opinion.</div></div>

I read on the Promethius. It sounds like a fine product. Cost around $1175. Depending on what type of shooting you are doing. You can get you ES around 2 from the site that I read.

I still think the Chargemaster for most shooting is the best bang for the buck.
Here is the link.
http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Here is a link to the RCBS Chargemaster review.
http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Read the 2 articles and see what you think.

I tried a new powder with the RCBS chargemaster reprogramed. I use AA 2520 and it work great. I loaded for a grendel. It didn't take no time. I normally run 2 chargemasters but with this load only ran one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I change the low and medium powder settings together and don't mess with the big one. For doing the 300WM, IIRC, I was 8 on the first setting, 2.50 for the middle, and 1.5 or 1.25 for the last. The first setting is the fast speed, second for middle speed, and 3rd is for trickle. For a 308 Win size case, my settings were a little bigger. What's hard is throwing a charge from 8 grains to about 15 grains. For some reason, these weights wig out the machine, and can not get it to throw correctly. </div></div>

My works great on the settings I listed for the loads I'am doing. I have used these powders so far RL- 15,17, H4350, H4831sc,Varget, and AA2520.

XXX
I threw 2 different charge weights tonight. One was at 98grs and the other was 120grs of H4831SC. It work great. There was no difference between the weights. The programming on my machine works great at those numbers.

Yours should do the job.

Thanks for the info!! I will play with it in a few minutes. I shoot more of the heavy kickers than I do the lightweight ones..
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read on the Promethius. It sounds like a fine product. Cost around $1175. Depending on what type of shooting you are doing. You can get you ES around 2 from the site that I read.

I still think the Chargemaster for most shooting is the best bang for the buck.
Here is the link.
http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Here is a link to the RCBS Chargemaster review.
http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Read the 2 articles and see what you think. </div></div>

Your pricing is a bit out of date.

Well there you go. You can buy a lot of chargemaster for that price. Does it blow you to? How good would it have to be to spend that much. I can get my SDs in the 5 to 8 range all the time. So it might get you down to the 2 or 3s. Now you will need to hold the shot to make it worth the money.????

I've got one of the older Pact combo units and the new Chargemaster. Before re-programming they are about the exact same speed. After programming the Chargemaster is noticeably faster.

One watchout is when first using the Chargemaster, I would dispense a charge and it would weigh 29.0 grains on the Chargemaster scale. Weight it on the Pact scale and it would be anywhere from 30.4 to 31.1 grains. Re-calibrated many times still same problem. Started dumping back on Chargemaster scale and it would show what the Pact scale showed. Finally took the plastic cover off of the Chargemaster and it fixed the problem. It was static electricity. Rubbed a dryer sheet on the cover and wiped off with blue shop towel and now it works correctly with or without the cover.

Another watchout after re-programming is even shown on the video. When it gets to the target weight and beeps very quickly. You can bet that it went over the target weight. The scale will read the correct weight after as many as 30 seconds. I've verified it on the Pact scale and it will typically overshoot .2 to .3 grains on a 29.0 grain load. If there is a small amount of time for it to trickle the last bit, it will be right on the money.

The electronic scales are more accurate than any reloading beam balance scale I've used. I've verified them against a Sartorius lab scale. The RCBS beam scales have stayed in the box for years.

I think Chad was saying the same thing but when he reprogramed his. He set it to have a longer time for the powder to triclke. I have 2 RCBS chargemasters. Each one is set a hair different. Seems the machines do run different. I would set the chargemaster up and adjust according.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well there you go. You can buy a lot of chargemaster for that price. Does it blow you to? How good would it have to be to spend that much. I can get my SDs in the 5 to 8 range all the time. So it might get you down to the 2 or 3s. Now you will need to hold the shot to make it worth the money.???? </div></div>

It was worth the money to me, I know it is hard to belive, but it is. I loaded 100 rounds with my Promethius and 100 with my rcbs chargemaster. The chargemaster is not in the same league. you can tell which bullets came from which machine after shooting a few groups with each. I know the inital investment is hard to swallow for some, but the machine is elegant in design, faster, and WAY more accurate than the chargemaster. Nothing made on this earth comes close to what the promethius does. Check it out on You tube to see it in action.

Did the reprogramming and it works good I'm gonna try the other numbers that where suggusted to see if that kicks it up. One other little trick is I had a lot of static when I first got it and hit it with a very fine mist of Static Guard the stuff you spray on your clothes for static cling and wiped it out. It worked great.

After doing the reprogramming. Try the Mcdonalds straw. This will also help with the charge weight. Cut the straw about a 1/2 inch and put in into the tube. This allows the powder not to bunch up at the end of the tube.

I'm not having any luck with the straw and H-4831SC. About 2 out of 5 loads goes over by at least .2 grains some as much as .4 grains. It threw RL-15 with 29.0 grains just fine after re-programming. It is slowing down in plenty of time with H-4831SC, but when it trickles it still dumps too much at times. The powder is still bunching up even with the straw. I even tried elevating the front so that the tube isn't on much of a downward angle. I'm also noticing quite a lot of drift after the scale has been sitting for a while. I left it overnight and it was off by 4 grains the next morning. Re-calibrate and it drifts after sitting for an hour or so. Temperature is +- 10 degree variance. My old Pact scale was still dead-on. The bad part about the overcharge when trickling is the scale is indicating the correct weight but when I dump it on the Pact scale is when I see the discrepency. Re-calibrate and then the new scale shows the same as the Pact scale. I'm beginning to not trust this thing.

I took the cover off and it does the same thing. I'm going to try some rolled up printer paper vs. the straw. The straw isn't helping. The drift and indicating an improper weight is a lot more troublesome. Without a check scale you would never know.

I have tested my on different scales vs the chargemaster and works great. Try the paper thing. It might work. Try some static guard. This will throw the charge off. The powder normally bunches up at the end. By using something like a straw at the end should keep it from doing this.

Hey thanks guys for the reprogramming info on the ChargeMaster. I load .338's and .408's and it has made things go alot faster.
I am going to McDonalds tomorrow to get a straw and try that.

Read this post this morning--- re-programed my RCBS chagremaster and it seems to have speeded up the process somewhat. I don't have a stop watch as other do but seems faster. Loading .308's with varget to 42.8 so it was never unbearable long. Still get some "lumps" at the end during trickle phase, have to try the straw next.

If you make sure that the table that it is sitting on is perfectly still, it will drop faster as well. I set mine on a separate table or stand than what I am working on. Each time it senses vibrations or bumps it will stall to get stable. When I moved it to the separate table, it sped up quite a bit and all but stopped going over the charge.

I tried Rl-17 powder in the chargemaster. The chargemaster is fast and accurate.
I did the straw in the tube. Once I got the straw in the tube. I took a small phillps screwdriver and went to the inside the straw. Then made sure the straw was firmly againist the inside wall of the tube. You don't have to apply a lot of pressure but you do want the straw to fit correctly.