• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rear bag driving me nuts today with a semi auto

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Have your typical TAB gear rear bag and decided to shoot semis today. Ive always hated using rear bags with basically every adjustable AR stock there is as the bottom isnt flat and easy to get the bag evenly situated against like it is with a bolt gun stock/chassis.

So there i am, striggeljnf with this damn rear bag the entire time as far as getting comfortable on the gun as well as whenever id adjust anything, the damn bag would sag forward, or back, or to either side because i have to use it on its longest height, so it sits there tryjng to hunch over like a sack of potatos.

Does anyone have a better rear bag they use for AR's?

And a question regarding the rear bag screwing with recoil management and yours shots - would it be a symtom of something wrong with the rear bag, if Id constantly shoot 4 rounds in a 5 shot group together, and then basically every time have 1 round thats perfectly centered on the group be 2 to 3 inches high at 100? Seemd everytime my recoil management was off due to the damn bag and id see the reticle shift up on recoil....that happened.

I have actually had good results using my game changer bag as a rear bag in both bolt actions and semi’s. It’s a bit heavy but the fill in it give a much solid and dense, it’s proved to work very well as a rear bag for me.

I feel your pain. Rather than change bags I've decided to run a magpul PRS or luth ar stock at some point in the future. I would have done it already but my Ar is the last gun i think to grab when heading to the range.

Just not Ubermensch enough, more than likely... ?

What about using an Accushot monopod, or some such? I use one on my TRG-42 [300WM]with decent success, as well as my AR10...

I mainly shoot in the desert where the ground is really uneven. Trying to use a Monopod would be even more 'fun'.

As far as the shot that keeps wandering out of the ground and goes straight up 2-3 inches; is this rear bag related in that the recoil pushed the stock and the barrel end rose a bit during recoil?

http://www.triadtactical.com/Run-N-Gun-Bag.html

A bit bigger than the typical rear bag, but much more functional... Each dimension is different, giving 3 heights. Can be strapped to the hand guard as a front bag. Can use a sling swivel to attract to rifle so you don’t leave it accidentally. I’ve got rear bags of 4 differen5 designs and this is my favorite.

And, collapsible AR stocks suck for range shooting. Great for adjustability and fine for “run and gun,” but suck for precision.

I mainly shoot in the desert where the ground is really uneven. Trying to use a Monopod would be even more 'fun'.

As far as the shot that keeps wandering out of the ground and goes straight up 2-3 inches; is this rear bag related in that the recoil pushed the stock and the barrel end rose a bit during recoil?

Yeah, thats a fair point. When I was out in the sand it was much more of a challenge, but the bipod on the TRG is very low slung... and then I have a second pipod when that one doesnt work. (Of course, it wasnt all sand...)

This allows me to use my arm / hand to sturdy the gun. Though i do have a customer rear bag... I’m trying to remeber who made it for me... its been so long since i got it.

The AR10 would be a bit more challenging. Cole-TAC has some nice bag options: https://www.cole-tac.com/product-category/shooting-accessories/

Uwe

Last edited:
    Ill look into the bags mentioned, may try to temporarily make one too just to see what works.

As far as the single flyer out of the groups each time on the semi that i mentioned, any ideas on that? Thats whats really been bothering me.

I struggle with adjustable AR stocks and bags too. Obviously, we're trying to do something with those stocks they weren't really meant to do, or even designed for (perhaps there is one out there that is designed for precision rifle, IDK). I'm seriously considering going back to a fixed A2 stock on one of my rifles, with a wedge type rear bag.

AS far as the one flyer.... ( No offense ) it is probably you.... ( and your bag )

Make sure the rifle is inline ( with the POA ) without you pushing it at all ...

Easy to check at the bench, line up the rifle .. grab it and get in position, close your eyes ... let go of the rifle and see if it still lines up.... if it doesn't, MOVE the bags .. don't try to muscle the rifle.

Forcing the rifle around on the bags won't allow it to "kick" the same way every time.

AS far as the one flyer.... ( No offense ) it is probably you.... ( and your bag )

Make sure the rifle is inline ( with the POA ) without you pushing it at all ...

Easy to check at the bench, line up the rifle .. grab it and get in position, close your eyes ... let go of the rifle and see if it still lines up.... if it doesn't, MOVE the bags .. don't try to muscle the rifle.

Forcing the rifle around on the bags won't allow it to "kick" the same way every time.

This is what I was fighting because I knew what needed to be done, I had just been wrestling with the damn stock/bag match up. I'm thinking that the bag sometimes got a bit between me and the stock on the bottom end of if, and this made it tip upwards a hair when I shot.

Old school, fixed A2 stocks go on all my precision AR's.

Try filling a bag with denser filler material like sand. The most useful rear bag I ever made was just a small package of dried beans from the grocery store (left right in the plastic bag) stuffed into 2 old socks and tied in a knot.

Point is that most of the modern bags are made to run & gun so they are filled with lightweight poly materials that don't provide enough of a solid foundation. Especially noticed with AR's where you need to be higher off the ground or bench.

Old school, fixed A2 stocks go on all my precision AR's.

Try filling a bag with denser filler material like sand. The most useful rear bag I ever made was just a small package of dried beans from the grocery store (left right in the plastic bag) stuffed into 2 old socks and tied in a knot.

Point is that most of the modern bags are made to run & gun so they are filled with lightweight poly materials that don't provide enough of a solid foundation. Especially noticed with AR's where you need to be higher off the ground or bench.

I have a prototype TAB bag thats like twice the size of a regular one that they had sent me to try out. Also have one thats another inch in every direction bigger as well. They seem to be filled more. Was going to take all 3 and try them as this whole fiasco was simply because I couldn't get the damn bag to work.