• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recommended .22 WMR rifle and loads for hunting hogs?

MeatAxe556

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
I know it sounds crazy, but these are the idiotic rules at a nearby military reservation that is infested with feral pigs: only rimfire weapons / ammunition are allowed, or shotguns with T shot or smaller, to hunt hogs.

I figure if I can find an accurate rifle / load capable of penetrating the skull behind the ear, i may be OK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd be looking at a CZ455 or Sako Quad solely due to the versatility. My only 22WMR is a Henry lever action. Sweet rifle but limited, it's a truck gun for simplicity. I really wish I had gotten it in 22lr in the first place, but I guess I "needed" a reason to get another Henry!

Ammo is still slim pickings for now, but available for a price. It's more per round than 5.56 is running. I'll defer the hog loads to others who are more knowledgeable on that since mine is used only for varmints.

I use a CZ 22wmr or a 17 hmr in 20 gr fmj to deal with shoats
attracted to the feed troughs on the family farm. Would not recommend
going up against an adult hog with a rimfire unless I had no other choice.
The shoats are less than 50 lbs and a head shot will drop 'em.
Adult hogs will go 120 to 200 lbs in the Suwannee area of N. Fla.
Very tough animals that require a heavier caliber to take safely.

Had to look in the ammo box to see what we've been using lately.
CCI 40 gr Maxi Mag fmj flat nose has been effective the last few trips.
Distances are less than 50 yards so the typical 3/4 inch spread
of the 22wmr at that range will still put a round where you want it.

Last edited:
22 WMR for wild hogs

You are correct. Those are "Idiotic Rules". I have hunted wild hogs in TN and once saw a large boar that was killed by my buddy. When we went to the taxidermist to have the head mounted, he found a 38 spl slug embedded in the boars skull right between the eyes. It had healed around the slug. I witnessed this first hand. While I have seen 1000 lb bulls dropped on our farm with a single round from a 22lr to the brain, this was done at contact distance for slaughter and we cut its throat as well. The 22 was just the knockout blow and is not a good choice for large game.

A 200+ lb wild boar is a tough animal and can be somewhat dangerous when cornered. A 22 WMR will kill one if the shot is well placed but... If not, you will find yourself facing a large, scared, pissed off, wounded animal and that is unpredictable and dangerous. You will need max penetration. I am guessing that the 40g FMJ if the likely best of a long list of BAD choices, in this case. A jacketed soft point is next. Avoid the hollow points as they might not drill deep enough through these large beasts to do any damage. Keep in mind that while shorter and more compact, a wild boar can easily weigh in twice as heavy as a whitetail buck. If you shoot one, shoot it again immediately. Then give him the old pig sticker with a large blade knife. Thinking Gerber BMF and similar blades. Hunt close enough to trees that if charged, you can grab a limb and tuck your legs up high enough to allow the pig to pass underneath you. Have fun and be safe.

Irish

PS: I once shot a 325lb boar with a .308, 165g Nosler ballistic tip at a range of 5 feet. It was a perfect shoulder shot that penetrated both lungs and wrecked all the plumbing in the top of the heart. The boar did not flinch and proceeded to fight with three hounds and then run for about 40yds before reality finally let him know that he was dead. Remember this when you are about to shoot your first pig with that 22, lol.

Winchester recently came out with a new rimfire load - the 17 Winchester Super Magnum. Savage makes a rifle chambered for the round. Might be worth consideration for your application.

Ammo is still vaporware on that one, but certainly a worthy suggestion if you can come by a brick of the stuff.
Your right about the .17 WMR availability it is sporadic but I see the .17 HMR everywhere I go Walmart, BX (Base Exchange), Cabelas and LGS's I'd get the .17 HMR in a heartbeat. At Camp Bullis here in San Antonio the same rules apply FWIW the CZ 455 is available in a kit with both a .22 LR and .17 HMR barrel. I have the CZ 452 in .22 LR and by today's standards with some of the cheap, poor quality rifles that are available the CZ is a fantastic piece of hardware (heirloom quality). Call Whittaker Guns in Kentucky or visit their website they are a major dealer for CZ and always have very good prices.

While 17HMR is lethal as hell on small varmints, I would seriously question the penetration characteristics of the common projectiles when taking on a hog. XTP would be borderline for the small guys, but certainly wouldn't use VMax.

If you can dot them in the eye...possibly.

I took out a 300+lb Russian boar with an 168gr Sierra gameking from a .30-06 at about 50yds. Bullet entered at right shoulder, broke two ribs, took out right lung, top of the heart, top of left lung, bounced off the left shoulder, broke another right and bullet nestled up under the gristle on the opposite side. No flinch, no squeal, no jump, no run...calmly walked 40 more yards before dropping. This was a youngster whose tusks were just beginning to turn...

I am just not seeing .17hmr as a viable hog round unless you are talking the footballs. Then you are gonna have to deal with momma hog....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you can dot them in the eye...possibly.

I took out a 300+lb Russian boar with an 168gr Sierra gameking from a .30-06 at about 50yds. Bullet entered at right shoulder, broke two ribs, took out right lung, top of the heart, top of left lung, bounced off the left shoulder, broke another right and bullet nestled up under the gristle on the opposite side. No flinch, no squeal, no jump, no run...calmly walked 40 more yards before dropping. This was a youngster whose tusks were just beginning to turn...

I am just not seeing .17hmr as a viable hog round unless you are talking the footballs. Then you are gonna have to deal with momma hog....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You're lucky. I shot a medium sized (100#) hog with that same exact load and it knocked it over -- it then got up, shook itself off and ran up the hill after me with a wad of its guts hanging out the exit hole. Luckily I hit it at close range with a head shot and stopped it for good. I've seen another bigger hog shrug off multiple hits by that same load. Needless to say, I no longer use Sierra Gameking!

I switched to ballistic tips (Winchester e-tips and xpc) in .308 which work much better. Even Hornady SST 7.62x39 out of an AK will slap down 200+# hogs with one shot.

You are correct. Those are "Idiotic Rules". I have hunted wild hogs in TN and once saw a large boar that was killed by my buddy. When we went to the taxidermist to have the head mounted, he found a 38 spl slug embedded in the boars skull right between the eyes. It had healed around the slug. I witnessed this first hand. While I have seen 1000 lb bulls dropped on our farm with a single round from a 22lr to the brain, this was done at contact distance for slaughter and we cut its throat as well. The 22 was just the knockout blow and is not a good choice for large game.

A 200+ lb wild boar is a tough animal and can be somewhat dangerous when cornered. A 22 WMR will kill one if the shot is well placed but... If not, you will find yourself facing a large, scared, pissed off, wounded animal and that is unpredictable and dangerous. You will need max penetration. I am guessing that the 40g FMJ if the likely best of a long list of BAD choices, in this case. A jacketed soft point is next. Avoid the hollow points as they might not drill deep enough through these large beasts to do any damage. Keep in mind that while shorter and more compact, a wild boar can easily weigh in twice as heavy as a whitetail buck. If you shoot one, shoot it again immediately. Then give him the old pig sticker with a large blade knife. Thinking Gerber BMF and similar blades. Hunt close enough to trees that if charged, you can grab a limb and tuck your legs up high enough to allow the pig to pass underneath you. Have fun and be safe.

Irish

PS: I once shot a 325lb boar with a .308, 165g Nosler ballistic tip at a range of 5 feet. It was a perfect shoulder shot that penetrated both lungs and wrecked all the plumbing in the top of the heart. The boar did not flinch and proceeded to fight with three hounds and then run for about 40yds before reality finally let him know that he was dead. Remember this when you are about to shoot your first pig with that 22, lol.

Thanks for the advice!

I hear what you're saying! We've killed a fair number of hogs and one thing about them is that they can really take some lead and keep going.

One thing this .22 WMR restriction will do is force us to be accurate -- but we'll keep a Vepr 12 at the ready with 11 rounds of T shot to try to discourage them from coming after us if we just succeed in pissing them off! Probably will hunt from a tree stand or a vehicle to make sure we stay out of reach.

Your right about the .17 WMR availability it is sporadic but I see the .17 HMR everywhere I go Walmart, BX (Base Exchange), Cabelas and LGS's I'd get the .17 HMR in a heartbeat. At Camp Bullis here in San Antonio the same rules apply FWIW the CZ 455 is available in a kit with both a .22 LR and .17 HMR barrel. I have the CZ 452 in .22 LR and by today's standards with some of the cheap, poor quality rifles that are available the CZ is a fantastic piece of hardware (heirloom quality). Call Whittaker Guns in Kentucky or visit their website they are a major dealer for CZ and always have very good prices.

I am really impressed with what I've seen of CZ pistols and have heard nothing but good things about their centerfire and rimfire rifles. It seems you get a lot of bang for the buck from former East Bloc manufacturers.

Has anyone tried any of the Zastava Mini-Mausers?

I see them for sale from Centerfire Systems and KVAR. They look good and are relatively cheap.

You could use a hollow point and buy some tig welding rod and cut and sharpen it and jb weld it into the tip for the added penetration of the tungsten rod.

Just a thought. My cousin did this with a rifle. It was a larger caliber, but the rod went through the steel plate whereas the plain bullet did not.

Nope, not really the best idea, I agree.
It's one thing to take a solo shoat with it's attention on a feed trough
another thing entirely running up against a full grown boar
or sow with piglets and porcine backup in the brush around you.
Ever look at a hog skull? Serious reinforcement there to hold those tusks.

wildboarskullbg.jpg

I agree on not doing it if given a choice. If you must, I still reccomend the Win 61 with winchester solid 40 grain bullets. They will shoot right through the skull in the brain area. They also shoot right through a 6x6 wood block. They are truly FMJ. The 61 is for rapid shooting and very accurate.

I'd second the "idiotic rules", but at least your local military isn't trying to scare them off with BFAs. On the other note, with the use of rimfires only. That would be an interesting challenge, and possible team effort.

I think some posters are underestimating a 22 mag solid bullet. It is abundantly powerful for brain shots. Pigs are not dangerous.
Keep in mind that a .22 mag is more powerful in relation to size than a .375 H&H is to an elephant which is also brain shot with solid bullets.

Suggest you don't hunt hogs with a Rimfire, I'm serious.

Well, they do allow concealed carry handguns if you have a permit -- as long as they're "open carry" and not used for hunting.

So, just in case, I'll probably sling a 7.62x39 AK pistol over my shoulder loaded with SSTs -- can't get much more "open carry" than that for a "hand gun."

I think some posters are underestimating a 22 mag solid bullet. It is abundantly powerful for brain shots. Pigs are not dangerous.
Keep in mind that a .22 mag is more powerful in relation to size than a .375 H&H is to an elephant which is also brain shot with solid bullets.

Not of if I can take this comment seriously lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There used to be a great deal of anger toward the Remington 597 Magnums plastic magazines and the early alloy fix.

I say jump in with both feet and @ $400 and get a huge smile on your face.

422CCB9C03B0D06227D89493AB3CBFD5.jpg

My brother's 597M loves the 33gr poly tipped fodder for paper punching but I'd opt for some of the heavier pills that are available.

The CCI 40gr Game Point is respected at Predator Masters Forums for hog work.

Don't forget the Evolution Gun Works Remington 597 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount #40300.

Last edited:
I shot a 120lb sow three times in the ear, eye, and forehead with a 22mag from 10ft (in a trap). Died badly, and took too long, very unpleasant. Hogs are one of those animals where the old "shot placement is king, and you can use a 22" adage is just not true. IMO, 22 RF is not adequate for these tough bastards. But? if that's the ROE, hit em in the head as much as you can. You are likely gonna need multiple hits, so an autoloader is not a bad idea. For me, 223 is min on hogs. I don't wanna see an animal die that hard again, even if is just a hog.

I know it sounds crazy, but these are the idiotic rules at a nearby military reservation that is infested with feral pigs: only rimfire weapons / ammunition are allowed, or shotguns with T shot or smaller, to hunt hogs.

I figure if I can find an accurate rifle / load capable of penetrating the skull behind the ear, i may be OK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What ranges are we talking?

If close enough, you could use the cut shell or "Redneck Slug" method by perforating/cutting a shotgun shell in the wad area with the tip of a knife. The goal is that the hull rips off there and the entire front piece becomes a slug.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOg6YvBeXk#t=44 and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BlbiKUWkyI

If you must use the 22WMR I would get the Izmash 7-4 toggle action. They are fast and extremely precise. The 22WMR version has been showing up new lately. Use the FMJs as suggested.

Last edited:
Same stupid rules on my wma but I have taken 4 in the last 2 years with a marlin bolt action. 3 behind the ear and one between the eyes. 35 yards max on all of em. Put the wind in your face and move in.

What ranges are we talking?

If close enough, you could use the cut shell or "Redneck Slug" method by perforating/cutting a shotgun shell in the wad area with the tip of a knife. The goal is that the hull rips off there and the entire front piece becomes a slug.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOg6YvBeXk#t=44 and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BlbiKUWkyI

If you must use the 22WMR I would get the Izmash 7-4 toggle action. They are fast and extremely precise. The 22WMR version has been showing up new lately. Use the FMJs as suggested.

Interesting. While it doesn't violate the letter of the law, I guess it violates the spirit of the bird shot regulation!

What the hell, I sure as hell don't want to get my legs lacerated by a pissed off boar!

Will it work with Dead Coyote T Shot?

Have hunted hogs over 35 yrs and know they can be dangerous----800+lbs got you into the record book back then and now it is 1200lb + . I would use the 22 mag only from an extremely secure treestand. I use an Ar15 (.450, .458, or .50 Grendel) and thus far all are DRT with those calibers---no .556 unless testing new bullets (Barnes). When a simple minded teen-age thrill seeker we would use a Ruger .22 auto pistol at close range after the pack had run down a big pig and the catch dog was released to hold him.
You have to put the .22 round in the ear or eye socket to get it into the brain and swirl around for a quick kill. Those that feel hogs are not dangerous have only been hunting the little ones as I have seen them do intensive damage to dogs and humans. There are several outfits that cater to adrenaline junkies for huge fees to collect trophies---they employ catch dogs and the client steps up to slit the throat with a knife. I thought I was stupid with a 22! My EDC truck gun is an AR15 14.5 Grendel that has been used for wild boars many times but it was because it was with me when opportunity presented itself. .22mag is marginal at best, but like I said, I would only use it from a stout tree stand as when you piss off a good sized pig he will hit the tree with enough force to try and knock you out of said sapling

Have hunted hogs over 35 yrs and know they can be dangerous----800+lbs got you into the record book back then and now it is 1200lb + . I would use the 22 mag only from an extremely secure treestand. I use an Ar15 (.450, .458, or .50 Grendel) and thus far all are DRT with those calibers---no .556 unless testing new bullets (Barnes). When a simple minded teen-age thrill seeker we would use a Ruger .22 auto pistol at close range after the pack had run down a big pig and the catch dog was released to hold him.
You have to put the .22 round in the ear or eye socket to get it into the brain and swirl around for a quick kill. Those that feel hogs are not dangerous have only been hunting the little ones as I have seen them do intensive damage to dogs and humans. There are several outfits that cater to adrenaline junkies for huge fees to collect trophies---they employ catch dogs and the client steps up to slit the throat with a knife. I thought I was stupid with a 22! My EDC truck gun is an AR15 14.5 Grendel that has been used for wild boars many times but it was because it was with me when opportunity presented itself. .22mag is marginal at best, but like I said, I would only use it from a stout tree stand as when you piss off a good sized pig he will hit the tree with enough force to try and knock you out of said sapling

I've been hunting hogs for 20+ years, so I appreciate how tough and dangerous they can be. Therefore, we'll be hunting from a secure tree stand or a truck. I'm not taking any chances getting a very septic wound from a hog. The .22 rimfire limitation is not my idea, those are the regs for the WMA.

I shot a 120lb sow three times in the ear, eye, and forehead with a 22mag from 10ft (in a trap). Died badly, and took too long, very unpleasant. Hogs are one of those animals where the old "shot placement is king, and you can use a 22" adage is just not true. IMO, 22 RF is not adequate for these tough bastards. But? if that's the ROE, hit em in the head as much as you can. You are likely gonna need multiple hits, so an autoloader is not a bad idea. For me, 223 is min on hogs. I don't wanna see an animal die that hard again, even if is just a hog.
Yep this pretty much sums it up - ain't gonna be fun to watch.

Wow I cant believe all these hog hunters on here, and how the hog is the most armored plated animal in the kingdom. First I have hunted lots and lots of hogs in the Orange groves and tomato fields in southwest Florida. Below the Caloosahatchee river any thing else is a Yankee. We catch most of them with a 1/4-1/2 inch nylon rope and two or three dogs. They are not this great beast that will kill you running. For real when is the last time anyone has ever really known someone to actually die from a pig.

Now I will tell you something, shooting a pig behind the ear or between the eyes is stupid. I am glad someone post a pic of the skull of the Pig skull. If you take the time and study the animal your going to kill you will see that the weakest part of the skull of that pig is about 2-3 inches in front of the ear. Think about your Temple of your own skull. Shoot it there with a 40 grain bullet, and I don't care how big it is. If your really still scared go up a ladder stand or tree stand. Then you have nothing to worry about.

Remember, if you don't cut their balls off, their no good to eat. That is why we use to catch them with cut their balls off, mark their ears and let them go. You catch them after the mark in the ear is healed and then you can shoot and eat them.