• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reasonably priced rifle case, shooting mat?

Swampcrawler65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
Work is keeping me from actually shooting, so I’m just working on ordering the stuff I think I need.

Once the bipod gets delivered and mounted, my Bergara is no longer going to fit in the hunting rifle case I’ve been stuffing it into.

Also, once the bipod shows, I’ll start going prone and learning that. I’ve only really been shooting from a bench.

Anyway. I searched but didn’t come up with much. What do you guys recommend without going crazy on the spending? Say 200 for both?

Are the combo drag bag/shooting mats recommended or should a guy get separate items? Looking forward to your thoughts.

Check out galati. They make a nice mat/case combo. I have one and it's held up nicely. The standard size fits in my storm case. I'm tall so I bought the longer version. Well made and lots of padding. The only complaint I have is the two leatherish squares on either side if the mat. They heat up like crazy if the mat is in the sun. I have been thinking about just carefully removing them.

I have a friend with a Galati drag bag/mat combo. It's really nice. I'm not sure of pricing, but it's not one of the most expensive ones out there, so it might fit your requirement of "reasonably priced". Build quality seemed really good and it's quite comfortable to shoot from. Lots of padding and storage.

Since reading and posting in this thread I got curious. So I googled a bit and midway is still blowing out the drag bags. You could get one for $50 and I have heard great things about the midway shooting mat. You would be at $110 plus shipping or upgrade to the pro drag bag and be around your $200 mark.

Reactions: Terry H
Since reading and posting in this thread I got curious. So I googled a bit and midway is still blowing out the drag bags. You could get one for $50 and I have heard great things about the midway shooting mat. You would be at $110 plus shipping or upgrade to the pro drag bag and be around your $200 mark.

Midway drag bags and shooting mats are very serviceable and represent decent value.

Creedmoor and champion’s choice make some good mats, I believe they are up around $100 or so, but they last forever. You don’t hear about those much around here since high power shooters use them most, but they are good quality. I still have a freeland mat that I’ve had for like..... 25 year’s, and it’s still going!

I recently got a 42" rifle bag from Propper, it was about $80 and no shipping. Really surprised at how well it is built for the price. Beats the pants off more expensive bags I have seen in stores.

Champion choice has great product and great customer service have dealt with them on many transactions from a few dollar to 6 or 7 thousand dollar orders and it’s always the same great customer service

I have been using a Voodoo drag bag for about 7 or 8 years now and have zero complaints. It will hold two rifles and there is a separate pouch for each rifles bolt and an internal sleave for cleaning rod. Has an abundance of molle gear pouches on outside, a single strap carry sling that is removable and very well made back pack shoulder straps that can be stowed within the bag when not in use. Cant remember what I paid for it but it has been a great case.