• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recoil Control For Load Development - Hunting Rifle

725franky

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Michigan
I put together a .45 Raptor bolt action rifle this year to use for Whitetail hunting in Michigan. I have been trying to do load development, but I am not getting the results I was hoping for. I'm not sure if my shooting is to blame, or if I just haven't found the right combo yet.

Any shooting tip are appreciated.

I am experiencing a significant amount of rifle movement during recoil. .Keep in mind that this is not a heavy bench gun, and I am pushing a 275 gr projectile at a pretty good speed. The gun is well shouldered, but I am not using anything to hold it down (my second hand is on the rear bag).

In frustration, I've grabbed my bolt action .223 to validate my shooting, but it really isn't a good comparison because there is such negligible recoil from it. But I can shoot small with it, so there is that.

Franky
Hop over this this thread for a lot of good Ideas. Its the same questions that has a conversation going.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/practical-steps-for-dealing-with-recoil.6965531/

After mostly shooting a .223 bolt action rifle with the occasional .270 Win thrown in, I purchased a Tikka T3X Lite in 30-06. The Tikka weighs about a pound less than my .270 Weatherby Vanguard, and to me the recoil from the bench has been surprisingly harsh - even with 150 grain bullets and a limbsaver pad.

I read all the time that recoil in the 30-06 is manageable for most teens and adults, and I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Are there specifics when it comes to posture and positioning of the rifle on the shoulder to help with recoil? Should I keep my shoulder tense, loosen it up, or something in between?

I would like to avoid adding a muzzle break - for now, at least.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Handling recoil with a larger caliber firearm is all about the fundamentals of marksmanship. Especially recoil management and trigger control.

1. Be square behind the rifle. Shoulders, Hips and Feet perpendicular to the rifle barrel. No angles. Don't "blade off" on the bench.
2. Rearward pressure with the firing hand, Solid pressure into the should pocket.
3. Relaxed shoulder, No tense muscles. Bicep tension only to pull rearward
4. Let your body absorb the recoil. Take the recoil! Man up!
5. Don't slap the trigger. Shooters start to do this then the recoil increases.
6. Keep your face in the gun and don't flinch. Man up and eat the recoil. Try double ear protection if this is an issue. sounds weird, but try it out.
Good Luck.

Reactions: 725franky
Jack,

I appreciate the response. You had me smiling at the "Man up and eat the recoil" :ROFLMAO:

I watched the videos on the thread link you provided, good stuff!! I am looking forward to the 3rd video they are putting together.

I fully intend to work through this, and I am sure, putting my pride to the side, that I am experiencing the results of some bad shooting habits that were never realized with lighter recoiling guns (most rifle experience was with a .308 that was equipped with a muzzle break). I hope to come out of this learning experience as a better shooter, a shooter practicing better and more consistent form.

After doing more reading/searching, I think that I have a couple of areas where I know I need to improve:
  1. Not being overly tense upon firing.
  2. Adjusting my butt to scope eyepiece distance, so that I am not leaning forward to catch a better sight picture.
  3. Taking more time to set up my initial shot, so I am not squeezing the rear bag as much and relying on muscle to hold my alignment.
  4. Keeping the rear support directly under the cheek contact point (as much as possible).
  5. Not wrapping my thumb around the grip.
  6. Pay attention to posture/alignment, and keep my feet flat on the ground.
Thanks,

-Frank