• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recs for a budget spotting scope out to 300 yards

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I need a spotting scope to check target hits on 100 and 300 yard ranges. Any recommendations? I'm pretty cheap - is there any kind of stand that I can attach an unused scope to? I have a Vortex Viper 4-20x sitting around. Would that suffice or is more power recommended? TBH I've never looked through a dedicated spotting scope.

I need a spotting scope to check target hits on 100 and 300 yard ranges. Any recommendations? I'm pretty cheap - is there any kind of stand that I can attach an unused scope to? I have a Vortex Viper 4-20x sitting around. Would that suffice or is more power recommended? TBH I've never looked through a dedicated spotting scope.

I've used this with a spare scope when a stage declared no laser range finders. The longer eye relief makes it a bit of a pain for regular use but if need a cheap stop gap till you can afford better it works.

Yeah, that adapter might work. I have an arca tripod. I was thinking these spotters would be on small stands for use on a range shooting table (since that is what I noticed some guy using yesterday).

My use case is when I take my open sight AR to the 100 yard range and want to see how it is patterning. And likely for shooting on our 300 yard range, but I haven't done that in 4 or 5 years. The two rifles I use most frequently have 14x scopes and I just don't remember if I can see my hits thru my scoped rifles.