• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Re-Barreling Savage 110 In .338 Win Mag?

ZakBradshaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
I just bought a Savage 110 in 30-06 yesterday for $150. I read great reviews on these rifles that they are extremely accurate for the price. I was really wanting a rifle in .338 Win Mag, but couldn't seem to pass the 30-06 up for that price. I have read Savages are easy to swap barrels on, but my question is can I easily swap to .338 Win Mag from my 30-06? Numrich sells a couple .338 Win Mag barrels for the 110 Model, but none say just 110 they all have letters behind it. Will any model 110 barrel work on any 110 action? Also, Numrich sells the bolt face for $23. Will the .338 work in the 30-06 magazine? I think I read they are the same OAL, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, does anyone know of a company making these barrels? Thanks, Zak.

Re: Re-Barreling Savage 110 In .338 Win Mag?

As far as the barrel goes you need to know if it is a small shank or large shank. I would suspect it is a small shank. If the barrel you are looking at is also a small shank it should fit. You may want to wander over to savage shooters forum as they have a lot of information about everything Savage related.

I will warn you that once you swap one barrel you will be hooked. It is a disease without a cure.

I would get ahold of Jim Briggs from Northland Shooters Supply, on the Savage Shooters Forum (Phone - 763/682-4296). Give him a call, he will let you know exactly what you need and give you instructions on how to do it.

Your rifle is almost certainly a small shank receiver.

Is it a staggerfeed (mag boxed attached to action) or centerfeed (magazine in the stock)?

Get a barrel, a barrel nut wrench, a go-gage, a set of notched hardwood blocks to hold the barrel in a shop vise, a long action magnum bolt head, and a magnum magazine box & follower and SHAZAM less than 1 hour you've taken your '06 into a 338WM.